Archived v43 POS Changes - What to expect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagetm

Collecting REDcards like Kings collect taxes.
Chip and Pin Update!

Mag Strip Reader on Keyboards Disabled

> All payment cards must be entered on the card reader
> If allowed, Driver's License can be swiped on the card reader

Yes! So that means if the card reader goes down your only alternative is to have the Guest manually enter their card on the card reader and also yes, the card readers have been going down frequently.

Guest Service
- Receipt Lookup:
> K5 Functions
> K2 Lookup Receipt
> Have guest swipe on the card reader.

This does bug out of the guest swipes or inserts their card too quickly and can break the machine. Try to anticipate if the guest needs to scan.

- Payment on Account:
> K5 Functions
> K5 Payment on the Account
> Have guest swipe REDcard. Then you need to ask what they would like to pay.

- Card Reload (For AMEX REDcard Only)
> K8 Extras
> K8 or K1 (Brainfart) Card Reload
> Have guest Swipe REDcard. Then you need to ask what they would like to pay.

- No Receipt Returns
> Scan the card like normal - no changes here

Front Lanes
- Manual entry for credit/debit cards will be done on the card reader by the guest, instead of on POS by the cashier.
> Not all cards will approve if manually entered, guest might need to use a different form of payment.
> K3 for credit or K6 for debit, K1 All of it, K1 key credit/debit card

Do this for any time the card reader goes down.

- New Accounts
> After scanning the REDcard Application the Guest will now select if they want either the Credit or Debit REDcard.

- In the scenarios listed below, you may see the POS message "Unable to complete this transaction at this time. Please try again later" more often. Apologize to the guest and let them know we can try again later.
> Receipt Lookup
> Payment on Account
> Visa/AmEx Reloadable gift card activation or reload
> New Accounts (Just switch registers)
> Large cash transactions (over 10kUSD)

Starbucks Plastic Gift Cards
- K8 Extras
- K8 Card Reload
> K1 to Issue the card and add money for the first time
> K3 to reload money onto the card
- Follow all screen prompts
- Guest will swipe the gift card in the card reader

Starbucks Mobile Gift Cards
- On Menu screen, scan mobile barcode
- Choose K1 Reload

=========================================================================
Here are some personal notes for you guys! Sorry it took longer to finish this than expected.

- Make sure the Guest pushes the Chip card all the way in (you'll hear/feel a small click when its in all the way). Believe it or not Guests are actually putting their cards in Chip-side out so watch out for that. Many of them don't know what the chip looks like too.

- The MSR (Mag-Strip Reader) will not work if the Guest has a chip card and will beep at them, this is a great time to to vibe with the Guest and walk them through the 3 Step Process now pictured at all the Checklanes and Guest Service desks. (You guys will get new stickers to replace your 5% REDcard stickers)

- Pay attention to the new GS functions stated above.

- They are deactivating the older versions of REDcards in chunks and those ones will not work anymore. Meaning that they have shipped them the new Chip card and have already deactivated the old one. If their old REDcard doesn't work tell them you will take 5% off manually and have them use their 3rd party card.

- Some TM Discount Cards are not working, give them 10%. Easy peezy.

- Post Voids and mid-voids are taking a little bit longer, just vibe with the Guest while waiting.

- Suspending Transactions are almost completely broken. If you suspend and then retrieve and it says "Suspend transaction doesn't exist" clear it and scan it again - should work... hopefully.

- IF you sign up a Guest with a Target REDcard and the Guest gets the temp card, they will only work in stores with v43 POS. Meaning if the other stores in your District or Area are still on v42 it will not work until their systems are updated.

- Some Prepaid AMEX Cards aren't working at all. No solution yet. Give the 5% and use a 3rd party card.

- On the Chip and Pin training video it mentions we will not be accepting 3rd Party Chip Cards during launch. That is a lie and outdated info. All chip cards will be accepted.

- Be patient and friendly, follow the prompts and call for assistance and help each other out when needed!

4 of your registers (3 Checklanes and 1 GS) will be left on v42 just in case v43 craps out. I recommend having your team using the other ones so they get used to the system and pretend those others don't exist for a while.

If you have any issued don't be afraid to call the CSC. To quickly get to a Team Member about v43 the steps are: Option 1 > Option 3 > Option 1 on the phone dial. Make sure and mention you are calling about v43 to the rep. Below are some FAQs you can verse with on your team and you should get a copy when v43 is at your stores.

Q: Why do some chip cards require a PIN while others require a signature?
A:
Some chip cards require a signature. That decision on whether to use signature or PIN is made by the issuing bank. If you have any questions as to why a PIN was chosen as a requirement please call the card issuer. Their number is located on the back of your card.

Q: Why are some chip cards more secure?
A:
The chip validates the card is authentic (not counterfeited)

Q: Why do I have to leave my chip card in the card reader?
A:
The chip and card reader communicate throughout the transaction. This exchange of information is part of what makes the transaction more secure.

Hopefully this post will make your launch a lot smoother than ours was. If you have any questions you can shoot me a message on here or refer to CSC. According to my home-boy who I have a direct line to at the CSC they are working on a patch by the time v43 launches out to more stores.

Here is a printable and edited version of this entire post so that you can seem like a wizard. I HIGHLY recommend sharing this with your TLs/ETLs. If you are not a front-end TM print it off and hand it to your GSTL even if you don't like them I'd like to spread this document to help anyone possible.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zE2u37pt8AKHneiG4gPw7zvHkXjYybjG8-xhD2YTlPc/edit?usp=sharing

Tell them your friends from R200 just wanted everyone to have a smooth rollout!

Last edited:
I wonder what the reasoning is for taking the cashier completely out of the equation when it comes to handling a guest's credit/debit card. Was there some frivolous lawsuit filed somewhere about a cashier swiping a guest's card? Will touching a guest's card give me rabies?

Honestly I don't understand it. Guests are pretty terrible at swiping their own cards. Now we're expecting them to manually key their own numbers in? And what about the security issue of having the guest swipe their own IDs? That'll make it a lot easier for minors to buy alcohol, if the cashier can't even touch the ID to ascertain its authenticity.

I think it has to do with giving the Guest the feeling of security. However there has been multiple times my cashiers have taken the card and shown the Guest how to do Chip and Pin.

It also forces you to enter the Expiration Date and the CVC. Good luck memorizing all those numbers while helping a guest input them. Still holding that I believe its to help guests feel like they have more control.

It also forces you to enter the Expiration Date and the CVC. Good luck memorizing all those numbers while helping a guest input them. Still holding that I believe its to help guests feel like they have more control.
I'm not referring to a TM stealing numbers, more along the lines of a teenager with mom's card numbers.

A young kid with numbers on a piece of paper. Fishy.

Or, you know, just pretend to be texting when in reality you have the numbers on your phone

Haha... cause that would work.

I added on the last part of the post as promised! Hopefully it will help you all out.

Thanks averagetm! I've been getting pretty nervous about this "upgrade." It's good to know what to expect.

Glad I could help out! Read up and be ready. Its not as scary as it sounds things are just a little bit slower.

Suspending Transactions are almost completely broken. If you suspend and then retrieve and it says "Suspend transaction doesn't exist" clear it and scan it again - should work... hopefully.

At my store, we've had issues with the POS not completely retrieving suspended orders, i.e. some items are missing and need to be re-scanned. We haven't even had the chip & pin update yet, but we've still had problems with suspended orders.

Will the GS related functions (receipt lookup, payments, etc) be added to the lane POS menus as well?

At my store, we've had issues with the POS not completely retrieving suspended orders, i.e. some items are missing and need to be re-scanned. We haven't even had the chip & pin update yet, but we've still had problems with suspended orders.

Yes. So always check the item amount and price :)

Will the GS related functions (receipt lookup, payments, etc) be added to the lane POS menus as well?

You have Card Reload and the basic Fix It Quick functions. My cashiers have never had time for that so its not a huge issue.

Yes. So always check the item amount and price :)

You have Card Reload and the basic Fix It Quick functions. My cashiers have never had time for that so its not a huge issue.
:/

We close the service desk about an hour before everything else, and rely on being able to do returns on the lanes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back