Archived VM TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to understand why the vml position is not being accepted by TLs or TMs. Every retailer has a merchandising type role either per store or for a district. SO in order for target to keep up in the market this is a completely necessary step. Us VMLs were hired to give a fresh outside perspective and knowledge to critique and improve the ways that Target is so set in... Such as plan o grams.

I hope all TLs try accepting the VMLs with an open mind because I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. And understand that because it's a really new position we are ALL learning and developing WITH the company about the role so there will be blurred lines at first.

It's hard to understand why the vml position is not being accepted by TLs or TMs. Every retailer has a merchandising type role either per store or for a district. SO in order for target to keep up in the market this is a completely necessary step. Us VMLs were hired to give a fresh outside perspective and knowledge to critique and improve the ways that Target is so set in... Such as plan o grams.

I hope all TLs try accepting the VMLs with an open mind because I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. And understand that because it's a really new position we are ALL learning and developing WITH the company about the role so there will be blurred lines at first.

Its not completely necessary though. Target is still giving the same bloody planograms that they have done for the last ten years and the same merchandising booklets for clothing over the last six. The only thing that has changed is the mannequins guide and even then that's so easy even the ETLs can do it.

I'm not un-accepting of the position. I'm still confused why anyone at a better fashion (or furniture) retailer wanted to come to the red Walmart when they plot out everything in a book. Either way, my only issue with the job is that my brand tm work friends don't like the new lady lol. We never like anyone new though. The bright side is that since it's a new position, we won't be comparing her to the old person.

Hopefully the vmls can get the denim organization together and get the male mannequins (men, boys and toddlers) some more swag and less dad jean. More importantly, hopefully we have enough hours to maintain it all.

Us VMLs were hired to give a fresh outside perspective and knowledge to critique and improve the ways that Target is so set in... Such as plan o grams.
Well planograms can actually look very nice and appealing when freshly set. As a VML you will basically just be tending to planograms when they break. Or maintaining those areas that almost constantly stay PTM (like trend runs).

I'm not un-accepting of the position. I'm still confused why anyone at a better fashion (or furniture) retailer wanted to come to the red Walmart when they plot out everything in a book. Either way, my only issue with the job is that my brand tm work friends don't like the new lady lol. We never like anyone new though. The bright side is that since it's a new position, we won't be comparing her to the old person.

Hopefully the vmls can get the denim organization together and get the male mannequins (men, boys and toddlers) some more swag and less dad jean. More importantly, hopefully we have enough hours to maintain it all.
Nope the new look will be plaid button downs with dad jeans for mens. =p

Also...anyone else suspicious of the ratio of vmls out of the new board members? Starting to feel big brother breathing down my neck...
New position at every store, vague details during interviews, role not yet clearly defined.....typical Spot.
That's why they're all coming here to get answers to questions corp can't even provide yet.
Any corp-sanctioned site won't have a fast & final definition of role until corp figures out how to make it enticing before exploiting the position.
Problem is, VMLs will be led to believe that they will have full sway on setting displays but will eventually run into a wall when corp reverts to its every-store-should-look-the-same format. They will then have other tasks dumped on them like other depts (set POGs anyone?) before the position is cut in a few years after dismal results because - as per the norm - spot doesn't fully invest when launching new programs.

This is a. Position of importance because the VML will be helping to maintain innovation and standards for our guests- the new CEO has made it clear that the future of the company is that " millenial" who is educated trendy and understands what she wants in apparel and home fashion- and she wants it in a bright- well set- nicely arranged environment- at a great price- there is a HUGE DIFFERENTION between the walmart and target customer- you go to walmart for a " need" and you are low income- you go to target because you " aspire" to aquire nice things on a budget

Nope the new look will be plaid button downs with dad jeans for mens. =p

Lol... The boy's mannequins have on dad jeans too!

Tanner, when I call tgt the red Walmart I'm sorta joking. I don't think our look and target market (not a pun) are the same. I do think "we" have a reputation as being a nice/friendly/trendy version of Walmart though, and that's the basis of that joke. I wasn't criticising anyone for taking the job. Just thought it was interesting. I did gather from your post that the trendiness and the potential for tgt in that realm of affordable fashion is what made outside folks interested. Same reasons I applied... Well that plus more money lol.

I'm an "educated" (#TempleMade!!) trendy, millennial who just redid her bedroom (it looks great, almost pinterest-worthy). I have trendy millennial friends. My friends all love target. I'd like target more if I didn't work there, because I wouldn't know about how they treat me.

This is a. Position of importance because the VML will be helping to maintain innovation and standards for our guests- the new CEO has made it clear that the future of the company is that " millenial" who is educated trendy and understands what she wants in apparel and home fashion- and she wants it in a bright- well set- nicely arranged environment- at a great price- there is a HUGE DIFFERENTION between the walmart and target customer- you go to walmart for a " need" and you are low income- you go to target because you " aspire" to aquire nice things on a budget
you are drinking too much of that TARGET koolaid there. You might want to slow down on it as the effects are not easily reversible. Target isn't going to catch up to Macy's or even Neiman Marcus.

Captain-the reason for the vml position will be to " fuse" standards and style into target- i personally- as i said am looking to mentor tm and tls- with my 20 year background- i am not looking to b a " macys snob" just foofong over the top displays- i will be working with the target team to bring that millenial " cheap chic" customer to us!

you are drinking too much of that TARGET koolaid there. You might want to slow down on it as the effects are not easily reversible. Target isn't going to catch up to Macy's or even Neiman Marcus.

Target has groceries... It's not trying to be a Macy's or neiman Marcus...

They are quite simply trying to keep their aesthetics current, on trend, and marketable to accommodate the new generation of shoppers.

Not really sure why everyone doesn't see this as great/ necessary thing.

They are quite simply trying to keep their aesthetics current, on trend, and marketable to accommodate the new generation of shoppers.

EVERYONE is on board for WHAT they're trying to do. What people disagree with is how they're going about it.

Because they are literally shitting on internals like we couldn't possibly have the skills needed to do this which is bullshit.

Because most "hot" focuses one quarter get pushed to the wayside the next quarter for the new next hot thing and without hours to support the effort it becomes the next idea that tanked. But can't be left behind until they say so.

Because training your boss only highlights that they ready don't know what we thought they would.

Shall I keep going?

Well- after it got out of canada- recession there- and they cut alot of their " executive" fat out- their stock rose better than expected- lilly pulitzer shops were a SMASH HIT. And the la25 home test shops also a HUGE hit- what do you thonk???

I encouraged my ex to apply for this position at my store, but he says he won't do it if he has any sort of supervisory over me. I'm hired for HL, will he? He has 7+ years of merchandising store displays (he's currently employed by a high-end retailer), but somehow, I feel like Target could give two effs about experience.

Well- after it got out of canada- recession there- and they cut alot of their " executive" fat out- their stock rose better than expected- lilly pulitzer shops were a SMASH HIT. And the la25 home test shops also a HUGE hit- what do you thonk???
Methonks your fingers are slipping.
They also did a stock buy-back, which makes stock go up.
Part of the corp cuts were tech support on the heels of a massive security breach.

I encouraged my ex to apply for this position at my store, but he says he won't do it if he has any sort of supervisory over me. I'm hired for HL, will he? He has 7+ years of merchandising store displays (he's currently employed by a high-end retailer), but somehow, I feel like Target could give two effs about experience.

He will have no supervision over you. They are just a TL. The only people they supervise are the brand tms.

Canada wasn't just a recession problem.
Executive fat had a name abd we miss him dearly. Your job depends on features he created in the mydevice (moment of silence for @OtherGuy )
Lily was a sellout, and a horrible executed sale. Wait till you experience guests demanding you produce limited edition merch that will NEVER replenish.
Not all stores have space for the home shop revamp. So that's only a good argument for some stores.

Key words being 'done right'.
Target had some ideas that were great & innovative but they cut corners on the processes & personnel which ended up a half-a$$ed disaster.
If Cornell (& the board) truly follow thru, this could breath a little fresh life into 'shabby chic' & 'fashionably frugal'.
I just haven't seen enough from Cornell to be convinced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back