Archived TM's: What is your favorite way to be recognized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recognition is not just for going above and beyond. Good leaders know that. A solid team member who never misses a day, does their job accurately and quickly and never complains is a treasure. These are the people who often get overlooked with a "sincere thank you". Did they do anything spectacular? No. But their consistency makes every leaders job easier. They are an example to new team members of what expectations are. Sadly too often the ones who get kudos are the loudmouths and ass kissers. The ones who are too busy stroking their bosses egos and letting their own work slide. Guess who picks up the slack? Sure there are people that "help out other work centers", guess who is doing extra work now to keep the original work center in order? Yeah these are our solid team members who deserve a "job well done" recognition. Managers and leaders who fail to recognize importance of these solid team members do not know how to lead or manage

Receiving and a few tm's in Softlines do a good job in our store. Not only do they have to do their own tasks, but they constantly have to clean up sh!t others leave behind.

Eye contact and a head nod to acknowledge my existence.
Be careful with eye contact, they may blind you with their headlights and take your soul and you will be one of them. We had an ETL like that who was kind of giving us that type of vibe. So glad he's no longer with the company.

You expect your boss to thank you for your time...to do the job you're being paid to do? I'm confused--it's one thing if you're helping out another work center or going above and beyond, but I don't expect thanks for doing my job. That's what they pay me for.
Then why did we have the team recognition vibe cards? I'd rather come to work and feel valued and appreciated then coming in and getting shit talk for doing my work from petty leaders.

A more fair raise based on merit and seniority. Also Target gift cards at least!

The "you cards" hold zero credibility in our store. Whenever we are expecting a visit, the HR-ETL grabs a stack, calls an "emergency leader meeting" and we all have to fill out 10 so the board looks good. Then she started a contest for who wrote the most. 2 ETLS were in a pissing contest over that. They wrote great team cards for "picking up that piece of paper" "closing a door""wearing a really cute red shirt". A sincere thank you for a specific task to a specific person is #1 to me. I have also given an extra 15 minute break, starbucks. make your own schedule for 1 week, DVD, 12 pack of soda etc.

You expect your boss to thank you for your time...to do the job you're being paid to do? I'm confused--it's one thing if you're helping out another work center or going above and beyond, but I don't expect thanks for doing my job. That's what they pay me for.

Yes. I absolutely do expect my boss to acknowledge my work. Just as I thank people for their service to me, regardless of whether it's their paid job or not. Receiving positive reinforcement plays a large part in job satisfaction.

If given the choice between a Vibe/You card or a timely and direct expression of thanks, I'll take the verbal every single time. IMO, the cards are more about making sure that OTHER people see that I've recognized you. How many of those are a follow up to a direct thank you? Very few, I suspect, especially given the comments here about giving recognition to someone who isn't in the huddle or mass card writing in advance of a district visit.

The "you cards" hold zero credibility in our store. Whenever we are expecting a visit, the HR-ETL grabs a stack, calls an "emergency leader meeting" and we all have to fill out 10 so the board looks good. Then she started a contest for who wrote the most. 2 ETLS were in a pissing contest over that. They wrote great team cards for "picking up that piece of paper" "closing a door""wearing a really cute red shirt". A sincere thank you for a specific task to a specific person is #1 to me. I have also given an extra 15 minute break, starbucks. make your own schedule for 1 week, DVD, 12 pack of soda etc.
I wish you worked at my store.

I write a ton of “you” cards / recognition cards for people so it’s nice to read in this thread that people actually like receiving one!

I write a ton of “you” cards / recognition cards for people so it’s nice to read in this thread that people actually like receiving one!
Every time I see the "you" board, especially that topper that says "#YouMakeSpot", it makes me think of this song.

You-oo-oo.....You....oo....oo...You...oo...oo...You....oo....oo.....Oh my goodness!
In listening to this it made made me think of a record skipping!

Our logistics TL and ETL are really great with telling people thank you, great job today, etc. It really does make me feel appreciated. And I think I work hard and do a good job, so it's nice to hear that my leads agree.
For the store in general, we do get a lot of food. Although not so much at the moment because the break room is under construction and everyone's scattered between the cafe and their cars for breaks.
My fave is when I'm told to pick an item of my choice under x dollar amount. Or gift cards... I'd probably prefer gift cards at the moment. Saving up for an Xbox One X.

Our logistics TL and ETL are really great with telling people thank you, great job today, etc. It really does make me feel appreciated. And I think I work hard and do a good job, so it's nice to hear that my leads agree.
For the store in general, we do get a lot of food. Although not so much at the moment because the break room is under construction and everyone's scattered between the cafe and their cars for breaks.
My fave is when I'm told to pick an item of my choice under x dollar amount. Or gift cards... I'd probably prefer gift cards at the moment. Saving up for an Xbox One X.

Oh man. My store stopped dishing out recognition swag like 3 years ago. Lol

We still do t-shirts and other swag for RedCards and Guest Recognition. (The white stripped jacket is still my favorite) As for general stuff, we usually have free pizza, snacks, beverages, candy, etc... in the break room. We are a district store though, so they keep a closer eye on that kind of stuff. 'An unhappy Team, is an unhappy store'.
Had spent about an hour and a half with a Guest, on the phone with Virgin Mobile. I got a beverage and snack of my choice. I thought that was pretty awesome!

At my full time job there isn’t a whole lot of perks but we get profit sharing if we all do great during a particular quarter.

Getting trained in Electronics when I first started and they went over AAR and SRP numbers and that sometimes when we’re #1 in our district they’ll have a bowl of candy back there. My team lead thought he was sooooooo cool for mentioning this “perk”.

We’ve been #1 several times (with me leading the pack all the time) and I’ve yet to see any chocolate, caramel, nougat, wafer...

"You look just like Jeff Bridges in that movie R.I.P.D."
I can live with that as recognition even if it was from a 17 year old with autism.

$_57.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back