Specialty Two DPCI’s per Waco

You guys don’t backstock by Plano?
Do you? How does it work when the floor sees big changes? You don't get payroll to adjust the backroom, only the salesfloor.

Going by plano doesn't really work because inventory flow changes seasonally and by demand. If you set up sections in the backroom based on inventory now, they aren't going to hold up when inventory levels adjust later. You're just going to have to change them again (which, again, you get no payroll for).

The number one priority in the back should be efficiency. Brand blocking is not efficient. It forces you to use space you normally wouldn't.. and for what? You can pull OFOs by aisle, so there's no need to organize the backroom for pulls because it does that automatically anyway. The reason the salesfloor can look so good is because you can set capacities for product. Everyone knows how terrible aisles look when you overflex. The backroom is meant for flexing. It's for overflow, for excess. There are no capacities, so you can't organize the back like you do the salesfloor. It does not work. You need freedom to be able to locate product in the back based on what works best at the time, not what worked best five months ago.

The excuse I'm given is it helps you see what's in the back. Well.. that's what Greenfield is for, isn't it? There are cards meant specifically for seeing what you have too much of in the back, where it is, how much can normally fit on the floor, etc..

Last edited:
Do you? How does it work when the floor sees big changes? You don't get payroll to adjust the backroom, only the salesfloor.

Going by plano doesn't really work because inventory flow changes seasonally and by demand. If you set up sections in the backroom based on inventory now, they aren't going to hold up when inventory levels adjust later. You're just going to have to change them again (which, again, you get no payroll for).

The number one priority in the back should be efficiency. Brand blocking is not efficient. It forces you to use space you normally wouldn't.. and for what? You can pull OFOs by aisle, so there's no need to organize the backroom for pulls because it does that automatically anyway. The reason the salesfloor can look so good is because you can set capacities for product. Everyone knows how terrible aisles look when you overflex. The backroom is meant for flexing. It's for overflow, for excess. There are no capacities, so you can't organize the back like you do the salesfloor. It does not work. You need freedom to be able to locate product in the back based on what works best at the time, not what worked best five months ago.
My Backroom and off-site are backstock by Plano ,don’t have the problem of space management to be honest . When we started by Plano we gave enough aisles to departments sustain the flow of freight . My freight is no different than 6 months, 2 months or a month ago I still get doubles and triples .

The bts went clearance in December as well as some of bts went carry forward the direction was to backstock the nop and it will get new pogs and the backpacks went clearance 2 weeks ago tho. However i didn’t see the communication that you are speaking off. I just remember the communication from nov where I had to set lawn and garden December 26th as well as valentines . I’m getting no valentines candy I had to go to a different store and get 8 pallets of it because I was sold out and now the only candy I’m getting it’s Easter .

Awww...we're a much smaller store that doesn't set lawn and garden until, well, now. We get the stupid essentials seasonal set after Christmas. Basically, seasonal becomes a fulfillment only shopping area for a month and a half. Guests don't go there. The situation with lawn and garden is we're being told, for example, we might get one of a particular patio set that would normally be the display model but they can't garuntee us anymore of those sets this year. We could set the display, but we would have nothing to actually sell anyone. Or, that we could get an initial stock of say 4 patio deck chairs, but that's all we're going to get for the season. It's a big why even bother with it thing for us at the moment. And, corporate is telling us not to bother with it for now. BTS never went clearance for us. That shit's still sitting unlocated above style's hanging backstock.

Wait what ? I’m already about to set Easter mini , and rear seasonal has been set since dec 26

We get about 6 weeks of essential products in our Seasonal area. Basically a huge waste of time and space. In previous years, it was bulk buys that would go clearance (think 2-packs of Windex.) Now, it's double-exposed Essentials and Market items...

Hello everybody! Our district manager or some higher up, I’m not really sure, stopped by and said we should now limit two DPCI’s per Waco. Is that just us or is it for all Target stores? What are your thoughts? Is it something that should be taken seriously?

I work in electronics and as you can see in this photo we are doing a great job... 😂
View attachment 12125
For context this is what the books portion of our back room looks like. We call it the library because its always packed full of old dusty books that haven’t seen the sales floor in years.
View attachment 12128
As soon as our district manager mentioned the whole two DPCI’s per Waco thing I just chuckled and asked him if he plans on clearing out our back room first and he just looked clueless as any other corporate minion would. I continued to explain our back room needs to be double the size to accomplish that and forget any hope of removing ladders. Probably not a big deal just thought the whole thing was hilarious 😂
They finished pulling a ton of mir’s 2 weeks ago which left me with only 10 discontinued dpci in the stockroom. If you have a ton your mir’s aren’t getting done.
I would suggest scanning the back and seeing if any of the books are nof. In the past we missed some mir and they came up nof after while. I just salvaged them at that point.

On today's truck I got 42 eaches of a rather large product that isn't even on an active POG yet, but when it does set in two weeks has a capacity of....2. Awesome, I'm so happy that's going to be eating up multiple shelves in the backroom for the next 3 months.

On today's truck I got 42 eaches of a rather large product that isn't even on an active POG yet, but when it does set in two weeks has a capacity of....2. Awesome, I'm so happy that's going to be eating up multiple shelves in the backroom for the next 3 months.
You mean the furn ones?

It's been part of the Backroom standards for years, should be posted somewhere in your backroom area, we've just not given a rat's ass as acompany about that stuff for a long time. If they wanna be successful with fullfillment it has to get fixed...

Hello everybody! Our district manager or some higher up, I’m not really sure, stopped by and said we should now limit two DPCI’s per Waco. Is that just us or is it for all Target stores? What are your thoughts? Is it something that should be taken seriously?

I work in electronics and as you can see in this photo we are doing a great job... 😂
View attachment 12125
For context this is what the books portion of our back room looks like. We call it the library because its always packed full of old dusty books that haven’t seen the sales floor in years.
View attachment 12128
As soon as our district manager mentioned the whole two DPCI’s per Waco thing I just chuckled and asked him if he plans on clearing out our back room first and he just looked clueless as any other corporate minion would. I continued to explain our back room needs to be double the size to accomplish that and forget any hope of removing ladders. Probably not a big deal just thought the whole thing was hilarious 😂
Are you actively pulling OFO? That’s how mine looked until I cleaned that up

It's been part of the Backroom standards for years, should be posted somewhere in your backroom area, we've just not given a rat's ass as acompany about that stuff for a long time. If they wanna be successful with fullfillment it has to get fixed...
I think a year after I started at Target, when they were first just dipping toes into modernization I was one of the first softlines ladies trained in backstocking. After botching it beautifully twice in a row a backroom TL showed me directly what I did wrong, and it was just that. I had taken a bunch of similar items and put them all together in a waco, thinking that having all the Hanes underwear together and all the FOTL undershirts together would be helpful. Whoops, it was 2 dpci's, 3 at most, and the items had to look physically different from each other so backroom folks could quickly and easily tell which item in the waco was right.

View attachment 12125
View attachment 12128
If you work in tech why are you dealing with books

If you work in tech why are you dealing with books
Entertainment is part of electronics... Electronics team members handle books, movies, cellphones and other electronics. The brilliant minds at corporate thought it would be a good idea to put movies and books behind a lock and key in the back room to make it harder for team members and flex fills slower.

What's the term for when receiving takes a bunch of old books and other media and ships them back?

If Target did that more, they wouldn't have this problem with books. Too much shit.

Entertainment is part of electronics... Electronics team members handle books, movies, cellphones and other electronics. The brilliant minds at corporate thought it would be a good idea to put movies and books behind a lock and key in the back room to make it harder for team members and flex fills slower.
Entertainment used to be part of electronics, but no more. It was handed over to GM at the same time baby hardlines was.

Entertainment used to be part of electronics, but no more. It was handed over to GM at the same time baby hardlines was.
Another case of ASANTS. Entertainment is still part of electronics at our store. Are most stores switching? Also is entertainment still in F? It just makes sense to have entertainment under electronics but if it’s off in some other isle maybe not. I’m jealous because a lot of our time and effort is spent In entertainment. Especially on tube in which usually takes Monday to Thursday or Friday.

Someone else will have to confirm but I believe it's a corporate mandatory rule that entertainment be taken away from electronics. Sporting goods as well.

Someone else will have to confirm but I believe it's a corporate mandatory rule that entertainment be taken away from electronics. Sporting goods as well.

You're right. Tech is under specialty sales. Entertainment is under GM. The two should never meet under the modernization guidelines.

It made sense back when we were using PDAs to pull product from the back, but both ePick and myDay show you a picture of what you need so there's no reason to scan everything anymore. Even if there's 10 things in a WACO, it shouldn't take you longer to grab what you need than if there were 2 or 3.

The only thing that would take longer is the backroom audit.

Corporate is making a big deal about streamlining backrooms because it will improve pick times for fulfillment. Unfortunately, we are still receiving way too much on trucks of product that just does not sell at all. Kind of hard to clean the backroom when I get 6 cases of d-code product for a DPCI that only fits 6 eaches on the floor. I have one item that I literally have more than 300 of and it isn't exactly small.
Interesting. Where do they get their data? As soon as we move onto the salesfloor is when the clock runs down the fastest. One ghost a week in the backroom versus one or two IN F s per pick during a full shift .... on a good day....is where our problem exists...and will continue despite our frantic backroom makeover since our leaders continue to not address each 24/7 GM disaster zone.

Yeah this is definitely ASANTS. We've finally gotten to the point where Style doesn't push truck or zone Baby Hardlines (unless the SD asks), but we still have to collect and sort their reshop. Then I roll it over to their area before I leave at night. Style also answers most calls for fast service and does ad setup and takedown.

Not according to modernization. Tech reports to style. Entertainment reports to GM.

Back