Transgender and Bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must admit I found it hard to hold my tongue. As far as I know it is the first at my store.

We are getting calls just pranks. People calling out to jobs as people we don't have..

In some redeeming news, I had a pair of older ladies come in and buy stuff. At the register they told me the only reason they came to Target was because others wanted to boycott, so to show support they bought things.

Also had an older gentleman apologize for calling me sir, then correcting himself and say "Ma'am".

Why can't more customers be this awesome? Not that I got jerks, but these people went out of their way to be awesome.

I assured guests that all tms scrupulously use the appropriate bathroom. (Never mind what that means) and that if they feel uncomfortable they are welcome to fill out a survey. Working so far. But people here are definitely on the conservative side.

We had a few calls and a few people who would never shop here ever again. Okay. Now get out of the way, I have a long line of guests behind you to help since you're not shopping here anymore. There's no call for boycott here. It was really busy today.

I work at a store in a VERY religious/conservative area, and people are PISSED. We've been averaging about 3 calls an hour from people telling us they aren't going to shop with us again, or that we're horrible vile human beings for allowing this policy to stand in our store. The problem is, we've already been struggling to make sales, and this was one of the slowest saturdays I've seen in a good while. Some people are worried about the long term for their jobs. It's frustrating that people are so hateful to TMs about the whole thing. One guest told me that we deserve to have our store closed, because she would rather see over 100 of us unemployed, rather than working in a morally corrupt company lol.

I get CC'ed on the closing emails and they tally the amount of calls they got. It's seriously not a lot. Like a dozen per day so far. Feeling kind of lucky over here. :p

I've not had anybody confront me in store or in the lot about it, but our GSTLs relayed a few people cutting up their redcards at the service desk. I ask around outside work though and nobody knows about it. Or those who do are not concerned with it.

I actually only hear about bathgate via work email or coming here. It'll blow by. It's not as bad as the data breach was. At least from what I've seen.

Great, target has given them permission to do the thing that they've already have been doing for years.:rolleyes:

I live in Portland, OR, so this isn't controversial at all. Portland is one of the top destinations for transgender people looking for an accepting place to live, or for parents of a transgender child to raise their kid, and a ton of transgender people shop at my store every day.

I gotta say though, it's hard for me to imagine there is a giant category of people incensed by this issue who haven't already found a similar reason to boycott Target in the last few years. I'm thinking about the gender neutral shift in toys and "Pillowfort," and the obvious pride merch being sold last year along with pride stickers for TMs to wear on their nametags. Anyone who boycotts Target over this probably hasn't been paying much attention... not to mention that this has been the policy for a while.

The problem with this is most don't have matching gender markers. It's one of the most difficult processes transgender individuals have to deal with as there is no clear or uniform protocol for changing this. Some places only allow the marker to be changed if the individual has undergone SRS (Sexual reassignment surgery), others require you to have been living full-time (presenting as the gender you align with) for various amounts of time. In most cases it also requires an official diagnosis of Gender Dysphoria (This last one is actually a requirement many agree with. This is no light choice, this is something very serious and there needs to be something to bar those who are not truly transgendered as they have a higher chance of detransitioning.)

They also face the whim of the judge or government official who must approve their request.

So, the majority of the transgender population in North Carolina most likely would not have the gender correctly reflected on any document.

In North Carolina, apparently you need proof that your had sexual reassignment surgery to correct your birth certificate. And many, many, many transgender people do not undergo SRS, either because of the high cost or because it's not important to them. A lot of transgender men don't get SRS because frankly constructing a penis is very difficult surgically and a lot of trans men opt out of that.

I can imagine the villagers gathering outside the store with their signs, casting aspersions, calling on God to save us all from damnation.
Mofo's been using bathrooms and fitting rooms for decades without thinking about it once. They read about it on FaceFuckingBook and now all queers and trannies are baby rapers. Asshole villagers. >.<

The villagers here are apparently planning a boycott. I found out from guests who APPLAUD Target for their inclusive policy. I think we'll gain new guests from the people who realise that the protesters are asses.

I can imagine the villagers gathering outside the store with their signs, casting aspersions, calling on God to save us all from damnation.
Mofo's been using bathrooms and fitting rooms for decades without thinking about it once. They read about it on FaceFuckingBook and now all queers and trannies are baby rapers. Asshole villagers. >.<

The villagers here are apparently planning a boycott. I found out from guests who APPLAUD Target for their inclusive policy. I think we'll gain new guests from the people who realise that the protesters are asses.
yeah on a Sunday right after church !!

love Target Customer Service ..

13000331_10206166808714300_6079740616930367095_n.jpg

I can already see the bad people taking advantage of this pretending to be transgendered!
THIS ^

I think this is what is being lost in the discussion.

People are getting so hot and bothered over who is right and who is wrong, they're not really listening to the main concern about allowing transgenders to use whatever bathroom they want. It's not that people... well, most people... are afraid of transgender people abusing their children, it's that people are afraid of pedophiles and perverts pretending to be transgender just so they can use whatever bathrooms they want so they can have easier access to their intended victims. I know that's my main concern. It's going to be harder to police and a political nightmare if you accuse wrongly, something pedo and pervs will have an easy time to exploit.

As far as using a bathroom the same time a transgender person does? I could care less. It's just a person trying to get by just like I am and I have no problem with it as it does me no harm. However I am of the opinion that pedophiles and perverts can go piss in the woods with the rest of the animals.

^^ absolutely, I don't care what someone wishes they were born with, it's only a very small percentage of the total population we're pandering to.

The problem we're having with this decision is the fact that there are a lot more evil people who will exploit this than there are people that are bummed out that they don't get too experience how disgusting the women's restroom is

I can almost guarantee if you know of a male who is on the edge of whether or not he feels he should be using the restroom with women, make him clean it for a few weekends when it's really busy and he'll never step foot in one again

THIS ^

I think this is what is being lost in the discussion.

People are getting so hot and bothered over who is right and who is wrong, they're not really listening to the main concern about allowing transgenders to use whatever bathroom they want. It's not that people... well, most people... are afraid of transgender people abusing their children, it's that people are afraid of pedophiles and perverts pretending to be transgender just so they can use whatever bathrooms they want so they can have easier access to their intended victims. I know that's my main concern. It's going to be harder to police and a political nightmare if you accuse wrongly, something pedo and pervs will have an easy time to exploit.

As far as using a bathroom the same time a transgender person does? I could care less. It's just a person trying to get by just like I am and I have no problem with it as it does me no harm. However I am of the opinion that pedophiles and perverts can go piss in the woods with the rest of the animals.

This point has been addressed already though. Any pervert who wants to peep over into the stall next to them isn't going to be stopped by restricting transgender people from using the restroom of their gender identity. These perverts are also in such a massive minority that to discriminate against an entire group of people because of the actions of a few people acting under the guise of being transgender is ridiculous. It's the same logic used by people who want to ban Muslim immigration because of the actions of a small extremist sect of the larger group.

Peeping would still be a crime, and perverts who are found using the women's restroom (or men's) in order to peek will still be arrested if caught. I think people are far too afraid of this "loophole", because the extreme minority that would exploit this loophole likely wouldn't have been stopped even if there were a restriction on the use of bathrooms by transgender people.

^^ absolutely, I don't care what someone wishes they were born with, it's only a very small percentage of the total population we're pandering to.

The problem we're having with this decision is the fact that there are a lot more evil people who will exploit this than there are people that are bummed out that they don't get too experience how disgusting the women's restroom is

Except that this "small percentage of the total population" that we are referring to is almost 700,000 people. Refusing those 700,000 people the right to use the bathroom that correctly aligns with their gender identity because of your cynical view of humanity is ridiculously narrow-minded.

I can almost guarantee if you know of a male who is on the edge of whether or not he feels he should be using the restroom with women, make him clean it for a few weekends when it's really busy and he'll never step foot in one again

Quoted for Truth...

Women's bathrooms are disgusting

As a male there is nothing more disturbing than walking into a bathroom to find a used tampon floating in the bowl....

Yeeeeeeeeeegh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back