Archived VM TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've had to re-merchandise a ton of racks with no VA's and anytime I've set mannequins we are out of basically all the stocks so I've been styling the looks myself. I don't know, this what you want about the job or whatever I posted, all I know is I do have tons of work outside the scope of what those paper booklets tell me to put where. I should never have posted anything.

What we're trying to tell you is that what you consider a broad scope of things to be doing, we all do daily.

Bless you. My VMTL told me that cosmetics isn't even that much work and that I should be able to do everything everyday. It's good to see someone who actually cares about their team and is willing to do the work. Cheers!

Anybody who would say a high profit and high unit turnover department isn't "much work" should have to do a research after 3 weeks of no-love in 'said' department. If I can't personally do something within a time frame, then why should I expect the same from my own team. I have also always been open to my co-workers who can show me that something 'can' be done. There really is value in the "Show Me" coaching method.

I agree somewhat...although, making "more" is subjective and with what the duties require so far, anything higher than a pg17 doesn't make payroll sense unless us VMLs were to lead larger teams and building responsibilities (we do not right now).

I have been reading this thread for a while, being an external hire. While I can understand the frustrations and confusion surrounding the position (I have witnessed this issue in my location), there is no reason for the hate responses on the forum. Almost every single apparel or home decor business has a position similar to the VML. It is a bit jarring that the specialty position didn't exist before considering Target's market group.

Coming into my location, the TLs were overworked, stretched-thin and having to juggle multiple DORs that cannot be completed in a way that would profit the business. The TLs I have worked with have expressed their relief and excitement that this position now exists. They have the foresight and business acumen to understand how this will elevate the location and affect profit margin. I felt a great sense of empathy for their predicaments, having been in their positions before. The greatest support that I can see so far is our ability to assist the plano and instock teams. Expecting them to be able to read more detailed reports, communicate with corporate and fine tune the store is overkill on their already high workload. We are also relieving the TLs from areas they should not have to worry about outside of a general interest.

Being a VML not only requires a sense of style knowledge it also requires knowing how to communicate, interpret metrics and educate teams across all divisions. This requires a mixture of experience, education and wisdom which isn't always compatible with a person who hasn't had broad exposure to merchandising. This is apparent with how some of the forum replies have been.

I haven't been told why this position doesn't receive keys, outside of some laughs about not having to deal with the alarm or being last one out. Who knows. Having a key to a building doesn't validate anyone's pay code or worth though arguing that it does, tends to show career immaturity), it is just tied to what their direct responsibilities are. Personally, every position I have had as a VM in a senior/executive position has required me to hold keys, but I was also responsible for being the first one in the building at times due to project workloads. It also surprised me since most of the companies I have worked generally have the VM team arrive the earliest or utilizing overnight projects.

I would be interested in knowing more VML's experiences so far and how their teams have been reacting to their positions. Now that we know most of our Visual Merchandising Market Leaders are, it should (hopefully) become clearer how our roles will be utilized.

It validates Trust, which is actually quite a high value, among us Humans on Planet Earth, and losing said Keys, could mean ones very job.

When I see someone with "The Key" I tend to respect them, as, unless proven, I tend to believe they earned them, and that we wouldn't even be stepping into the door without it.

Instead of Displaying Art Theory/Design through someone else's designs, however, the Key Carriers, when I tend to arrive at my store, are trying to design a way to move 2500 pieces from a truck, to a shelf, or that other shelf, while making sure that 1000 piece Food truck came in and is being pushed so it stays fresh/doesn't kill people and get us sued".

while herding a flock of ~30+ humans, and making sure none of these Idiots (sorry flowteam <3) in Dry Market take a Flat through that new fancy Plaid Chair/Plaid Blanket/Plaid Diet Coke/PlaidonPlaid Setup that the VM team setup to appeal to? idk? Canadian Target Shoppers?..

Oh my goodness...absolutely. I still haven't met my Beauty Brand yet (has been out for 2 weeks), but I decided to spend a day in there since it has such a high profit margin. I spent 9 hours zoning that beast...and it still wasn't finished. Talk about bringing me down to workload reality! I am glad when things like this happen to me since it lets me understand what my Brand may have to deal with if not supported appropriately and with unrealistic expectations.
And this the attitude a VML should have. Thank you posting that.

Anybody who would say a high profit and high unit turnover department isn't "much work" should have to do a research after 3 weeks of no-love in 'said' department. If I can't personally do something within a time frame, then why should I expect the same from my own team. I have also always been open to my co-workers who can show me that something 'can' be done. There really is value in the "Show Me" coaching method.

Can I keep you?

I'm actually enjoying the fact that we can't find anyone "qualified"for this position at my store....still. Going to chat with etl-hr about then ignoring my application, even to just say no thank you. Since it blocks me applying for anything else if they let it sit there like usual...

It validates Trust, which is actually quite a high value, among us Humans on Planet Earth, and losing said Keys, could mean ones very job.

When I see someone with "The Key" I tend to respect them, as, unless proven, I tend to believe they earned them, and that we wouldn't even be stepping into he door without it.

My litmus test for trust and respect doesn't start with a key.

I'm also a bit freaked because the concensus is that this position will not be around in a year or so...

I wouldn't think that way since it won't help you or anyone in the location by even entertaining that thought. Any position can be gone within a year, especially during a transitional phase that the company is going through. Work to your potential and understand your customer (ahem..guest), team and company. Keep up to date on what is going on in your store, the company and in the industry. Even if our positions don't survive as they are now, it is still a learning process for you and the company. If your team believes in your skills and contribution, it will only help you with your career growth, Target or otherwise.

I'm actually enjoying the fact that we can't find anyone "qualified"for this position at my store....still. Going to chat with etl-hr about then ignoring my application, even to just say no thank you. Since it blocks me applying for anything else if they let it sit there like usual...
I'm wondering too. My store took down the posting, but hasn't hired anyone yet.

Critique away! That actually sounds fun! My dad has 3 art degrees, so he told me to take pictures of everything she does so he can break them down by style and artistic direction.

*Edited to fix the fact that I called my VMTL a he on accident...oops.

It was more Psychological Art than anything, the Project was to "Paint the Emotion you feel when you see the Person you love most, through color"

"Paint a picture of your personal view of Vulnerability" (Which was a big hint of what was to come).

All 4"x 5" Canvas that you had to handcraft. Each person (of 17) had to give at least 1 negative critique of it... while you displayed it through the Lecture Hall...

So Pretty much 17 people telling you, how your "View" on Love is totally wrong,

While after, they unknowingly display their own Vulnerability while destroying yours (This part was kind of cool, but being told how I felt about my Mother was totally wrong, by 17 people, totally sucked, For everyone involved).

Mine neither, but target has different standards...
Unless you have been privy to some information that the vast majority have not, Target "not" giving keys to this new position has no bearing on them trusting or respecting them. Every VML goes through the exact same HR process as any other leader, being Executive or Senior. I still stand by having no key being a reason due to the type of responsibility the VMLs will have. I am quite certain we will learn more over the next few weeks with the VMMLs being announced (who are a mix of internal and externals).

Unless you have been privy to some information that the vast majority have not, Target "not" giving keys to this new position has no bearing on them trusting or respecting them. Every VML goes through the exact same HR process as any other leader, being Executive or Senior. I still stand by having no key being a reason due to the type of responsibility the VMLs will have. I am quite certain we will learn more over the next few weeks with the VMMLs being announced (who are a mix of internal and externals).
If you have keys target trusts you. Even if you are lazy or rude, you'll soon find those key holders are hard to touch when it comes to actions and consequences.

Vml does not need keys, likely because target wants you to be free from such basic trivialities as opening the door and cash office. Not because they don't trust you. Think that came across wrong.

I think everyone's problem with your posts is your implication that your degree (even though you have no retail experience) means that the Brand TMs and TLs who were doing your job before you with less hours, more workload, and half the pay are somehow beneath you. I think we all generally agree with the existence (and I suppose the paygrade) of this position. We just don't agree with the attitude that internals are somehow less capable of pulling it off.
But the whole point of going to college IS so you get more money. That's why people do it.

Why are you assuming that TMs don't have college degrees? And why are you assuming that internal TMs were even offered this position whether or not they had degrees? Oh boy lol.
I'm not assuming anything, you all posting are complaining that I brought up my degree. So ...I addressed it.

Also, newsflash - even if someone doesn't have a degree does NOT mean they are beneath you. That's just basic human decency.
I didn't say that, but college degrees are worth more pay. has nothing to do with human decency/inherent personal value. It's just like someone who has a masters degree would make more than me..,

I'm not assuming anything, you all posting are complaining that I brought up my degree. So ...I addressed it.

Nobody is complaining that you brought up your degree. Good for you for having a degree in something you enjoy. We are "complaining" because you are acting like you're better than the same people who are helping you...

Nobody is complaining that you brought up your degree. Good for you for having a degree in something you enjoy. We are "complaining" because you are acting like you're better than the same people who are helping you...
OK, well I apologize. I treat everyone the same.

But the whole point of going to college IS so you get more money. That's why people do it.

The only friends of mine who have work in the field of their degree straight out of College, are Engineers and Lawyers. College IMO is not as essential as I think it is made out to be, Colleges want money, Schools want kids to go to College so said School earns more "Clout" (Same can be said for some parents).

Don't get me wrong, College is important, and depending on your field, is damn near Vital, but I can tell you I am far and away not the only person in this forum lacking that ever present "Two year experience in the field" requirement for "STARTING/JUNIOR" Positions.

Well it is to get more money and also to be able to expose yourself to knowledge that would otherwise take a lot of time to acquire (aka: wisdom).

Coming straight of out college, I think believing that you will inherently earn more than someone with work experience but no degree is naive about the real market we live in. Yes, it does help to have a degree and it is most certainly required for specific fields, but it is not a pay grade buffer for entry.

What a degree *can* do, as is in your case it seems, is let you bypass years of work and growth that an entry associate without a degree would have needed to perform. There is nothing wrong with either. However, having a degree and gaining the wisdom from work experience with proven results will eventually make you a stronger candidate in the future and will earn you higher pay when applying with both merits. That is something nobody can discount.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with your responses, as others have, since it is just the internet. Sometimes things sound different or come off the wrong way depending on how we dictate our responses. Everyone has their moments of "misinterpretation" or "ignorance". You have already apologized for other responses, so just ignore rehashes of the same information and move on with whatever you wish to discuss.

If this is your first real position out of college, I would advise joining some industry blogs and forums. They can post some very beneficial information for careers in merchandising and leadership. The latter being the most difficult to get a grasp on when starting out fresh. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back