Archived VM TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't talking about your multiple postings. I was talking about the fact that you're providing more and more reasons to dislike the external VMTLs. You all seem to think you're somehow better than us/have more style/fashion sense. I'd love for you to meet my VMTL. She's a frazzled mess, and absolutely not better than any of us.

Basically, you're saying you're better than others because of a piece of paper. Woo-hoo.
I don't think I'm better, everyone seems to think we are making more than we should, that's the only reason I mentioned anything.

Why shouldn't this be well compensated, I was an outside hire, I have a BFA from Parsons school of design, never worked in retail before, and I am busy all day elevating our store and the merchandise in it. Having a good eye for design and being able to discuss it properly with the clients is invaluable; I was hired for my taste and style and if anything I feel like I should be making more.

I agree somewhat...although, making "more" is subjective and with what the duties require so far, anything higher than a pg17 doesn't make payroll sense unless us VMLs were to lead larger teams and building responsibilities (we do not right now).

I have been reading this thread for a while, being an external hire. While I can understand the frustrations and confusion surrounding the position (I have witnessed this issue in my location), there is no reason for the hate responses on the forum. Almost every single apparel or home decor business has a position similar to the VML. It is a bit jarring that the specialty position didn't exist before considering Target's market group.

Coming into my location, the TLs were overworked, stretched-thin and having to juggle multiple DORs that cannot be completed in a way that would profit the business. The TLs I have worked with have expressed their relief and excitement that this position now exists. They have the foresight and business acumen to understand how this will elevate the location and affect profit margin. I felt a great sense of empathy for their predicaments, having been in their positions before. The greatest support that I can see so far is our ability to assist the plano and instock teams. Expecting them to be able to read more detailed reports, communicate with corporate and fine tune the store is overkill on their already high workload. We are also relieving the TLs from areas they should not have to worry about outside of a general interest.

Being a VML not only requires a sense of style knowledge it also requires knowing how to communicate, interpret metrics and educate teams across all divisions. This requires a mixture of experience, education and wisdom which isn't always compatible with a person who hasn't had broad exposure to merchandising. This is apparent with how some of the forum replies have been.

I haven't been told why this position doesn't receive keys, outside of some laughs about not having to deal with the alarm or being last one out. Who knows. Having a key to a building doesn't validate anyone's pay code or worth (though arguing that it does, tends to show career immaturity), it is just tied to what their direct responsibilities are. Personally, every position I have had as a VM in a senior/executive position has required me to hold keys, but I was also responsible for being the first one in the building at times due to project workloads. It also surprised me since most of the companies I have worked generally have the VM team arrive the earliest or utilizing overnight projects.

I would be interested in knowing more VML's experiences so far and how their teams have been reacting to their positions. Now that we know most of our Visual Merchandising Market Leaders are, it should (hopefully) become clearer how our roles will be utilized.

I don't think I'm better, everyone seems to think we are making more than we should, that's the only reason I mentioned anything.

I'm bringing a strong design skill set that nobody else in the store has so I should be compensated accordingly. Not too many people have good taste, especially at a big discount retail chain.

Explain above, then. "Not too many people have good taste." Your words. Also the same words I heard coming out of my VMTL's mouth AND another poster from here. Seems to be a common misconception.

You have the potential to do amazing things within the company, but first, please focus on building up your team and understanding that you are ONE OF US, not some higher being.

Wasn't talking about your multiple postings. I was talking about the fact that you're providing more and more reasons to dislike the external VMTLs. You all seem to think you're somehow better than us/have more style/fashion sense. I'd love for you to meet my VMTL. She's a frazzled mess, and absolutely not better than any of us.

Basically, you're saying you're better than others because of a piece of paper. Woo-hoo.

I have an BS Computer Graphics and a Minor in Design, and have taken MANY of the same classes as probably most VML's..

I plan on giving my VML a thorough critiquing similar to that one Painting class where u had to present a "Free self-inspired Painting" etc, you weren't told, before hand however, that absolutely under no circumstances could u say anything positive about that person's piece.

I have an BS Computer Graphics and a Minor in Design, and have taken MANY of the same classes as probably most VML's..

I plan on giving my VML a thorough critiquing similar to that one Painting class where u had to present a "Free self-inspired Painting" etc, you weren't told, before hand however, that absolutely under no circumstances could u say anything positive about that person's piece.

Critique away! That actually sounds fun! My dad has 3 art degrees, so he told me to take pictures of everything she does so he can break them down by style and artistic direction.

*Edited to fix the fact that I called my VMTL a he on accident...oops.

Last edited:

Many of these posts are older. I don't think anyone has a problem with the pay grade, mostly that they have been doing the same shit for a little above minimum wage and then weren't able to even apply for this position.

And get used to stuff you just set getting moved around. Both Flow and Softlines TM's will be working in apparel and often have to visual merchandise things.

I do the adjacency & mannequins at my store, but I'm only a lowly uneducated & unstylish brand TM, so don't listen to me.

Yes, I'm in my 3rd week and it is very fuzzy who my "Team" actually is. But I have to say that I have enjoyed the 3 weeks so far, being able to come in early and style the racks, working in tandem with the softlines and hardline leaders to communicate a nice vision. I think it has a lot of potential. I just definitely don't want to step on anyone's toes while we are figuring this role out. I'm especially reliant on the other Team Leaders for guidance at this point as I've never had a retail position before and getting used to how the flow works is taking time...

Many of these posts are older. I don't think anyone has a problem with the pay grade, mostly that they have been doing the same shit for a little above minimum wage and then weren't able to even apply for this position.

And get used to stuff you just set getting moved around. Both Flow and Softlines TM's will be working in apparel and often have to visual merchandise things.

I do the adjacency & mannequins at my store, but I'm only a lowly uneducated & unstylish brand TM, so don't listen to me.
Oh, why did you have to go sarcastic on my at the end?

Explain above, then. "Not too many people have good taste." Your words. Also the same words I heard coming out of my VMTL's mouth AND another poster from here. Seems to be a common misconception.

You have the potential to do amazing things within the company, but first, please focus on building up your team and understanding that you are ONE OF US, not some higher being.
I don't have a team, it's just me in the merchandising dept. at the moment. I'm relying on the other TL's to get into the groove for the moment.

I don't have a team, it's just me in the merchandising dept. at the moment. I'm relying on the other TL's to get into the groove for the moment.

As VMTL your team is the brand TMs and any new hires they get for you. You are responsible for assisting the brand team members, including those like me in cosmetics, with our tasks and the most shopped areas. For instance, if your cosmetics person is not there that day, then you should spend at least an hour or so doing a quick basic zone, even if it is just picking things up from the floor.

Yes, I'm in my 3rd week and it is very fuzzy who my "Team" actually is. But I have to say that I have enjoyed the 3 weeks so far, being able to come in early and style the racks, working in tandem with the softlines and hardline leaders to communicate a nice vision. I think it has a lot of potential. I just definitely don't want to step on anyone's toes while we are figuring this role out. I'm especially reliant on the other Team Leaders for guidance at this point as I've never had a retail position before and getting used to how the flow works is taking time...
Personally I would suggest that you request more time to work with the associates in the plano and instock teams before trying to jump into your direct responsibilities. Understanding how they organize the store and keep it running from the ground up is vital to planning your own ideas. It also will allow you to build up team relationships (we depend on the associates to get anything finished/maintained) and this can reduce double work. Working with other peer senior leaders is great, but it can also put you in a bubble with opportunities the store may have and what works well already.

Any VM position I have ever held was dependent on a good relationship with the support structure of the store. Without them, all the fluffing, flexing and brainstorming won't amount to much.

Wait a minute - the VML reports to you and you are both the same pay grade? How does that work? That doesn't seem right at all. I really don't understand the VML being a pg17... I feel like I am missing something.

I'm a VML, I was hired for my eye and style, I may report to my ETL but I'm bringing a strong design skill set that nobody else in the store has so I should be compensated accordingly. Not too many people have good taste, especially at a big discount retail chain.[/QUOTE]
I still don't think a Vml should be getting paid what I am getting paid when I am running the building on my own, having a key to the store, am responsible for 239, making sure everything is locked and armed, and following up with every team member in the building to ensure everything is getting done. Not to mention take care of my own teams in the process. I know this is an important position but i don't feel like it has all the stress that comes with a srtl position. Maybe once the position really gets underway I will see things differently but as of right now I don't see it.

Last edited:
I'm a lv store, we supposedly hired a vmhl and vnsl team member for the vml to work with. Not sure if ulv got those tms as well, but if you are higher than lv you should have a team.

Personally I would suggest that you request more time to work with the associates in the plano and instock teams before trying to jump into your direct responsibilities. Understanding how they organize the store and keep it running from the ground up is vital to planning your own ideas. It also will allow you to build up team relationships (we depend on the associates to get anything finished/maintained) and this can reduce double work. Working with other peer senior leaders is great, but it can also put you in a bubble with opportunities the store may have and what works well already.

Any VM position I have ever held was dependent on a good relationship with the support structure of the store. Without them, all the fluffing, flexing and brainstorming won't amount to much.
I'm also a bit freaked because the concensus is that this position will not be around in a year or so...

Oh, why did you have to go sarcastic on my at the end?
Because you're being ridiculous. Target literally sends you a book with how they want the racks. And every person who does the adjacency visually merchandises when they don't have the right fixtures or the product isn't in. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this position exists, I just don't think anyone cares about your resume except Target HQ.

I'm also a bit freaked because the concensus is that this position will not be around in a year or so...

I think that'll really depend on how the holiday season goes. If those of you in this position can prove yourselves and keep the holiday displays perfect and gorgeous as much as possible, it'll last longer. But if it's not being maintained, then there's no reason to keep on another person getting at least 40 hours a week.

Because you're being ridiculous. Target literally sends you a book with how they want the racks. And every person who does the adjacency visually merchandises when they don't have the right fixtures or the product isn't in. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this position exists, I just don't think anyone cares about your resume except Target HQ.

Preach it, sista.

....For instance, if your cosmetics person is not there that day, then you should spend at least an hour or so doing a quick basic zone, even if it is just picking things up from the floor.

Oh my goodness...absolutely. I still haven't met my Beauty Brand yet (has been out for 2 weeks), but I decided to spend a day in there since it has such a high profit margin. I spent 9 hours zoning that beast...and it still wasn't finished. Talk about bringing me down to workload reality! I am glad when things like this happen to me since it lets me understand what my Brand may have to deal with if not supported appropriately and with unrealistic expectations.

Well I've had to re-merchandise a ton of racks with no VA's and anytime I've set mannequins we are out of basically all the stocks so I've been styling the looks myself. I don't know, this what you want about the job or whatever I posted, all I know is I do have tons of work outside the scope of what those paper booklets tell me to put where. I should never have posted anything.

Oh my goodness...absolutely. I still haven't met my Beauty Brand yet (has been out for 2 weeks), but I decided to spend a day in there since it has such a high profit margin. I spent 9 hours zoning that beast...and it still wasn't finished. Talk about bringing me down to workload reality! I am glad when things like this happen to me since it lets me understand what my Brand may have to deal with if not supported appropriately and with unrealistic expectations.

Bless you. My VMTL told me that cosmetics isn't even that much work and that I should be able to do everything everyday. It's good to see someone who actually cares about their team and is willing to do the work. Cheers!

Bless you. My VMTL told me that cosmetics isn't even that much work and that I should be able to do everything everyday. It's good to see someone who actually cares about their team and is willing to do the work. Cheers!
Ick. I wish mine got hours more than once a week to be down there...it shows when she's not. So much work.

Well I've had to re-merchandise a ton of racks with no VA's and anytime I've set mannequins we are out of basically all the stocks so I've been styling the looks myself. I don't know, this what you want about the job or whatever I posted, all I know is I do have tons of work outside the scope of what those paper booklets tell me to put where. I should never have posted anything.

I think everyone's problem with your posts is your implication that your degree (even though you have no retail experience) means that the Brand TMs and TLs who were doing your job before you with less hours, more workload, and half the pay are somehow beneath you. I think we all generally agree with the existence (and I suppose the paygrade) of this position. We just don't agree with the attitude that internals are somehow less capable of pulling it off.

It's possible that they are testing different versions of this role...

Visual Merchandising Lead, N17
Visual Merchandising Team Lead, N15

?

I really couldn't tell you. Just in my store they are a paygrade 17 with no LOD responsibilities and all the roles and responsibilities of any other TL.
What does N17 and N15 mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back