Archived Transferring from a modernized area to another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there forums !! I'm not too sure how active this thing is, but i'm really hoping that i get a response or two on what to do by hopefully tomorrow or monday. ( im posting this on friday august 24 )

I'm /slightly/ new to my target location – i actually believe im about five months into this job. i originally applied for softlines when i started, only wanting to even be able to work at target. that was the only area they told me they had open at the time. let me tell you, softlines gets boring and draining when it gets to being put in areas you don't know much about and/or have another job which is, you guessed it, just folding clothes too. i'm tired of being in mens and as a female getting guests who pose the question "why put a girl in the mens section ??"

anyways, here is my question. my leads ( all of them really ) know that i have a love for electronics and love to cover during their fifteens or thirties when no one in hardlines is available. in fact, during our latest training ( i'm not sure if all locations had the new guest service sales floor trainings ), my lead put these lightbulbs on my groups table and i was able to immediately able to talk about benefits vs. features. anyways. a girl in electronics just put in her two weeks, and keep in mind, i've been asked just to be trained in electronics in order to cover shifts, but do you guys think i would be able to score a transfer into electronics from being in softlines ? they have to train the new people for that area if they end up hiring someone else, and i'm already on the same payscale.

help asap please ????

I feel like it shouldn't be that hard seeing you're in the same paygrade as Electronics. Seeing how you cover 15s and 30s sometimes and you're pass the 90 days. It really shouldn't be hard. Talk to your Etl and Express your interest. It might just work out

I feel like it shouldn't be that hard seeing you're in the same paygrade as Electronics. Seeing how you cover 15s and 30s sometimes and you're pass the 90 days. It really shouldn't be hard. Talk to your Etl and Express your interest. It might just work out
Thank you so much for the reply !!!
I'm really hoping to move outta softlines soon. heck, i was even considering moving to hardlines even though their pay is lower.
i feel like i can do more for the team regarding electronics and share my broader knowledge there. fashion is always changing, but at least electronics dont change with the weather ( lol ).
i'll probably have to see my hr. if not i might just bring it up to whoever the lead is tomorrow.

Its as easy as asking at that point. Softlines is big work center so if they lose someone it’s not as big as losing an electronics TM. With workday your ETL can initiate the transfer themselves without talking to HR. I would ask the hardlines ETL if it’s different from your ETL.

Going as a TM from a modernization center to a TM in a non-modernization center wouldn't reduce your pay. Target only cuts pay if you're being demoted.

Definitely talk to your current ETL and the ETL in charge of electronics about your interests in electronics. Especially since someone just put in their notice, they'll be looking for someone. Do it before they hire someone new.

Thanks for more responses !! I'll try to see the etl if they are in tomorrow. I've known about the girl wanting to leave electronics even though she's a month into her work. I've been kinda waiting for an opening to pop up and i'm about ready to ask and see if i can transfer !!

If not, is asking HR the next step then ? I want to make it known I'd like to swap areas permanently. I've asked to be trained but there is apparently new rules from Corp that you can't be cross trained in modernized areas for whatever reason. And when I approached a team lead about it, she said softlines has to stay in softlines. no kidding, i almost started balling my eyes out at that.

wish me luck though !!

UPDATE for anyone wondering
Told my closing LOD truthfully that I would like to be transferred into electronics and her response was "Absolutely. It just depends on how much you know about electronics" – and to that, i told her the different areas I'm efficient in, which is TVS, games, game consoles, printers, computers, phones, and a wide knowledge of movies in depth from production value to just plain "this is what you should watch since you liked this" knowledge ( comes in handy being a film major ). She basically told me that they would definitely love another electronics tm since there is an open position and she will discuss it with another LOD and see whether or not to discuss it with HR. On the bright side, I'm one step closer to finally becoming an electronics tm :) ! Even personally had another electronics tm come up to me today, before i had even spoken to an LOD, to tell me to ask to be transferred over !
I'm off tomorrow and so is HR, but i believe that the LODs I had mentioned may be working tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well and it isn't a lost case !

I'll let you guys know when I finally get my dream area !!

If they talk to you about the position, don't forget to mention how you would try to up-sell guests on the products they are interested in, and how you would sell them on accessories and attachments for their devices. Make sure YOU try to bring it up first in your talk, don't wait for the Leader to do it. Remember, product knowledge is great, but Target's sole focus currently is to see TMs influence guests to buy as much as possible. Good luck, I hope you get the position and it's everything you hope it will be.

Update:
Just asked the LOD that the message was supposed to go through if i could switch. He then told me that they ended up hiring someone when he was gone ( he's been gone since thursday ). I was also enlightened that I would LOSE MY PAY. Currently I'm at 12.50 and that would bring me to where the new people are at : 11.25 which doesn't make any sense to me.

On the bright side, he said that he could always schedule me a few times, but my main area would be softlines.
Not sure if he told me just to shut me up.
Kinda bummed. Especially cause all of Electronics since the last time I updated you guys told me to ask to be transferred.

Sorry to hear that.

My recommendation is to keep pushing.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that.
Fight for the job and don't let them forget you deserve it.

I'm getting uber confused. The original LOD i asked came up to me when i was doing a hardlines shift on friday and told me she was switching me out of C and D to Seasonal and Mini-Seasonal to help out the electronics member there that night and then said, "i already talked to [ LOD name ]. show me how bad you want the electronics position."

Apparently the new person they hired was an old target mobile, and they've already got a job that only allows them to work every other week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back