Transgender and Bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just leave this here for all the people in this thread who clearly have never taken a high school psychology class.

Sex = what you were born with, what's between your legs
Gender = What you identify yourself as

To further define each term, Sex is determined based upon one's primary sexual characteristics (penis, vagina, ovaries, testes). Gender is a socially constructed idea which is based upon set ideas and roles prescribed to each gender in a society. While sex is a bit more cut and dry, it's not binary as intersexuality is a common reality. Gender is not universal in all cultures. Some prime examples being the Hijra, the Fa'fafine, Kathoey, and the Balkan sworn virgins.

In countries such as New Zealand, the government officially recognizes both three sex markers (male, female, indeterminant) and three gender markers (Male, female, gender diverse). Austrailia recognizes the gender marker "X".

The "American" idea of gender is one which is not universal.

His answer is pretty much how most Americans feel about the restrooms non story.

I was kinda surprised nothing was said about it also

Odd. We were literally given a script at my store.

If a guest asks which bathroom to use: "Target welcomes you to use the bathroom that corresponds with your gender identity."

If a transgender guest is made to feel uncomfortable in their bathroom of choice: "We're sorry you were made to feel that way, and Target welcomes you to use the bathroom etc."

If a guest is made uncomfortable by the presence of a transgender individual: "We're sorry you were made to feel that way, and Target welcomes guest to use the bathroom etc."

If they wanted to complain further, we call the LOD and they give them the same speech with the added guest relations number if necessary.

If approached by media, call an LOD but don't say anything other than, "I'm not the right person to talk to, let me get you a manager." Especially don't say, "No comment."

All phone calls on the issue were immediately directed to LOD.

At no point are we supposed to engage in a conversation or give our personal opinion on the matter to a guest.

Which one are you afraid of, Melvin?
transgender-shannon-fb-share.jpg

A co worker today that is male used the female bathroom today. He was born male and always acted as such. Someone told on him and he got pulled into the team Lead office. He pretty much told them that he was going to identify as female for now on.

He didn't get in trouble lmao

A co worker today that is male used the female bathroom today. He was born male and always acted as such. Someone told on him and he got pulled into the team Lead office. He pretty much told them that he was going to identify as female for now on.

If that happens at my store I am out the door. But not because of the transgender issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up in a similar situation tho

When I got interviewed I didn't say a thing about my gender nor my name preference because I was honestly afraid of what they would say about it (I know it's illegal to discriminate for it but you know). In fact I didn't say anything about it for the first 7 or so months I was there. Finally I snapped and was essentially like "guys stop calling me a she I hate it" (feel free to call me out on this one all you'd like because I know I identify as genderfluid, but something about being called a girl just doesn't feel right like 80% of the time) so my GSTL starting to jokingly call me "sir" which I mean I took because it was a start even if I'd prefer they/them like I told them. The only ones who really know are a few of the front end team, and only one barista in starbucks has made an effort to call me by the name I want to be called. So if I ever try to use the men's room again and they don't know I just might end up getting pulled aside.

Anyways moral of the story is that guy might be in a similar situation where he wasn't out or he's actually being a douche and abusing the system but I don't know the dude at all

Some of the old people are work have been expressing their opinions on the matter. They'll start a conversation with a very specific tone, as if to say, "You hear about the bathroom stuff? Hehe...silly, amirite?" It's very uncomfortable. Lol.

Bet he did. Just wait and see what HR does.

After thinking about it for a while, I guess I really don't care if he wants to pee with us girls. I'd prefer that he use a stall instead of the lav but if he wants to wave his pee-pee around in front of me to judge, more power to him.

Last edited:
Friend of mine at the service desk has already had plenty of the 'token' outraged protesters come by.
She offers to call the LOD but they beat a hasty retreat.
They just want to put on a spectacle so they can tell their friends, much like the 'ban on Christmas' crap & every other social parade that fades to a ripple.

Bet he did. Just wait and see what HR does.

After thinking about it for a while, I guess I really don't care if he wants to pee with us girls. I'd prefer that he use a stall instead of the lav but if he wants to wave his pee-pee around in front of me to judge, more power to him.
Unless HR wants to open Target Corporation up to a huge lawsuit I doubt they do anything. Yes people will abuse this but it's one of those things Target will not call their bluff on. It's honestly not worth the aftermath.

Last year a hidden cam was found in the women's restroom at a Target near me. Good job Target corp. way to make it easier for the sick fuck.

Ya know, we could've supported gender equality without making this public statement.

Last year a hidden cam was found in the women's restroom at a Target near me. Good job Target corp. way to make it easier for the sick fuck.

Ya know, we could've supported gender equality without making this public statement.

...exactly. A hidden camera was found LAST YEAR ...crazy stuff has been happening all along- the chances of this actually changing anything is incredibly minimal. Will people be immature assholes and try to be funny about it at first? Probably. Sounds like that may have already happened at jb08045's store, but I can't fathom this really bringing any extra negative experiences in the long run.

Creeps have always been creeps and will always be creeps. They never asked for permission before, they never had any intention of asking permission in the future. Plain and simple: creeps are creeps are creeps.

Man, I am just itching for a guest to complain about it to me. It hasn't happened yet. I don't plan on telling them off, I just can't wait to tell one of those guests how much I don't think it's a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back