Archived Transitioning from sales floor to GSA. What should I expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix26

Guest Service Slave aka GSA
I started at Target back in February as a sales floor tm . Recently I applied and got selected to become a SA at my store and will be transitioning to that position in a couple of weeks. As such I am looking for any tips, Tricks, suggestions or advice anyone might have about the GSA position

Thanks.

Last edited:
RedCardsRedCardsRedCardsRedCardsRedCardsVibeRedCards

But seriously. I know some people who find the job incredibly stressful, and others who love it. Remember that the frontend is just as sick of redcards as you'll be, so please, try not to be the mean pushy manager. They understand the importance.

You'll likely get heat from above regarding metrics (assuming your store struggles with RedCards) so be ready for that.

Honestly, all I can say is truly understand the jobs of the front end. Its better to be a manager who understands what they're managing.

Last edited:
redcards redcards redcards.

Like everyone has said, you need thick skin. The way our store describes it, we're the powerhouses of the front end. Always on the floor and always driving for an amazing guest experience.

The GSA position I think is possibly the worst position in the store. I only did it for less than a year, but it gave me gray hairs in that time. Literally at the age of 27 it was giving me gray hair. It's ONE positive aspect is that it can be a stepping stone to a TL position if that interests you and you work for it. In my case the joke was on me and it led to GSTL, which also sucks but at better pay.

I really enjoy it! I hated it at my first store, but love it at my current store. I think it's a really unique position and gives you a lot of opportunity. Also, if you ever start applying elsewhere, you can make it look really good on an applicaton/resume if you polish it up right.

Edit: I spent a few months back on the sales floor instead of GSA, and i felt like i took a huge step down just because of the different tasks and different levels of respect you get from leaders around the store.

Last edited:
The worst part of being GSA is that fucking REDcard. And how the leadership will only treat you like a leader when it is beneficial for them do so. It can also be pretty frustrating if you're better at your job than the GSTL is at his/hers. Or if the TL carrot is being dangled in front of you interminably.

Truer words have never been spoken...although I'll never say I'm better at my job than either of my GSTL's, they're wonderful and I look up to them both. But the rest of it...oh so true.

My advice:

1.)You're going to have quite a load on your shoulders, and it will seem pretty overwhelming in the beginning. I definitely had times the first couple weeks where I hid in the bathroom and cried - and I have been in management before, and as stressful as that was it didn't seem to compare to this. Things will seem really unfair and it will seem like you have to answer to your higher-ups for things that are not in your control. But you'll start to realize, you do have more control than you think, and only experience will get you to that point. Let the experience guide you there and make sure you learn something new every day. Take something new from every bad experience. Sometimes you won't be able to take something new from it right away, but after some reflection, you should be able to gain something from it. Make that a point, as hard as it can be sometimes.

2.)METRICS. Pay attention to metrics, very close attention. Go over those metrics with the cashiers weekly, make sure they understand what they are looking at and why it's important. If their performance is subpar, challenge them on it. Ask them what they think the underlying issue may have been. I find that when you challenge them - not in a threatening way, but in a way that gets them to reflect on their issues and try to understand it themselves, it really improves their performance (usually, anyway - you will always have those few who just don't give a damn no matter what - but don't let up on them or treat them any different from the rest of the bunch. They should be held to the same degree of accountability). And always, always work with them on whatever needs to be worked on. You're on their side and you're there to help them be the best they can be.

3.)Start building relationships with your TL's/ETL's - no matter how much you may dislike them. You'll be dealing with them more directly now, and it's important to have good communication. As much as you may not like some of them, there will come a point where you're gonna need their help with something. And if you can get them on your side, awesome. If not, just grin and fake those hellos until the door hits their ass on the way out.

4.)Definitely expect your relationships to change with some people, and definitely expect it to be uncomfortable at first. Some people are never okay with watching someone who was their peer step up and become a leader. This one lady in particular, who was so sweet to me before, became really mean and nasty, and had to be coached a couple of times for blowing up on me in front of guests...she stopped after that, but she still tries to get me in trouble whenever she can and it's obvious she can't stand my face. She just gets this nasty look when I even come near her. Other people who I thought were my friends just pretty much quit talking to me...but I look at that as more of a blessing - I know who my true friends are now - there are a lot fewer than I thought, but I love those few to death. I also gained a few friends who I never thought I'd say a word to or have anything in common with. These are the people that keep me at Target, and I'm so grateful for all of them.

I'll end this now, sorry it was so long. Good luck, and we're here for you whenever!

Last edited:
2.)METRICS. Pay attention to metrics, very close attention. Go over those metrics with the cashiers weekly, make sure they understand what they are looking at and why it's important. If their performance is subpar, challenge them on it. Ask them what they think the underlying issue may have been. I find that when you challenge them - not in a threatening way, but in a way that gets them to reflect on their issues and try to understand it themselves, it really improves their performance (usually, anyway - you will always have those few who just don't give a damn no matter what - but don't let up on them or treat them any different from the rest of the bunch. They should be held to the same degree of accountability). And always, always work with them on whatever needs to be worked on. You're on their side and you're their to help them be the best they can be.
I wish this was the case in my store. I believe the new metrics for the prior week come out on Tuesday. Before my former GSTL went to the floor, he was ALWAYS on this with whoever worked on Tuesday. If I ask any of the current GSAs in my store (and there are a bunch) about my metrics, they wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

@Phoenix26, if there was one suggestion I'd make, just please, PLEASE be mature. One of the many qualities I've noticed in the GSAs at my store is that they're not ready to be in a leadership position maturity-wise. They still have a lot of growing to do. And it's very hard to take them seriously.

do you know ge at all? if not use your training more on that. you're salesfloor. they don't need to teach you that. i had to spend time learning salesplanners/bathroom checks etc.

gsa sucks because you are asked to do a lot with a 50 cent pay bump. you are treated as a leader but are just a team member. it really comes up when you want to accomplish work load and others have different priorites and just don't care what should be done first.

Truer words have never been spoken...although I'll never say I'm better at my job than either of my GSTL's, they're wonderful and I look up to them both. But the rest of it...oh so true.

My advice:

1.)You're going to have quite a load on your shoulders, and it will seem pretty overwhelming in the beginning. I definitely had times the first couple weeks where I hid in the bathroom and cried - and I have been in management before, and as stressful as that was it didn't seem to compare to this. Things will seem really unfair and it will seem like you have to answer to your higher-ups for things that are not in your control. But you'll start to realize, you do have more control than you think, and only experience will get you to that point. Let the experience guide you there and make sure you learn something new every day. Take something new from every bad experience. Sometimes you won't be able to take something new from it right away, but after some reflection, you should be able to gain something from it. Make that a point, as hard as it can be sometimes.

2.)METRICS. Pay attention to metrics, very close attention. Go over those metrics with the cashiers weekly, make sure they understand what they are looking at and why it's important. If their performance is subpar, challenge them on it. Ask them what they think the underlying issue may have been. I find that when you challenge them - not in a threatening way, but in a way that gets them to reflect on their issues and try to understand it themselves, it really improves their performance (usually, anyway - you will always have those few who just don't give a damn no matter what - but don't let up on them or treat them any different from the rest of the bunch. They should be held to the same degree of accountability). And always, always work with them on whatever needs to be worked on. You're on their side and you're there to help them be the best they can be.

3.)Start building relationships with your TL's/ETL's - no matter how much you may dislike them. You'll be dealing with them more directly now, and it's important to have good communication. As much as you may not like some of them, there will come a point where you're gonna need their help with something. And if you can get them on your side, awesome. If not, just grin and fake those hellos until the door hits their ass on the way out.

4.)Definitely expect your relationships to change with some people, and definitely expect it to be uncomfortable at first. Some people are never okay with watching someone who was their peer step up and become a leader. This one lady in particular, who was so sweet to me before, became really mean and nasty, and had to be coached a couple of times for blowing up on me in front of guests...she stopped after that, but she still tries to get me in trouble whenever she can and it's obvious she can't stand my face. She just gets this nasty look when I even come near her. Other people who I thought were my friends just pretty much quit talking to me...but I look at that as more of a blessing - I know who my true friends are now - there are a lot fewer than I thought, but I love those few to death. I also gained a few friends who I never thought I'd say a word to or have anything in common with. These are the people that keep me at Target, and I'm so grateful for all of them.

I'll end this now, sorry it was so long. Good luck, and we're here for you whenever!

I definitely agree with you on the relationship part. I came in as GSA but I've constantly felt like some regular cashiers or TMS who've been there longer either don't have my respect or distance themselves from me. This is a lose/lose situation because they won't support me like they could and they're preventing me to really be on their side.

As far as leaders go, if you get along, wonderful, if not then try and avoid them like the plaque. Believe me if they dislike you or are on your ass, about the only thing you can do is avoid them and just nod your head when they do speak to you. I have two SrTLs and an ETL who are the absolute worst when it comes to being on my case...and it doubly ducks because they're directly over my workcenter. There really is no out except to find a different job, which has become something I've started to consider.

My advice:

I have a lady like that at my store as well, she started spreading nasty rumors about me sleeping with the ETL to get the GSA position. lol. so many rumors about me at my store. A lot of my peers became bitches and try their best to ignore me. I tell the GSTLs and they coach them (thank god) So I found my way to survive. People will hate you. But you gotta still be kind.

but yeah red cards. I prefer to open because you can get like 4 red cards and the mid and closer have to worry about making goal. heehee

do you know ge at all? if not use your training more on that. you're salesfloor. they don't need to teach you that. i had to spend time learning salesplanners/bathroom checks etc.

gsa sucks because you are asked to do a lot with a 50 cent pay bump. you are treated as a leader but are just a team member. it really comes up when you want to accomplish work load and others have different priorites and just don't care what should be done first.

ASANTS!!!!! I got more than 50 cents thank the target gods!!

I have a lady like that at my store as well, she started spreading nasty rumors about me sleeping with the ETL to get the GSA position. lol. so many rumors about me at my store. A lot of my peers became bitches and try their best to ignore me. I tell the GSTLs and they coach them (thank god) So I found my way to survive. People will hate you. But you gotta still be kind.

but yeah red cards. I prefer to open because you can get like 4 red cards and the mid and closer have to worry about making goal. heehee
I got promoted within my workcenter and the TMs that are now no longer my peers treat me differently as if I shot their mothers and danced on their grave. One of them paints me out to be this tyrant when honestly the only thing I held them accountable for was extreme lates and I'm not talking about 6 minutes or less, I'm talking about 30 to 40 minutes every day. It's always a change for those who get promoted within their same Workcenter or store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back