Archived TM's: What is your favorite way to be recognized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that worked well for redcards at our store was TM’s for an extra 15 if they got a RedCard.

We used to do that too. However, with low hours being the norm, it's all but impossible to get 15's in as it is. No way to get extra 15's in.

Long ago, I had an ETL who came to me at my work area & told me how much she appreciated my hard work which resulted in a great audit.
She also gave me a $5 gift card, enough for a combo meal at the time.
It was earnest & sincere; I felt truly valued.

They stopped with all treats about a year ago......I guess that we went way over budget a few times.
Thanks are given at Huddles, but most of the time the people that get thanked are not at the huddle.

I appreciate any positive and sincere comments.

During the holidays
My flow TL would recognize the 2 hardest workers on the team with $15 gift card and a free Gatorade every week
That was nice because it also motivated everyone else to work harder so they can get that prize

Just any recognition for a job well done. I have a fantastic and supportive TL, but being the only modernized department in the store tends to make us and, by extension, my team's work go completely unrecognized. Even our ETL is hard pressed to give us so much as a "good job today, guys." I know that's due to our store's low head count requiring one ETL to oversee consumables, pog, and all of logistics (which is insane, btw) and the fact that our team is regularly the only one under his watch that gets the job done in timely fashion, but still. Good management means recognizing good work, not just reprimanding bad work.

You expect your boss to thank you for your time...to do the job you're being paid to do? I'm confused--it's one thing if you're helping out another work center or going above and beyond, but I don't expect thanks for doing my job. That's what they pay me for.

You expect your boss to thank you for your time...to do the job you're being paid to do? I'm confused--it's one thing if you're helping out another work center or going above and beyond, but I don't expect thanks for doing my job. That's what they pay me for.

Yes, I do expect a "thank-you" or a "good job" comment once in awhile. Even though you are paid for your work it sure does help to build solid trusting relationships between co-workers. I mean if there is someone who makes positive comments to me about my work it is like getting a quick pat on the back...it is RECOGNITION.....and as a TM I like feeling appreciated. For the person who has provided the recognition for me then helps me to be more willing to go to that person for help regarding my job and be more willing to trust that person.....and be willing to help that person in the future....and then the person who provides the recognition will be willing to help the TM, too.

Pay makes a job.
Thanks makes the job more pleasant.
Positive reinforcement builds a better work culture.
TMs can provide positive comments to other TMs. This builds trust and friendship.
Money is only a small part of it.....the people around you also make a huge difference. If the people around you are assholes, then no matter what your pay is the money might not make the job worth it.

Well, with the amount of work that most TM's have been doing because Target likes to cut hours and rearrange things, most of us are stressed out and overworked. A simple thank you for working your butt off is not hard.

Not a starbucks drink.

I'd rather get a Target bullseye dog/Target jacket/my face on the wall/recognition in huddles.

If it's just for working hard, yes a starbucks drink would be fine but get the biggest size.

Last edited:
Recognition is not just for going above and beyond. Good leaders know that. A solid team member who never misses a day, does their job accurately and quickly and never complains is a treasure. These are the people who often get overlooked with a "sincere thank you". Did they do anything spectacular? No. But their consistency makes every leaders job easier. They are an example to new team members of what expectations are. Sadly too often the ones who get kudos are the loudmouths and ass kissers. The ones who are too busy stroking their bosses egos and letting their own work slide. Guess who picks up the slack? Sure there are people that "help out other work centers", guess who is doing extra work now to keep the original work center in order? Yeah these are our solid team members who deserve a "job well done" recognition. Managers and leaders who fail to recognize importance of these solid team members do not know how to lead or manage

To each his own but I disagree. Pay is for my time. A simple thank you once in a while from a leader or a fellow tm is nice to hear. We are humans not robots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back