UDC Here

The purple ones are a little smaller, correct? Idk if you know, but does anyone know if the new purple repacks fit on a single tray in the sorter? I’ve never been ob trained but heard the green boxes were on 2 trays on the sorter. Anyone have any insight?
From what I have seen glimpsing up at the sorter, memory is telling they are still two tray. I will pay attention more next time a UDC is hitting.

From what I have seen glimpsing up at the sorter, memory is telling they are still two tray. I will pay attention more next time a UDC is hitting.
Well the box only physically occupies one tray. But it still drops 2 trays every time. Perhaps it extends off the tray just enough that makes the sorter decide go donit as insurance. But it does seem like with a bit of tweaking to the logic it could easily be a single tray.

Who or what determines the product a store receives. I understand additional product for transitions, revisions or upcoming sales but what about other products. If i have a product and shelf is full and the numbers (shelf capacity and backstock) are correct why do we receive more. Example: shelf holds 12 and shelf is full and lets say i have 3 cases outback why do i get more? especially when we are only selling only 3 or 4 of that unit a week.

Who or what determines the product a store receives. I understand additional product for transitions, revisions or upcoming sales but what about other products. If i have a product and shelf is full and the numbers (shelf capacity and backstock) are correct why do we receive more. Example: shelf holds 12 and shelf is full and lets say i have 3 cases outback why do i get more? especially when we are only selling only 3 or 4 of that unit a week.

So, I've had a couple things pop up recently that allow me to answer this question.

So, because UDCs hold freight that is more difficult to predict, we often use sales from each store to predict how much of each item will be shipped to each store. This info comes from headquarters and is shared with our Product Control (PC) lead on each shift.

Unfortunately, we have outlier data for each area we serve and adjust based on an algorithm that is frankly above my pay grade.

If you are referring to more recent issues related to COVID-19, I can say that our DC is over capacity right now. We are currently pushing out freight on a scale comparable to the holiday season. It has a mix to do with apparel sales down 40% from last year, and hoping to market to states where restrictions have eased.

I have orientation next week at a UDC. The offer letter isn't super specific, just says Operations TM. I'm second guessing myself about starting a job and not knowing what to expect. I worked at a DC for auto zone before and when you first started they had some flexibility on position/dept. for example if you preferred to use power equipment or not. Can anyone offer some insight?

I have orientation next week at a UDC. The offer letter isn't super specific, just says Operations TM. I'm second guessing myself about starting a job and not knowing what to expect. I worked at a DC for auto zone before and when you first started they had some flexibility on position/dept. for example if you preferred to use power equipment or not. Can anyone offer some insight?
If it's similar at all to a RDC, you will be put where they need you and you will have to wait 6 months before trying to transfer somehwere else.
Your first 90 days will be spent doing the grunt work and then you are trained on more fun equipment and roles.

If it's similar at all to a RDC, you will be put where they need you and you will have to wait 6 months before trying to transfer somehwere else.
Your first 90 days will be spent doing the grunt work and then you are trained on more fun equipment and roles.

Thanks for responding. Makes sense that you gotta put your time in first. I just hope everything goes well, I'm changing industries and have some anxiety since the job description is vague and I didn't have an interview to be able to ask questions.

So, here's a question. Is there any load quality checks before a truck is sent out? I threw UDC as a flex in last night and the boss wanted five of them thrown. I had to use stop work authority on three of the five I did. I understand that loads shift, but in these three trailers they were overloaded past the do not load past this point.

So, here's a question. Is there any load quality checks before a truck is sent out? I threw UDC as a flex in last night and the boss wanted five of them thrown. I had to use stop work authority on three of the five I did. I understand that loads shift, but in these three trailers they were overloaded past the do not load past this point.
I think I know the point you’re talking about, but it should say “loads over 46,000lbs do not load past this point”. It’s so that extremely heavy loads have all of the weight in between the rear semi tires and the trailer tires. If more weight was added beyond that point it would be harder to control on the road because most of the weight would be on the rear tires.

Last edited:
Back