Archived Unable to Cross Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer

Cart Attendant/Cashier
I have tried and tried to get cross trained. Right now, I am a cart attendant and cashier and I have self taught myself sales floor and I have to go behind my bosses back to train guest service. I bust my ass everyday as a cart attendant and I'm constantly told I am not good enough. Is that just an excuse to saying "You're too young?" I've talked to a few co workers and they have said that it was like that til they turned 18. I am currently 16, 17 in a few months.

What should I do to prove that I can be a good addition to the other depts?

i would keep learning as much as you can and making sure you are 100% at your current role and go from there. Is there some reason your being told your not good enough? I would ask, "what is it that I am not doing right? or what am I missing?"
I wasn't in your same situation with age being a factor but I took it upon myself to learn as much as I could without actually training for it.

they said you weren't good enough? what kinda boss is that.

Like others have said, know your job well & master it. Your tl & others will notice the improvement, that will help you learn other areas. Just remember that you may have to wait till you are 18 on some work centers. But, try to learn the easy stuff, like reshop, etc, after you have completed your CA tasks first.

At my store we have minors and they work salesfloor. When they work salesfloor they leave at 9:45, and have the second closer finish by him/herself.
I think the reason they don't want you to cross-train is because they don't want you to stop being a CA. They might not have anyone else to fill in for your days.
Or they don't want to bother.

I think the only positions where you have to be 18 would be backroom, anything overnight, or anything that requires equipment; deli?

Other minors have been trained food ave, sales floor, guest service, electronics... And I'm stuck at cart attendant because im not good enough for other positions. I hate cart attendant and I've told them that.

I'm surprised you haven't been trained in food ave and guest service for covering breaks.
It's hard to learn much more than sales floor, cashier, gs, and food ave as a minor since back room requires you operate powered equipment (must be 18 and over) or flow (same kind of thing).
It's also tough if your store doesn't have more than enough TMs to cover the CA shifts, you'll likely be scheduled just as CA. (Or if you're under 90 days)

Overall I'd keep asking to cross train on sales floor/guest service and food ave. Maybe talk to HR as well.

I'm surprised you haven't been trained in food ave and guest service for covering breaks.
It's hard to learn much more than sales floor, cashier, gs, and food ave as a minor since back room requires you operate powered equipment (must be 18 and over) or flow (same kind of thing).
It's also tough if your store doesn't have more than enough TMs to cover the CA shifts, you'll likely be scheduled just as CA. (Or if you're under 90 days)

Overall I'd keep asking to cross train on sales floor/guest service and food ave. Maybe talk to HR as well.
I've been with target since November. And I have talked to HR

First thing: stop saying how much you HATE being CA.
Despite learning other areas on the fly/sly & doing well whenever you work, it sounds like you're not taking your work center seriously if you're constantly saying how much you "hate" it. Everyone has to work in their least-fav area but it makes you appreciate other areas all the more.
Just do your best & stifle the hater comments so they'll notice how outstanding you are instead.

First thing: stop saying how much you HATE being CA.
Despite learning other areas on the fly/sly & doing well whenever you work, it sounds like you're not taking your work center seriously if you're constantly saying how much you "hate" it. Everyone has to work in their least-fav area but it makes you appreciate other areas all the more.
Just do your best & stifle the hater comments so they'll notice how outstanding you are instead.

Good point. As much as I dislike many parts of being a sales floor team lead I suck it up and put on a smile. (I really like presentation much more).

Show that you can go above and beyond your cart attendant core roles and then you may be considered more seriously for cross training.

I'm a CA, they wanted to start cross training me about a month into me being there, Service Desk, Food Ave and then Starbucks. I've also slowly been learning Sales Floor. I think it's a matter of hardwork and trust. The other CAs also aren't cross-trained, One of the just started being trained in Electronics, but the other 2 haven't even been considered.

I also forgot to state that when I help out with pulls and getting them out, I'm praised and told I get them done fast and accurately. But, according to my boss I do a horrible job and I'm a useless Team Member. I am close to just saying **** it and put my notice in after my mother's wedding.

I agree with red, stop telling your leaders that you "hate" CA. Why would they cross-train you with that attitude?
They'll think you'll hate your new workcenter and want to switch again.
Instead say something like "I think I'm doing a great job as a CA, but I would like to learn new areas"

If your leader is saying that you're not good enough or useless, then you need to talk someone else.
No one should be calling you useless.

Cross training in my store is almost impossible....especially since the HR is making sure that anyone working in an area has a complete training plan filled out and if you need to be certified, it also must get done.

Another issue is "we don't have the hours to train you."
Or....talk to the TL ask ask them about a training plan.....but then the TL gets stopped with the "we don't have the hours to train a new TM."

I'm a cashier, too. I was learning GS on the sly. When I was comfortable with GS I picked up a shift on the swap sheet......well, somehow they managed to find the hours to train me (a 4 hour shift) and get my learning plan done before my GS shift (that I'd picked up) in a few days.

a possible way to learn more is just pick up a swap shift and when the LOD signs off for you to take it, don't worry about it if they ask if you are trained in (whatever the area is.....) If they ask tell them the truth....I'm familiar with that area and am interested in getting more EXPERIENCE so I can be more global.
It also helps to sign up for a shift and have the LOD you're most comfortable with sign off....this way you'll probably have less of a chance of being questioned about the shift.

Remember, only sign up for shifts that you know you can do without having specialized training....like Starbucks, food ave, photo....

One way to learn about food ave is to ask your GSTL or GSA if you can start giving breaks to the TM there. This way, you'll start to learn about food ave....on the sly, but completely out in the open where everyone can see you.

Once you get experienced in food ave they may let you really cross train there....if not, you'll at least get the chance to give breaks and maybe cover lunches.

Last edited:
I've been told my other tm's that my store doesn't hire minors, this was confirmed when I talked to our HRTL and STL.

I also forgot to state that when I help out with pulls and getting them out, I'm praised and told I get them done fast and accurately. But, according to my boss I do a horrible job and I'm a useless Team Member. I am close to just saying **** it and put my notice in after my mother's wedding.
Impressing other leads can be a good way to getting out of your center...but really, you should talk to your TL to see why he/she thinks you're so bad.

She's a *****, everyone at my store hates her. She does the scheduling and assigning in depts. I got in trouble with her when I picked up a guest service shift, but I was just fine that day and she was impressed to hear that. Maybe she'll quit being such a ***** to me about cross training when I can do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back