Archived Transfer Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilikoi

Instocks TM
Hey everyone- I've been a long-time lurker, first post. Been with Spot since Q3 last year, but I've been on an LOA for the last ~3 months.... Please be gentle. ;)

1. I'm in the middle of getting a transfer to a store far, far away from my home store. I know my HR at the old store asked my TL if they'd recommend me to the new store. Does anyone else know how much longer until I should expect to hear back from the transfer store?

2. I'm hoping to go from TM to an open TL position, since there's no Instocks vacancies. It seems like that TL position has been vacant for quite a while, so I told the LOD the day I called that I was interested in the position. They didn't seem to know much (....meh). I'm assuming I'd need to interview with an ETL or something since I'm trying to move up in rank? Can I even expect to be allowed to interview up to TL in this transfer if my recommendations check out???

3. Like I said, I've been on LOA for the last few months... so I haven't been to my Target store (and I'm nowhere near my store geographically) for... 3 months? Have I been skipped for reviews?

If y'all have input on even part of this chaos, I'd appreciate it!

Internal promotions usually don't happen at a whim like this unless there is a huge huge need. Typically a TM will have at least 2-3 months of prep work so they will be prepared to step into a TL role. The first thing they're going to ask is why weren't you on the bench at your old store if you wanted to be a TL.

Interviews though will include your home store STL, another ETL-HR or STL, then your DTL.

I think the best thing you should do though is take whatever position you can get and express a hard interest in promoting. The position could be yours within a month

I actually did get to talk to a few TMs on the floor at the new store one day, and they did say that Backroom needs the TL pretty bad, especially since it's a high-volume store. But then again, that's the TM's opinion. And I understand that TL position's been open since when I talked to them.... mid-late January. (At least.)

Regarding being on the bench- There's been people on the bench for months at my old store (info source: word of mouth... unreliable, I know.), and I DID tell my TL that I was interested in pursuing TL in the near future when she asked. Just when I was going to start asking about the process of being benched, I found out I was going to move... so that got put on hold. :\

That might be difficult getting an interview from my home store STL... Considering I'm more than 2000 miles away... hahaha.... Technology I guess??

Worst case, TM sounds good. I know it's unlikely, but a transfer with my old hourly rate would be a dream, too! Hopefully they'll take me for the TL position sooner than later, though. I'm not a bad cookie!!
I wonder if anyone's been through a situation like this...

Apply on ehr to that store or the tl job. Don't wait for for your home hr. Talk to the new store hr too.

You're not going to transfer into a TL spot from a TM spot. Leaders have to step down sometimes for a transfer...

You're not going to transfer into a TL spot from a TM spot. Leaders have to step down sometimes for a transfer...
Yeah, I finally got a hold of the HR ETL, and she said I'll be benched as soon as the transfer's finalized. So I'm getting OK'd for a TM transfer... and we'd go from there... she said this store's good about training people and transferring freshly trained TLs into nearby stores.

Does anyone know about transfer of pay? It looks like hourly around here is $3 less than what I've been getting at my old store. Do they still keep it the same like I've heard? Or am I taking a pay cut? ....

You're not "benched". A benched tm is someone that passed and was signed off for a tl promotion by the Dtl, and is waiting for an opening.

You'll have to ask your new store what starting pay is. You may or may not get a cut. ASANTS.

You're not "benched". A benched tm is someone that passed and was signed off for a tl promotion by the Dtl, and is waiting for an opening.

You'll have to ask your new store what starting pay is. You may or may not get a cut. ASANTS.

Whoops, I meant start the process to get developed/eventually benched. My apologies.

That's scary..... thanks. All of the fingers crossed that they'll keep my pay rate... it's going to be rough if they drop it. I'll ask them when I swing by the new store tomorrow.

I love your optimism but promoting to tl is not as easy as you think. And your new store isn't going to just send you to interviews because you want promoted. You have to prove yourself first. It could take you 3 months or 2 years to prove yourself to your new Stl.

I love your optimism but promoting to tl is not as easy as you think. And your new store isn't going to just send you to interviews because you want promoted. You have to prove yourself first. It could take you 3 months or 2 years to prove yourself to your new Stl.
Yeah, I know... Very true. I've had a bunch of really crummy things happen to me recently so all I can currently do is stay positive and hope that working my butt off will work out. The HR ETL did tell me that they're going to approve my transfer, so at LEAST I know I have a TM job. At least I have that.

Personability, work ethic, and being positive will help, I know. Just gotta keep working hard and hope good juju comes my way.
(Also.... thank goodness I have a degree- at least I don't have to worry about balancing school with work anymore... That's a relief.)

If you have a degree, you have a better chance of getting promoted if you quit and apply for an ETL position. Aim high.

Do you know what that process looks like? I'm open to considering it...

Did you do an internship anywhere?

Got my bachelors back in May 2015. I'm in health sciences so I mean, I did a summer internship abroad in a hospital...
(In case none of this makes sense... why would I be at Target? It's cuz I need my license before I can get hired anywhere and I'm having trouble with that step and it's taking way longer than necessary. I'm not in a rush to get into the field, though, so I'm ok sticking around at Target.)

I know it's ultimately up to the people I work for, but is my internship going to be beneficial to become ETL at Spot? I'm really good at spinning things to my favor. Haha.

Last edited:
The internship shows leadership, people skills, Conflict resolution experience, etc. shows you can do more and are better qualified than a tl position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back