To that one Team Member - II

TTOTM: I'm honestly not trying to knock you or anything because you're a really cool individual but complaining about low hours in January and asking the HRTL to do something about it will go nowhere...šŸ˜•šŸ˜ Trust me, I know it sucks, but that's why myTime is your friend for the next few months.
This is the time of year during which you either use up that vay-cay or hustle for hours like a hooker at a church convention.

TTOGSTM: I could understand not recognizing the plastic storage tubs you took in return aren't a style that's carried in the store, but I would have thought that when two tubs turned up a $113 for the return that *might* have given you a little bit of pause. Enough to at least check the description of the product that came up on the scan and notice that it said 3 drawer cart and not storage tubs and maybe, I dunno, stopped the return right there.

Really not sure if you were just really dense or if it was an inside job, but Christ on toast points someone got away with a helluva good deal.

TTOGSTM: I could understand not recognizing the plastic storage tubs you took in return aren't a style that's carried in the store, but I would have thought that when two tubs turned up a $113 for the return that *might* have given you a little bit of pause. Enough to at least check the description of the product that came up on the scan and notice that it said 3 drawer cart and not storage tubs and maybe, I dunno, stopped the return right there.

Really not sure if you were just really dense or if it was an inside job, but Christ on toast points someone got away with a helluva good deal.
Iā€™m sure the Guest was happy. Thatā€™s all that matters. Make it right for the Guest!

To that one Style TL: Look I think it's great that you want to promote to an ETL. Really. However, me asking you whether or not you know if my actual ETL will be in tomorrow is not an invitation "to assist me with any questions I might have," i.e., try to micromanage what I'm doing. You've never stepped foot in my area. What the fuck do you know? If I had a question for a TL, my own TL was in the building to ask. The other GMTL was also in the building and available for questions. Your "help" wasn't needed. I really just needed to talk to my ETL about things that she oversees directly in my area as it appears we need to change some of our plans.

To that one Style TL: Look I think it's great that you want to promote to an ETL. Really. However, me asking you whether or not you know if my actual ETL will be in tomorrow is not an invitation "to assist me with any questions I might have," i.e., try to micromanage what I'm doing. You've never stepped foot in my area. What the fuck do you know? If I had a question for a TL, my own TL was in the building to ask. The other GMTL was also in the building and available for questions. Your "help" wasn't needed. I really just needed to talk to my ETL about things that she oversees directly in my area as it appears we need to change some of our plans.
Haha, a couple TLs are getting big heads in my neck of the woods too. Insufferable.

But how will they show that they are leadership material if the don't lead?

Every single time someone asks on here what they need to do to get a promotion, they are told that they need to go lead people, even if they are just a TM.

So which is it folks? Should they be asking questions and trying to lead, or should they go mind their own business? Huh? HUH?

If store leadership wants to know if a TM who wants to promote can actually lead, they need to assign a project to that TM to lead. Not to do, but to lead. An ETL should assemble the group who are assigned to the project and introduce the TM under evaluation as the project leader. That way, the team know that the TM has the responsibility and authority to tell them what to do. The idea of ā€œgo lead somethingā€ on their own just sets the aspiring TM up for failure, since being told what to do by a peer who suddenly assumed authority on their own generally goes over like a lead balloon. Letting the team know that the TM has been assigned authority and not assumed it saves a lot of grief and gives the TM an even chance to succeed. Just my 2 cents.

Every single time someone asks on here what they need to do to get a promotion, they are told that they need to go lead people, even if they are just a TM.

So which is it folks? Should they be asking questions and trying to lead, or should they go mind their own business? Huh? HUH?

In my area, they best mind their own fucking business. It's my area. Even my TL knows not to interfere. My area is not where aspirants need to go to sow their leadership roots. I have it covered. Go to toys and flex yourself on that mess. Kitchen is pristine and it's mine.

In my area, they best mind their own fucking business. It's my area. Even my TL knows not to interfere. My area is not where aspirants need to go to sow their leadership roots. I have it covered. Go to toys and flex yourself on that mess. Kitchen is pristine and it's mine.
For my store its media or seasonal. Both are flaming shit shows.

I like Black Sheep's post a lot, but thought I'd add my thoughts on this. It's a soft art, leaders sort of emerge. What I'm looking for in my TMs are people who can, without coming off bossy or kissing ass, inspire and softly direct others while managing to keep their respect. For instance at front of store, the service desk person running the break sheet is in a distinct but minor position of authority. How well do they pull that off? Do they coordinate team efforts to cover those breaks, do they have a plan? When and why do they ask for the TL's input, and do they communicate when they have a better idea than me? That sort of stuff. It's not exactly a fair system, but it does allow natural leaders to show who they are.

sorry for going off topic

To that SD that burned over 1k hours two months into Q1. . .I hope to hell that call from corporate destroyed you. Thanks for screwing us over,pushing out the remaining tms that actuay did work, and for forcing people to stay hours past our schedule and refusing to let us out and take a second and third lunch on 4hr shifts. I hate you. I hope you burn. Sincerely raging ball of I will drop an anvil on you!

Last edited:
TTOETL: Stop making me feel like shit every time I unintentionally miss a goal time. There's no way in God's green earth I could've picked and packed that entire cart (including 8 boxes of diapers, and 5 buckets of cat litter) in 24 minutes. And I don't believe for a SECOND that you could've done it in 20. You always find ways to beat me down for the stupidest reason, whether it be an INF that's CLEARLY not in the store, or a goal time missed taking the appropriate steps that you SCREAM AT ME CONSTANTLY about (checking the endcaps, back room aisle, consult a TM working in the department, check reshop). How about instead of making me feel like I'm to blame for everything that goes wrong, you focus on YOU. Let ME worry about ME.

TTOETL: Stop making me feel like shit every time I unintentionally miss a goal time. There's no way in God's green earth I could've picked and packed that entire cart (including 8 boxes of diapers, and 5 buckets of cat litter) in 24 minutes. And I don't believe for a SECOND that you could've done it in 20. You always find ways to beat me down for the stupidest reason, whether it be an INF that's CLEARLY not in the store, or a goal time missed taking the appropriate steps that you SCREAM AT ME CONSTANTLY about (checking the endcaps, back room aisle, consult a TM working in the department, check reshop). How about instead of making me feel like I'm to blame for everything that goes wrong, you focus on YOU. Let ME worry about ME.
I know you're venting and that's probably helpful, but have you thought about talking to your HR ETL about the tone/volume of this other ETL and how it affects you negatively? I know some stores the ETLs are too cliquey and this can backfire, so hopefully you're not in that boat...

I know you're venting and that's probably helpful, but have you thought about talking to your HR ETL about the tone/volume of this other ETL and how it affects you negatively? I know some stores the ETLs are too cliquey and this can backfire, so hopefully you're not in that boat...
I've given it plenty of thought. Unfortunately, I do believe my store is one where the ETLs band together like a pack of wolves.

TTOTM who I carried the first month after opening.. teaching you everything you wernt trained in...catching you when you were about to mentally crash and always having your back....your joining the store by-t-ch pack that flaunts every policy from loafing to dis honesty...I climbed out from under that bus with a vengeance. Buhhh bye.

TTOTL...allowing the SD to express " dissatisfaction" with my progress on a project without explaining I d only been allocated 2 half days for that shit show not created by me....and then giving 2 full day shifts to another TM to complete it with recognition..YOU SUCK AS A PERSON

TTOHRTL....do you consider what will happen if corporate finds out you only speak to hispanic tm s and only speak to them in Spanish on the floor or in front of other TM s then ALSO slash hours and work centers of non Spanish speaking tm s to replace such with.....yeah....betcha didn't.

Ugh, I have this one GSTL (yes I know wrong title lol) who is too quick to call for backup. They did so tonight and I go up and there's 2 people on each line. I'm including people currently being rung out. One person on each line being rung out, one person waiting behind them. There were like 6 people waiting at SCO and we have 8 SCO registers. They've called at least 4 times in 3 hours and it's been like that every time.

I complain when they do that.

Or when they call for backup when there are 6 people from drive up huddled back in GS staring at their phones or gossiping next to the training register.

Thing is, the lanes are supposed to be 1+1, and we're supposed to call back up if the lines are longer than that. SETLs are also instructed to stay off the lanes. So they often can't just jump on and take care of those one or two extra guests. What happens is, you get a bunch of lanes with three total parties in them, and yes that's supposed to be a call for backup, by the book. But the time it takes for somebody to stop what they are doing and get to the front, well a lot of the time, the line is short enough by that point, and you don't need the backup. Also, if the third person in a couple of these lines jumps over to SCO, we can't control that. So hopefully, the SETL has time to call off the backup, but often, they are pulled into some little thing or another happening at the lanes.

I know it's annoying, but it happens through no fault of the SETL.

I complain when they do that.

Or when they call for backup when there are 6 people from drive up huddled back in GS staring at their phones or gossiping next to the training register.
This is obviously not acceptable and getting the drive up team to do work in between drive up rushes is the single most annoying part of my job. They are taking years off my life lol.

Back