Archived VM TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say that, but college degrees are worth more pay. has nothing to do with human decency/inherent personal value. It's just like someone who has a masters degree would make more than me..,
Your degree does not earn you more money. It might qualify you for a better paying job, but by itself it does not mean you make more if you do the same job as another person.
Well people at my store are bitching about the fact that they wanted the job and I hear it behind my back.
Well here we can bitch to your anonymous face, so it's almost fair. And we will bitch, because just working for target disqualified 99 percent of us. Despite degree, background, etc.

The only friends of mine who have work in the field of their degree straight out of College, are Engineers and Lawyers. College IMO is not as essential as I think it is made out to be, Colleges want money, Schools want kids to go to College so said School earns more "Clout" (Same can be said for some parents).

Don't get me wrong, College is important, and depending on your field, is damn near Vital, but I can tell you I am far and away not the only person in this forum lacking that ever present "Two year experience in the field" requirement for "STARTING/JUNIOR" Positions.
I had a job right out of college worked for 7 years in Graphics in NYC made some BIG life mistakes and now am starting all over.

Many of these posts are older. I don't think anyone has a problem with the pay grade, mostly that they have been doing the same shit for a little above minimum wage and then weren't able to even apply for this position.

And get used to stuff you just set getting moved around. Both Flow and Softlines TM's will be working in apparel and often have to visual merchandise things.

I do the adjacency & mannequins at my store, but I'm only a lowly uneducated & unstylish brand TM, so don't listen to me.

I'm a Lowly PA and visual merchandise my meat and produce...

Sometimes multiple times per day..

I want to see a VML "Visually Merchandise" PFresh with no help from Market, and have Steritech come in.... (Not my store though, pls vml).

Last edited:
I'm a Lowly PA and visual merchandise my meat a produce...

I want to see a VML "Visually Merchandise" PFresh with no help from Market, and have Steritech come in.... (Not my store though, pls vml).
I love it, "merchandising my meat", sounds cute.

TL interviews typically start with ETL, then STL, and then DTL. That was how they handled things around here anyway -- and the Nicollet store is in our district so it should be something along those lines for @LazarusLong

I've heard in person from several TL's though that they didn't have to interview with the DTL, or it was a phone interview.
cayute.

I'm a Lowly PA and visual merchandise my meat a produce...

I so planned to use this exact thought on my interview for why I wanted vml...lol.

Can anyone who is currently a VM TL give me a run down of their day to day chores?

I am just a PA, but have been recognized in the past by our GTL for pretty much "what I imagine" a VM TL does.. I also have a Bacherlor's degree in the Arts, while not "Visual Merchandising" I would think Graphic Design/Computer Graphics would be pretty damn close, I believe both want to end up at the same goal..

I guess my real question is "How much personal creativity are you allowed to invest in your projects, or is it more, "Corporate wants it like this, make it happen!" type of deal.

Also what is your day to day routine like?
I go through the store in the mornings and pick out an area that is looking drab or bald and then style it, do that everyday of the week and then meet with manager at the end of the week to go over changes propose new ideas for the next week and take come up with in store style initiatives. Its pretty fun.

Oh my goodness...absolutely. I still haven't met my Beauty Brand yet (has been out for 2 weeks), but I decided to spend a day in there since it has such a high profit margin. I spent 9 hours zoning that beast...and it still wasn't finished. Talk about bringing me down to workload reality! I am glad when things like this happen to me since it lets me understand what my Brand may have to deal with if not supported appropriately and with unrealistic expectations.

Now if only my Sales Floor (Consumables) Team Lead who has never worked in Market had this same sentiment.

I foresee Market TL making a comeback after so many stores fail at PFab, though. Having a random TL over here makes me feel like I am trying to persuade a Statue of a Corn cob.

Last edited:
I get soooooo tired of hearing about the almighty college degree. In the past it did mean something, Not anymore. So many colleges are nothing more than a 4 year party. The "knowledge" "aka wisdom" can be as diverse as figuring out how not to aspirate your own vomit or how to revive a friend who is passed out in the hallway with no clothes on. Remember 1/2 of all graduates are in the bottom of their class. And don't get me started on some of the classes that make you so smart.
What the majority of us are pissed off at is how Target completely ignored those of us IN STORE that do have a degree AND experience. Our new VML worked at Macys in the woman wear department. Thats it. No degree. No merchandising experience except for dressing the mannequins if someone wanted the outfit that one was wearing. Our Brand team member has a degree, experience in retail and in actual merchandising. Not even given a chance to interview.
Anytime anyone throws around a degree like the holy grail I cringe. I have met some wise people who do not have an 8th grade education. They have common sense, a great thirst for knowledge and integrity.
You pick out "an area"? I would imagine that would be pretty fun. No back ups to the lanes? No guest service? "An area"? One person zones all of hardline and you style "an area" You get to meet with your ETL?

Now, design a set inspired by your own quote using Large Pillows, Plaid, and Plaid Pillows, Medium Plaid Pillows, and Plaid Medium Small Pillows, and Halloween Candy.

I was down until you mentioned Halloween Candy. That is when I walk out. :)

Now if only my Sales Floor (Consumables) Team Lead who has never worked in Market had this same sentiment.

Yes. I don't think it is asking a lot for a leader to spend time (real time, not supervisory) performing various roles in the store, especially the roles that will be dependent on their planning skills.

Every company I have ever worked for, I made sure to stress that I would not work there unless I had at least one full week of "true" associate experience. In my experience, management training can start off in the wrong way when they are locked in the supervisor bubble. Once you are locked in that bubble, it is very hard to get out and it can be detrimental to the business as well as team cohesion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go through the store in the mornings and pick out an area that is looking drab or bald and then style it, do that everyday of the week and then meet with manager at the end of the week to go over changes propose new ideas for the next week and take come up with in store style initiatives. Its pretty fun.

God damn i should have applied for this.... I did this in PFresh because I made all sorts of free time for myself (One day...) and wanted to spruce the place up.... Ended up with Jewelry Fixtures, Electronics Fixtures, (the Picture fixtures along the back wall in D didn't work for Frozen Pizza's god damnit.... would have been so perfect...) ... Either way Group walked it and they were stunned.... Group came again a year later and the first thing they jokingly asked me was "so where are the jewelry fixtures?" I laughed and pointed them out on the other side of PFresh since we reset. (Stunned that they actually remembered that after so many stores visited).

Personally I would suggest that you request more time to work with the associates team members in the plano and instock teams before trying to jump into your direct responsibilities. Understanding how they organize the store and keep it running from the ground up is vital to planning your own ideas. It also will allow you to build up team relationships (we depend on the associates team members to get anything finished/maintained) and this can reduce double work. Working with other peer team leaders is great, but it can also put you in a bubble with opportunities the store may have and what works well already.

Any VM position I have ever held was dependent on a good relationship with the support structure of the store. Without them, all the fluffing, flexing and brainstorming won't amount to much.
Learn your Target culture, too.
Call one of your team members an 'associate' & they'll ask how long you worked for Walmart.

I get soooooo tired of hearing about the almighty college degree. In the past it did mean something, Not anymore. So many colleges are nothing more than a 4 year party. The "knowledge" "aka wisdom" can be as diverse as figuring out how not to aspirate your own vomit or how to revive a friend who is passed out in the hallway with no clothes on. Remember 1/2 of all graduates are in the bottom of their class. And don't get me started on some of the classes that make you so smart.
What the majority of us are pissed off at is how Target completely ignored those of us IN STORE that do have a degree AND experience. Our new VML worked at Macys in the woman wear department. Thats it. No degree. No merchandising experience except for dressing the mannequins if someone wanted the outfit that one was wearing. Our Brand team member has a degree, experience in retail and in actual merchandising. Not even given a chance to interview.
Anytime anyone throws around a degree like the holy grail I cringe. I have met some wise people who do not have an 8th grade education. They have common sense, a great thirst for knowledge and integrity.
You pick out "an area"? I would imagine that would be pretty fun. No back ups to the lanes? No guest service? "An area"? One person zones all of hardline and you style "an area" You get to meet with your ETL?

I have trained more than a few ETL-Trainee's at the PFresh order.......

"Wait, why would you always order more strawberries than the Forecast?"

Which makes me stare at them as my brain is fried by their ignorance.. so cute.

Learn your Target culture, too.
Call one of your team members an 'associate' & they'll ask how long you worked for Walmart.

Yes, company terminology is a learning progress as it is with any change. Thanks for the reminder.
However, terminology means little if there isn't any actual truth behind the intent. I would hope a team member would not be so quick to snap with an intent to insult and instead remind them of the lingo. The same would apply to anyone trying to learn the culture or language when moving to a foreign location. Again, it is just a sign of career maturity.

I was down until you mentioned Halloween Candy. That is when I walk out. :)

Yes. I don't think it is asking a lot for a leader to spend time (real time, not supervisory) performing various roles in the store, especially the roles that will be dependent on their planning skills.

Every company I have ever worked for, I made sure to stress that I would not work there unless I had at least one full week of "true" associate experience. In my experience, management training can start off in the wrong way when they are locked in the supervisor bubble. Once you are locked in that bubble, it is very hard to get out and it can be detrimental to the business as well as team cohesion.

Ohhhhh your new... just wait..... it gets way, way, wayy more entertaining...

I remember by first Bacon/Raw Egg Sales Planner I set during Easter.... (I knew the Rules of Species, but uh... bacon and eggs, wasn't covered)

so I exclaimed over the walkie, (Anyone know what comes first? the bacon or the Egg, no one could answer it lmao, it ended up being our Target Trivia question of the week.

Ohhhhh your new... just wait..... it gets way, way, wayy more entertaining...

I remember by first Bacon/Raw Egg Sales Planner I set during Easter.... (I knew the Rules of Species, but uh... bacon and eggs, wasn't covered)

so I exclaimed over the walkie, (Anyone know what comes first? the bacon or the Egg, no one could answer it lmao, it ended up being our Target Trivia question of the week.

With the new Target stylist, Zanna Rassi, I am hoping they leave food out of the home decor and apparel display. :p

Yes, company terminology is a learning progress as it is with any change. Thanks for the reminder.
However, terminology means little if there isn't any actual truth behind the intent. I would hope a team member would not be so quick to snap with an intent to insult and instead remind them of the lingo. The same would apply to anyone trying to learn the culture or language when moving to a foreign location. Again, it is just a sign of career maturity.

I would certainly snap a joke at you, and remind you of the lingo (nicely) Client/Associate is quite to the extreme from the usual Customer/Co-Worker/(I actually got Clerk once?) mistakes. I like to make people feel quickly awkward, then accepted, it breaks the ice.

As long as I am not just one of your Associates (Which makes me feel like we are committing some type of crime?)

YI would hope a team member would not be so quick to snap with an intent to insult and instead remind them of the lingo. The same would apply to anyone trying to learn the culture or language when moving to a foreign location. Again, it is just a sign of career maturity.
Except they're hearing it from a newbie hired externally to do a job many feel they should've had the opp to at least interview for; a newbie coming in with a superiority complex who will be 'leading' team members who have struggled with unrealistic workloads with dwindling hours.
As a result, there's a LOT of resentment festering below the surface but learning the culture goes a long way to earning their respect.
It shows that you're part of the team.

I foresee Market TL making a comeback after so many stores fail at PFab, though. Having a random TL over here makes me feel like I am trying to persuade a Statue of a Corn cob.
I've had a ctl the whole time. You can have ours, I'll even pay to ship her to you. She thinks she can do it, and has been due to lack of tms. Guess who has a red process now and empty shelves from poor ordering?
It's not maturity. After so many years in store we don't hear you when you say associate or manager or customer. If you repeat yourself we might, but for the sake of speed we are keyed to tune into certain vocab words. "Team______?" Whether "where can I find something" "who is covering an area" or "can someone meet a guest here".

As far as the same as languages in other places. Nope. Many foreign countries are notorious for having no patience for Americans struggling to use the local dialect.

Except they're hearing it from a newbie hired externally to do a job many feel they should've had the opp to at least interview for; a newbie coming in with a superiority complex who will be 'leading' team members who have struggled with unrealistic workloads with dwindling hours.
As a result, there's a LOT of resentment festering below the surface but learning the culture goes a long way to earning their respect.
It shows that you're part of the team.

It does, become red with us... "Assimilate"...........

Luckily my store is very active with internal hires, we are looked at as a "training" store and often have adorably ignorant ETL-ITs (In Training) I got to show one how to clear a call box, now she is an STL (your damn sure I let her know who did before she left, lol). Our VML is an Internal, who I know quite well, and actually told them he should go for it, but I saw a few externals interview (I think it was more of a formality, than anything).

This will probably be a postion that will be eliminated in a couple years or duties expanded that newly hired college degree team members will understand my cynicism.
Or, maybe Target is trying to elevate the employee profile and will eliminate some of the smaller positions in order to capitalize on the experience that us externally hired new VML's are going to be bringing to the table. It isn't a "pet project" It is an investment in upscaling the experience that Target guest have while shopping.
Just like Target pairs with some of the best designers in the industry to do the Collaborative capsule collections, they want that type of employee in house to reflect the same sense of style. I wouldn't be so negative about the position, it puts us down.

I've had a ctl the whole time. You can have ours, I'll even pay to ship her to you. She thinks she can do it, and has been due to lack of tms. Guess who has a red process now and empty shelves from poor ordering?

It's not maturity. After so many years in store we don't hear you when you say associate or manager or customer. If you repeat yourself we might, but for the sake of speed we are keyed to tune into certain vocab words. "Team______?" Whether "where can I find something" "who is covering an area" or "can someone meet a guest here".

As far as the same as languages in other places. Nope. Many foreign countries are notorious for having no patience for Americans struggling to use the local dialect.

"LOD, Steritech is at Guest Service"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back