Archived Uhhh... Overtime help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I was really happy when I checked my schedule and saw I worked 6 out of 7 days this week, especially in April when hours are scarce. I'm scheduled for signing Sunday Mornings, GSA, and Electronics shifts. I'm scheduled for EXACTLY 40 hours tho, yikes! How do they expect me to not go into overtime? If I stay a minute or two past my shift I'm going to go over? And I work to closing every single one of those days and we all now your bound to stay a few minutes after when we close? Should I bring this up to my LOD?

You'll just have to keep a close eye on it and clock out before that happens. No big deal - I wish I had your problem!

But yea, even one minute over can get you in trouble...

Each day when your shift is ending remind them that, if they keep you past your cutoff time, you'll need to trim off time elsewhere. If they continue to keep you later each day, you'll have to come in later on your last shift because they won't cut a closer.

Last edited:
Asants. I was scheduled 39.5 hours a few weeks ago & it was mostly closing shifts, so I was guaranteed to end up over by the end of the week. I just brought it up to an LOD early in the week && they said not to worry - I also made sure to check back in with another LOD on my last shift to remind them that I mentioned it at the stRt of the week (and, for some reason it was different now I'd just extend my lunch to close the gap). I've had a splash of OT at least two weeks here recently & I haven't gotten in trouble. But like I said as ants && I think it depends on who you are / what kind of worker you are. One week recently near Easter I ended up with almost 2 extra hours of work in a week because I was kept over a substantial bit two nights & one shift I was scheduled to leave an hour before close, but they ended up asking me to stay because they needed the help on the floor -- it was approved. However before the monthly payroll closed they were substantially over && ended up sending people home to make up the difference; I even offered to cut some of my hours (not because I wanted to, but I felt bad knowing without intentionally doing so I had helped create this problem) but they told me they didn't want me to. Yet just the other day they sent a tm in my dept home early from a shift because she was going to be over even though we desperately needed the coverage because of call offs.

My store freaks out - it's kinda silly...

If you're going to go over (even by just a minute) they'll know. At least at my store, the overtime report is hanging above the time clock. Anyone who is en route to hitting overtime that week is on the list, and the LOD or HR should make you aware of that, as well as tell you how to proceed (take a few extra minutes on your lunch is most likely, but they may ask you to come in a little later/leave a little earlier one day.) Be ready for that later in the week, not so much in the first half of the week.

My former store would have you extend lunch or come in later.
OT was strictly verboten.

When I first started, if I hit overtime...say a half hour or so, it was fine...nothing was ever said. But by the end, even thinking of getting too close would have the LOD chasing us out the door. You may need to extend a lunch by five minutes each day or whatnot, just to be sure. Otherwise check with an LOD to see what the store culture is.

My former store would have you extend lunch or come in later.
OT was strictly verboten.

I hate Hate HATE when they make me take an extended lunch to get rid of OT.

Look if I stay an extra 15 mins to finish somthing so it is done right then I think it is only fair that I get to leave 15mins early to balance it out. Being forced to sit in the hot,smelly,loud, breakroom for an extra 15mins is a punishment.

Being told to extend lunch is absolute bullshit, imho. I would be doing the exact same work- there's literally no difference between me taking a normal lunch and getting right back to work vs. extending my lunch so I can stay until my scheduled time out.

That always made me so angry when my TL would suggest that. Luckily my store hasn't cared about OT all that much recently, but that's changing and I'm scheduled at 40.0 this week and have already stayed 40min over...and it's only the 2nd day of a 6 day work week :-/

OT at Target (retail) is like the boogeyman. It scares a group of people to do irrational things, while everybody else rolls their eyes.

Just do your best to leave at your scheduled time, don't clock in early for shifts, and feel free to take a few extra minutes on your lunch if you want to and nobody is covering you on the floor. And if you are asked to stay late, just say you can but you're at 40 this week and they will probably say never mind.

I just take it day by day and try to plan things out so I work exactly 8 hours each day.

If you're scheduled exactly 40 hours they expect you to punch in on time, not 5 minutes before. And you better be waiting up at that punch clock to punch out exactly on time. They've done that 6 days shit to me, I intentionally stayed two hours late one day so I could miss the last day of the week. Still had my hours and a Saturday off too.

Last edited:
I always clock in 4 minutes late (late enough to cut some time, but not actually be counted as late) and take an extra 5 minutes on my lunch. If I do that for all 5 shifts per week, that's almost an hour of time that I cut. You might want to clear it with your leaders first, though. I'd want to know if my TM was taking an extra 5 minutes on their lunch, although it wouldn't be that bad if I didn't know; it'd just be courteous to keep people informed.

Stay late most days and cut your hours on the last day of the week you are scheduled. That wAy you get a longer weekend screw target.

Stay late most days and cut your hours on the last day of the week you are scheduled. That wAy you get a longer weekend screw target.
It's not Target you're screwing, it's your co-workers. Who does your work when you are not there? Target? I don't think so.
I hope I don't have to work with you.

It's not Target you're screwing, it's your co-workers. Who does your work when you are not there? Target? I don't think so.
I hope I don't have to work with you.
Sorry I didn't want to screw anyone I work hard and I'll leave it at that

Check the schedule and payroll board daily and check if your name appears on the report for TMs that are trendong overtime. Everyday you can cut the OT with a slightly longer lunch. Always check with the LOD before taking super long lunches though so that you don't get coached for taking too long!
On E-HR > mytime self service you can also check your time card and check how many hours you've worked to the minute so that you know exactly where to cut

I intentionally stayed two hours late one day so I could miss the last day of the week. Still had my hours and a Saturday off too.

Shit like that gets you a coaching at my store.

I used to be one of those TMs who needed to cut 30-90 minutes every Saturday, so I can definitely understand wanting to cut out early and get a head start on the weekend. But it hurts everyone if you are not working your full shift on one of the busiest days of the week.

Our store adopted a policy of everyone on the overtime report as of Friday or Saturday gets coached.

I have never once been reprimanded for mere minutes of overtime (10-15 min.). However, I will mention to my TL when I am approaching 40 hrs ASAP.

I intentionally stayed two hours late one day so I could miss the last day of the week. Still had my hours and a Saturday off too.
We had a couple of TMs that did that.
After they left us in the lurch once too often leadership came down hard on both, cutting their hrs, forbidding them to stay later than they were scheduled & were scheduled several weekends in a row.
Our store didn't let you play that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back