Archived Unpleasant TM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i've been lurking on this forum for weeks now and I have finally decided to create an account to voice my concern and seek advice. I was recently hired a month ago to be a consumables TM. Training was very brief as expected from the similar situations I have read on here. My trainer was super nice and very helpful for questions but 2 days later he left the store so I felt lost for questions. Other TMs in consumables are new as well so they do not know much either except for the TL and 2 other older TMS. The TL is a SrTL and is always busy is different parts of the store, sometimes LOD so I rarely ever see her during my shift. I love working in consumables and always ask for extra shifts if I have the time. Recently I have been scheduled for shifts with one of the older TMs, and me being new of course I am going to encounter something new where I have a question. I would ask the older TM and everytime I do she is very snotty and gets fed up easily when giving me an answer or if I dont understand her explanation and acts like I should know everything by now. She also always seems to be watching me, asking me what im doing throughout the day when im clearly pushing out merchandise (box in hand, uboat right beside me) always seeming to get on my case. If I ever have strays that are in "her aisles" she asks me where I got them from and why im stocking them. She really just makes me uncomfortable when im working and I hesitate to ask her questions but eventually do because I want do make sure im doing everything correct. I have considered switching to a cashier to exclude my self from her because she really just puts me down when im working. I'm conflicted because my SrTL has been very accomodating to my schedule, changing it when asked and giving me extra shifts if I wanted. She says I am a good worker but the older TM thinks im not, so its conflicting views. Strongly considering cashier just to get away from this one TM. Any advice helps.

Hey guys, i've been lurking on this forum for weeks now and I have finally decided to create an account to voice my concern and seek advice. I was recently hired a month ago to be a consumables TM. Training was very brief as expected from the similar situations I have read on here. My trainer was super nice and very helpful for questions but 2 days later he left the store so I felt lost for questions. Other TMs in consumables are new as well so they do not know much either except for the TL and 2 other older TMS. The TL is a SrTL and is always busy is different parts of the store, sometimes LOD so I rarely ever see her during my shift. I love working in consumables and always ask for extra shifts if I have the time. Recently I have been scheduled for shifts with one of the older TMs, and me being new of course I am going to encounter something new where I have a question. I would ask the older TM and everytime I do she is very snotty and gets fed up easily when giving me an answer or if I dont understand her explanation and acts like I should know everything by now. She also always seems to be watching me, asking me what im doing throughout the day when im clearly pushing out merchandise (box in hand, uboat right beside me) always seeming to get on my case. If I ever have strays that are in "her aisles" she asks me where I got them from and why im stocking them. She really just makes me uncomfortable when im working and I hesitate to ask her questions but eventually do because I want do make sure im doing everything correct. I have considered switching to a cashier to exclude my self from her because she really just puts me down when im working. I'm conflicted because my SrTL has been very accomodating to my schedule, changing it when asked and giving me extra shifts if I wanted. She says I am a good worker but the older TM thinks im not, so its conflicting views. Strongly considering cashier just to get away from this one TM. Any advice helps.

Talk to your TL or HR whomever you feel comfortable with.

If you enjoy your area then you shouldn't consider switching for the heck of getting away ! Definitely speak to HR if you are comfortable with it. Just explain your concerns and hopefully something will change for the better.

Why would you call the hotline? Theres nothing unethical about being short with peers.

Usually at about 3 weeks, established TMs get used to seeing a new tm and get it in their head that you've been here "awhile." If someone was to ask, the established TM would probably say you have been there for "a few months." That is why she is short with you, in her head you have been around long enough to know your job.

Ride it out until you have been there 10 weeks and see if things change. Odds are you and her will get along fine by then.

Honestly, there are people like that all through out the store.

I make friends with the people I get along with, and avoid the others. While around rude/inconsiderate team members, I am polite, but keep my head down and do my job.

Honestly, I would not go to HR unless there was an issue with harassment. Being rude is not a good enough reason (for me to go to HR.)

So, keep your head down, do your job, and talk to friendlier people.

Good luck.

Why not just ask her who peed in her cheerios? Not in those words of course! Someone team members have no idea how they are coming across to others. Maybe she feels overwhelmed, doesn't make it right though. Just say "hey I want to really do a good job and complete things the right way. You seem to know whats going on. But I get the impression that you don't have time to do that. Is there someone else I should go to?" If you go over her head right away she may feel attacked. We are all adults, no need at this time to run to the big dogs yet. Try to solve this one on your own first

Why not just ask her who peed in her cheerios? Not in those words of course! Someone team members have no idea how they are coming across to others. Maybe she feels overwhelmed, doesn't make it right though. Just say "hey I want to really do a good job and complete things the right way. You seem to know whats going on. But I get the impression that you don't have time to do that. Is there someone else I should go to?" If you go over her head right away she may feel attacked. We are all adults, no need at this time to run to the big dogs yet. Try to solve this one on your own first
There's a huge power difference though. It's not like two long-time TMs butting heads. Being so new means being very unsure and TLs not knowing how good you are and your potential, and that means the long-time TM holds all the cards. There's no need to start a verbal fight when you've got the rowboat ass and the other one has the battleship ass and you're going to lose. Seniority goes a long way in people's minds, even when a workplace isn't formally set up for seniority preference.

How many years is the older tm
Because at least in my store
The first group of market tm was made up from the PA,flow captain and flow P-fresh and the ones that were from the old group tend to have a chip on there shoulders because they use to be in charge of the area and might not see eye to eye with the new way its run or just flat out gave up on the store

I tried this method but proceed with caution. A TM kept getting smart with me for quite some time and finally I went off on her and in front of the Flow TL because she was inserting herself into a conversation but I was tired of her smart remarks towards things I was doing. Needless to say it lead to a lot of awkwardness between us. She shut her mouth up but there was a lot of non verbal cues I got from her and never sat in the same room as me for the remainder of the time we worked together.

The change is her attitude also drastically changes when the team lead comes around, she always puts on a smile and acts like shes super happy. As soon as the TL leaves shes back to her old ways. I would be too scared to talk to HR or the ETL because they seem so buddy buddy, because she sucks up to them and has seniority.

I guess i should also mention that im 16 and the older TM is like 40.

Honestly, it sounds like a combination of factors (age and seniority difference, etc) that are causing her to be grumpy towards you - you also never know what’s really going on in her life either. (For example, when I was in driving school as a teenager, I had an extremely irritable driving instructor that made things very difficult for me and gave me awful anxiety about driving, I thought she was just a horrible person but it turns out one of her kids had recently died and she was grieving in her own angry way.) Anyway, this doesn’t justify her treatment towards you, and this behavior is unprofessional in the workplace, but I think you might be internalizing it too much. I’m a sensitive person, and I take these kind of things to heart, too. But, I would try to just ignore her or “kill her with kindness” despite how hard that is. Maybe she will eventually come around, and I hope she does.

NeptuneGod, since you've said you're 16, I'm going to share this. Party of growing up is learning how to deal with difficult and unpleasant people. There's going to be all types, what works with one person may not work with the next. And there are going to be people with whom, no matter what you do, you're just never going to have a good relationship. Escaping to a different work center or quitting a job entirely just because you aren't getting along with one person is not a mature response.

With that said, I do suggest that you talk with this older TM. Whatever you do, make sure to treat her with respect as your senior, both in age and in experience. It's possible that the TL has asked her to keep an eye on you and/or the zone while TL is dealing with other matters. I personally would apologize for pestering her when you have questions but that you don't know who else to ask. And let her know that you want to learn and to be helpful.

Okay that makes a difference. I can see how that would be uncomfortable for you. But you sound like a smart cookie. I personally don't care how old someone is as long as they care and want to do a good job. Stand your ground grasshopper. You have every right to ask questions and get the answers in a respectful manner. No matter where your path leads you, there will always be nasty people. This is a great opportunity to figure out how to deal with them.

Reactions: Dog

Get over this quickly, in retail you will encounter many ages of workers. Learn to work with them all. Another thing you can do is find out if there are any seasoned market team members that are working in other parts of the store and partner with them on anything like work flow you may need help with. Ive been spending time in many other parts of the store now but my first 5 years were market.

Get over this quickly, in retail you will encounter many ages of workers. Learn to work with them all. Another thing you can do is find out if there are any seasoned market team members that are working in other parts of the store and partner with them on anything like work flow you may need help with. Ive been spending time in many other parts of the store now but my first 5 years were market.
I dont think age is the issue, the other seasoned tm and a new tm are around the same age and act like normal human beings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back