Unfair Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Karleigh K

Hi there Target TM,
I was terminated on Wednesday by my ETL. Going to give a brief description of how it went down.
On Monday I was called into the ETL office and was told that even though I'm an exceptional employee and that they didn't want to lose me, that if I wasn't able to have open availability across the board that unfortunately my position could no longer be permanent. It was left with me having to touch base with him on Wednesday with regards to my availability.
Since working at Target I have never NCNS or called out sick. When hired, my availability was open with the exception of Monday and Tuesday as I had the responsibility of bringing my children to and from school (single mom here). As time passed since becoming a TM at Target, I was in several departments (Planogram, Ship To Home, Flow, Price Ad, Cashier and even discussions of going to bakery) and to say the least every TL wanted me on their team. Although I'm a Jill of all trades, having so many TL to report to along with numerous conflicts with my schedule (because not every TL was aware of my availability when they did the schedule) and having to change shifts that were put on for Monday and Tuesday my ETL always corrected it, knowing my availability. After Mondays discussion, I left in tears and went back into work on Tuesday. When I went into TSE, HR asked me to do a punch correction due to our time clock not functioning properly the day before. While doing the correction, HR asked if I was ok (swollen eyes from the tears) I told her yes, however I received some unfortunate news from my ETL. HR explained that what was said was unfair and that I needed to speak to someone higher up. As she was having this discussion with me, the store manager had walked into TSE and overheard everything. Have in mind there was zero bad mouthing of anyone and was all dealt with professionally. Wednesday I came in for my 4AM-12PM shift resetting cosmetics. I not only completed the unfinished work that was left by another TM from the day before but I also began and completed a new reset on my own and once completed I jumped in to helping other TM complete their tasks. I stayed past my shift time and was shortly called into ETL office at around 1:15PM. I told my ETL that I would appreciate having Mondays and Tuesdays off due to responsibilities but if it is not feasible that I would make myself available for the store at anytime. He proceeded to tell me that at this point he had to sever all ties and that the store manager had contacted him directly after walking in on my conversation with HR and told him that that was completely unacceptable to be having a discussion about what had happened on Monday. I'm sorry but aren't we supposed to go through HR with these issues? Not to mention HR approached me.
I feel completely betrayed at this point and now without a job to provide for my children. As a single mom this is extremely stressful. I contacted the integrity line and made a report in which they also stated it was unfair. Does anyone here know what I should expect in the upcoming days?
Thanks in advance for any input!

Hi there Target TM,
I was terminated on Wednesday by my ETL. Going to give a brief description of how it went down.
On Monday I was called into the ETL office and was told that even though I'm an exceptional employee and that they didn't want to lose me, that if I wasn't able to have open availability across the board that unfortunately my position could no longer be permanent. It was left with me having to touch base with him on Wednesday with regards to my availability.
Since working at Target I have never NCNS or called out sick. When hired, my availability was open with the exception of Monday and Tuesday as I had the responsibility of bringing my children to and from school (single mom here). As time passed since becoming a TM at Target, I was in several departments (Planogram, Ship To Home, Flow, Price Ad, Cashier and even discussions of going to bakery) and to say the least every TL wanted me on their team. Although I'm a Jill of all trades, having so many TL to report to along with numerous conflicts with my schedule (because not every TL was aware of my availability when they did the schedule) and having to change shifts that were put on for Monday and Tuesday my ETL always corrected it, knowing my availability. After Mondays discussion, I left in tears and went back into work on Tuesday. When I went into TSE, HR asked me to do a punch correction due to our time clock not functioning properly the day before. While doing the correction, HR asked if I was ok (swollen eyes from the tears) I told her yes, however I received some unfortunate news from my ETL. HR explained that what was said was unfair and that I needed to speak to someone higher up. As she was having this discussion with me, the store manager had walked into TSE and overheard everything. Have in mind there was zero bad mouthing of anyone and was all dealt with professionally. Wednesday I came in for my 4AM-12PM shift resetting cosmetics. I not only completed the unfinished work that was left by another TM from the day before but I also began and completed a new reset on my own and once completed I jumped in to helping other TM complete their tasks. I stayed past my shift time and was shortly called into ETL office at around 1:15PM. I told my ETL that I would appreciate having Mondays and Tuesdays off due to responsibilities but if it is not feasible that I would make myself available for the store at anytime. He proceeded to tell me that at this point he had to sever all ties and that the store manager had contacted him directly after walking in on my conversation with HR and told him that that was completely unacceptable to be having a discussion about what had happened on Monday. I'm sorry but aren't we supposed to go through HR with these issues? Not to mention HR approached me.
I feel completely betrayed at this point and now without a job to provide for my children. As a single mom this is extremely stressful. I contacted the integrity line and made a report in which they also stated it was unfair. Does anyone here know what I should expect in the upcoming days?
Thanks in advance for any input!

So what exactly was the reason given for being fired? I’m no expert but I know there’s a pretty lengthly process involved in firing someone, (outside of theft and violence) and it doesn’t sound like it was followed. I could be wrong, but I also think that HR has to sign off on terms? Finally, what is TSE?

The reason given was not having open availability, which I changed to open across the board (even though my availability was never an issue before and never once was warned or spoken to) and because the store manager walked into HR discussing the unfairness of everything with me. The store manager called the ETL and told him that he needed to terminate me on Wednesday. This was all spoken from the ETL who terminated. TSE is the the main office

Not that this should make a huge difference, but were you talking to the ETL-HR or the clerical TM.

Even if it was the clerical TM, neither that nor your availability is grounds for immediate termination.

She was not the ETL HR. I am completely miffed and heart broken over all of this and don't know what else to do.

Sounds like bullshit, they fired you cuz everyone was unaware of your availability?

Theres gotta be more to this story, i thought that it was a given that the majority of retail employees don't have open availability. off the top of my head i can't think of a single tm who does have completely open availability.

Over sixteen years at a Target and I have never heard of anyone termed for not having open availability. They may try to performance you out or give you so few hours you have no choice to leave, but never directly for not having open availability. Even the conversation in the open at TSC should have been no more than a final. I, too, feel some details are missing. As always, I defer to @HRZone and @HRLady.

I've always had OA with the exception of at least 14 hours per shift.

But I can live with 12.

@Karleigh K, Only going on what you said in your story, but I'm guessing you were "punished" for having dialogue of a private matter out in the open. (Which to me sounds like bullshit). The reason of getting termed for "availability" is absurd. You said when you were having the talk with hr, the mgr "walked in" on you? The most I also think any Leader can say or do to you is say you were not being "fast, fun, and friendly". Even then that would just be a coaching, not a fire able offense. Again, pure speculation and certainly has to be more than this.

Sorry I'm late. There is nothing in your story that comes across as grounds for termination.

There are a lot of factors here.

A) is that all that happened? You seem honest but many people leave details out.

B) when they terminated you did they ask for your badge or discount card? I have heard of tms told not to come in anymore but when they don't show up for 3 shifts they get keyed as a job abandon. Even though they were led to believe they were already fired.

C)
the store manager had walked into TSE and overheard everything. Have in mind there was zero bad mouthing of anyone and was all dealt with professionally

I'm curious what the stl heard or thought he heard.

You can fire someone for detrimental behavior, however speaking for my district you have to talk to the hrbp and have some proof that the conduct is detrimental.

I would follow up with the hotline. There was someone who pmed me a while back about a termination being reversed. If need be let your store know you are looking into an employment lawyer.

If you're etl hr is any good they will be helpful in this situation. They also might cover the stl depending on their integrity.

Theres gotta be more to this story, i thought that it was a given that the majority of retail employees don't have open availability. off the top of my head i can't think of a single tm who does have completely open availability.
I have for the while time I've worked here. One day is listed as unavailable to spend time with hubby, but I can and will work it if there's projects or issues that need it.

We had somebody who got fired call corporate and they were back in no time. And supposably that TM was late several times among other things. So, if you are as squeaky clean as you say then I don't see why they would have had let you go. I mean we have some TM's that only work 4-11 hours a week so they have extreme limited availability and it didn't originally start out that way.

Hey guys. There is nothing more to the story. Everything that I shared is everything that there is to possibly share. The STL came in during my conversation with HR and overheard how unfair it was to be told that I had to have open availability in order to stay on permanently. No sooner did he walk out of the office, he was on the phone with my ETL who terminated me. The same ETL who spoke with me on Monday. Again, I never missed a shift and was a dedicated, loyal TM who showed her efforts and hard work in many areas of the store. None of my TL feel that this was ok and was told the only thing I can do is call the integrity hotline, which I did yesterday. Even my ETL who let me go and had me apart of his team felt horrible and knew that it wasn't right. At the end of the day this is a blessing even though I'm terrified of how I will provide for my children. The same day I got terminated, my children's neighboring schools from Stoneman Douglas were put on lockdown due to the shooting. If I didn't get fired I wouldn't have been able to sign my son out early, just 8 minutes shy of the shooting. So I count my blessings but I'm fearful of what the coming days will bring as I continue to search for employment. I posted in two threads because I'm knew to this and wasn't sure if I posted my concerns in the proper area. Thank you all for your advice and thoughts and I ask that you send some good vibes and prayers my way in finding a new job.

TMs arent forced to have open availability. Most have shit ones actually.
And considering you were liked by all the TLs and very versatile. I think the STL took offence to whatever you said to the HR person

I think the STL took offence to whatever you said to the HR person
Even if the STL is that insecure, talking to the clerical TM, or whoever it was, about the subject is zero ground for termination.

I have no idea how unemployment works, but it sounds like you should apply for and be getting that until you find a new job or get your old one back.

That sounds like a load of bullshit, but unless you can prove you were fired for reasons illegal under state or federal law (discrimination, retaliation, etc.) it's unlikely a lawyer would able to help.

I'm sorry and I hope you find something soon. Definitely file for unemployment.

I'm wondering this too. Like are you seasonal, and they're just letting you go before your 90 days? I'm just curious if that's the actual reason. Regardless, assuming everything here is accurate, it sounds like you could potentially get your job back.

From everything I've ever heard Target makes damn sure they are firing for cause so unemployment isn't so easy to get. To let you go with zero coachings or anything seems off. Hopefully the hotline call will pay off and you get your job back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back