Archived Using my 90 days against me???

Status
Not open for further replies.

themusicalfruit

No, I'm not open. I get paid to stand here.
So, I'm still within my 90s days, and I feel like my supervisor uses my 90 days as an excuse to not help me. Like, there have been a few times during my shifts when I literally am holding onto things so I don't pass out and standing closer to the trash can so if I need to barf I won't be too far away. Is leaving work early for being sick a red mark against me during my 90 days? I don't know. I can't tell if this particular TM likes me or not or is maybe just challenging my limits. damn.

Should have just threw up on the floor. That would have showed them.

And to assure the cart attendant doesn't get stuck with it, wait until they're doing a carry out, or collaborate a scheme with them so that they're doing something that occupies them for a long time. Your GSTL will have to clean up the puke. Then, when he or she is on the floor, scraping up X-sorby vomit with a dust pan, you can look down at them all sinister and say some innocent farewell to them, that's just a little but too nice for the shit they put you through.

What department are you in? When you say supervisor do you mean TL?

How often have you been sick?
If it has been more than once or twice in three months there are other issues you might want to have checked out.

As to the ETL/TLs being assholes, it is always ASANTS and how much you want to take on yourself.
Some bosses understand you get sick, some are passive aggressive about the whole thing, some are just dicks and sometimes we read whatever our own issues are into their responses.

Any repeated attendance issues can be used against you in your 90 days, but if this is a serious medical problem, then talk to HR if you haven't already. It seems like your supervisor isn't getting the message, which is unfortunate.

So, I'm still within my 90s days, and I feel like my supervisor uses my 90 days as an excuse to not help me. Like, there have been a few times during my shifts when I literally am holding onto things so I don't pass out and standing closer to the trash can so if I need to barf I won't be too far away. Is leaving work early for being sick a red mark against me during my 90 days? I don't know. I can't tell if this particular TM likes me or not or is maybe just challenging my limits. damn.
Leaving early will count against you no matter how long you have worked at Target. But it does look worse for a new team member because it could be a sign of things to come. If you're that sick that often, you might want to get checked out.

Why are always about to pass out? If it's a medical reason get a note.

Heat exhaustion from working long hours in the hot store.

What department are you in? When you say supervisor do you mean TL?
Cashier. And I'm still pretty new to Target lingo. I guess she is an ETL?

How often have you been sick?
If it has been more than once or twice in three months there are other issues you might want to have checked out.

I left early once my second week of working because I was going through a drug withdrawal and had intense vertigo and nausea. She was nice to me about that and told me to come back rested. I called out one day for the same thing I think that same week. I mean, I doubt they would want me working if I can barely see straight and are INTENSELY sensitive to sound. My HR-LOD didn't even ask what was wrong when I called out.

If working at Target is affecting your physical, emotional, and psychological health this much now, you should probably start looking for a different job at a different company. I say this because the pressure is going to get more intense the closer we get to the holidays. Target is not worth your health and sanity. Maybe try something out of retail, like an entry level job in an office filing or inputting information into a computer system. Because, believe me, you are now in the calm before the holiday storm.

It depends on the ETL. When I was still new I was feeling really sick one morning and I told the LOD. She wasn't allowed to let me leave but she did let me sit in the break room for a bit (turned out I was dehydrated and just needed to drink a shit ton of water).
If it's a serious medical concern you're having and the ETL refuses to take you seriously then by all means talk to HR about it.

Honestly, I'd be fine if it weren't for the heat and longer shifts. I'm thinking about asking for shorter shifts

Honestly, I'd be fine if it weren't for the heat and longer shifts. I'm thinking about asking for shorter shifts

You need to stay hydrated. Get a doctor's note saying you need to have water at your workstation (i.e. your lane). And whenever you're not working, make sure you drink plenty of water and/or electrolyte beverages such as Gatorade. You'll probably have to pee more often, but it's better than being sick.

What is considered a long shift for you? How many hours a week are you working? Try drinking a lot of water during your breaks to stay hydrated. Like everyone have said, things will get tougher during 4th quarter. If you can't handle it, than retail isn't for you.

What is considered a long shift for you? How many hours a week are you working? Try drinking a lot of water during your breaks to stay hydrated. Like everyone have said, things will get tougher during 4th quarter. If you can't handle it, than retail isn't for you.

TBH, 6 hours is long for me. I know, I'm weak.

Don't give up, Target is an ADA friendly company. If you have anxiety or other issues talK to your ETL hr. I know some people think Target is soft or coddles people but really if you have a desire to work, I feel like we should be able to help you.

TBH, 6 hours is long for me. I know, I'm weak.

I'd you're working inside the store, and 6 hours is considered long, you may want to look into getting a medical note for your condition, and looking for a new job.

It may seem warm in the store, but I'd wager it might be 75 on a warmer day, nothing close to heat exhaustion levels.

No offense, but the conditions aren't that harsh, and it may not be the job for you. It's better to realize that early on and find a job that fits then to suffer through for months.

If I can stand on my ass for forty hours a week and have medical issues like heart conditions and anemia I don't see why you can't.. Maybe target isn't for you.

Get a doctor's note saying you need to have water at your workstation

Does it bother anyone else that we need a doctor's note for permission to consume something that is medically necessary for us to exist? Every time it's brought up at my store the same excuse is used: "It's a health code violation."

Really? Is it really?

You'll let any schmuck wander in off the street, exuding fluids from every visible orifice on their body, walk up to Starbucks/Food Ave and order something. Said person can consume their Starbucks/Food Ave purchase while coughing and sneezing all over the sales floor while they touch everything they think they want to buy. That's fine.

I have a water bottle hidden in a cubby hole at my work station, which I can and do wash daily and THAT is a health code violation? Unless, of course, I have a doctor's note. Which does absolutely nothing for the cleanliness of the bottle, it simply permits me to have one.

Last edited:
When I was a waitress it was actually perfectly common for us to have water bottles or cups of water in the kitchen area. Like we handled food and that still wasn't considered a health code violation.

I agree with some other people Target may not be for you if you get tired and almost pass out that easily or perhaps it is an underlying condition you're unaware of. I had a seizure my first day at work, tried to come in the next day and got sent home before I even walked in the door lol If there's something else going on at least at my old stores they were more than willing to accommodate. If it's simply you just getting extremely fatigued from all the lifting and walking around...may be time to look for a less strenuous job.

Does it bother anyone else that we need a doctor's note for permission to consume something that is medically necessary for us to exist? Every time it's brought up at my store the same excuse is used: "It's a health code violation."

Really? Is it really?

You'll let any schmuck wander in off the street, exuding fluids from every visible orifice on their body, walk up to Starbucks/Food Ave and order something. Said person can consume their Starbucks/Food Ave purchase while coughing and sneezing all over the sales floor while they touch everything they think they want to buy. That's fine.

I have a water bottle hidden in a cubby hole at my work station, which I can and do wash daily and THAT is a health code violation? Unless, of course, I have a doctor's note. Which does absolutely nothing for the cleanliness of the bottle, it simply permits me to have one.
It is pretty stupid. That's why a fair number of cashiers at my store blatantly disregard it and keep water bottles in plain site. Personally, I just choose a lane that's next to the water fountains so I can walk there and back between sales.

Aren't backroom TM's allowed to have water though?
I guess it's because they don't interact with guests and guests would be deeply offended if they found out that we were fragile, easily dehydrated meat creatures just like they are

People on the flow team at my store drink simply tea in the gallon on the floor. Water would be a slap on the wrist.

Aren't backroom TM's allowed to have water though?
I guess it's because they don't interact with guests and guests would be deeply offended if they found out that we were fragile, easily dehydrated meat creatures just like they are
One of the cart attendants at my store uses an empty lane to store his 3+ gallons of drinks. I guess that's different though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back