Archived VM TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not to say that these hours won't eventually disappear or begin to be pulled from other areas of the store. Hell, the VML as it's currently designed may not even exist or might look entirely different by this time next year. This position is still very much in a test.

I don't think they'd be posting this job as an N17 if they weren't serious about style. Brian has made it very clear that style is one of our 5 core categories and the company is doubling down on those core categories.

The field partners on the call were very upfront and honest about the fact that this is a test and that the position as it is currently known will likely change and adapt as the test continues and HQ receives feedback from store teams.

Last edited:
As a PA I may just start referring to myself as "Visual Merchandiser" everytime we get a crap food truck and I am forced to visually merchandise a whole bunch ofcrap with crappy looking flip labels..

Or can this be part of the VM teams job so I can go clean something.

I just accepted this position at my store. I think we have 2 weeks left in our 6 week remodel. I start training next week.
Part of me is freaking out cause I'm helping cover the areas of some of our mbtm cause they moved to work remodel.

I'm still not clear on whether this is a TL or TM position. The opening "Visual Merchandising Leader" is listed under "Sales Floor" and not "Supervisory" on the Target jobs page, but my ETL-SF says it's a TL position.
It's not a full TL position. The VML will have a couple of people under them that they'll oversee. But they won't have coaching power.

Maybe cycle 1 stores are testing different parameters and responsibilities for the role. The field partners on the Cycle 2 conference call I was on the other day made it clear that the VML is a team leader. They will have direct reports and all the responsibilities of a team leader. They just will not be a SrTL spot even though they are N17.

So they fall under the SF ETL.
My instructions are I can talk to TM if they are slacking. And if that doesn't resolve the issue, I can go to my ETL and have him follow up.

Update: I'm a week and a half into training. It's aight. Apparently I get to be on a conference call next week. Also, I have email. And I got a package, so I get a box now. So much power. I can't even sometimes.

Last edited:
So they fall under the SF ETL.
My instructions are I can talk to TM if they are slacking. And if that doesn't resolve the issue, I can go to my ETL and have him follow up.

Update: I'm a week and a half into training. It's aight. Apparently I get to be on a conference call next week. Also, I have email. And I got a package, so I get a box now. So much power. I can't even sometimes.[/QU. Love to. My stl is lagging. I believe that the PPTL position should be a 15 at least.

Not to brag again, but a few years ago I posted the "ideal" org chart in a thread somebody started about how they would run things, and I had this position but just called it the "Merchandising Team Leader" who would own this stuff. I swear I am sick of not getting paid for my ideas!

My most recent idea is to cut all ETL-APs down to APTLs, bring back an Investigator for every district again (or add an Investigator to high risk districts that may already have them) and pool the TPS/APS hours into a lump sum per district and allow the Investigator to place them where they see the greatest needs at the time. This would allow the APTL to be 40 hours of guaranteed AP for a store (covering that store's specific shortage, safety, and security plans) while the Investigator could monitor theft on the district level and align the allocation of hours to where the activity is (instead of forcing some stores that are seeing no activity to have 1 ETL and 1 TPS for no reason while one store might need some help). This would be an overall reduction to AP costs, but allow the Investigator, TPS, and APS team to focus on their priorities.

Let's see how long it takes that one to come into play :)

Not to brag again, but a few years ago I posted the "ideal" org chart in a thread somebody started about how they would run things, and I had this position but just called it the "Merchandising Team Leader" who would own this stuff. I swear I am sick of not getting paid for my ideas!
Here it is:
One other suggestion...

If Target can estimate the Price Accuracy workload 2 weeks out, then they can definitely estimate a certain amount of hours for the PTM workload! They need to come up with a workcenter (call it merchandising?) that they can put hours into that reflects the amount of time they want us to spend working on PTM aisles! Every store either under does PTM or over does it, and Target gives almost no direction on the amount of time it should be taking to do this! Its part of the transition process and they allocate hours to every other step in it, why not this part? I am talking about their workload of putting up MPG labels, working out dcoded product, and the initial remerchandising of the aisle (upkeep of this should go to the zone team)...

My most recent idea is to cut all ETL-APs down to APTLs, bring back an Investigator for every district again (or add an Investigator to high risk districts that may already have them) and pool the TPS/APS hours into a lump sum per district and allow the Investigator to place them where they see the greatest needs at the time. This would allow the APTL to be 40 hours of guaranteed AP for a store (covering that store's specific shortage, safety, and security plans) while the Investigator could monitor theft on the district level and align the allocation of hours to where the activity is (instead of forcing some stores that are seeing no activity to have 1 ETL and 1 TPS for no reason while one store might need some help). This would be an overall reduction to AP costs, but allow the Investigator, TPS, and APS team to focus on their priorities.

Let's see how long it takes that one to come into play :)
Reminds me of ae14:

This info has not been confirmed.
-Pricing TL is being eliminated in almost all the GM/PF stores.
-HRTL will be eliminated in almost all GM/PF stores, even in a lot of higher volume SuperT.
-ETL-AP eliminated in ULV stores. If they have a TPS team they will report to the ETL-HR.
-Reduction of TL and ETL headcount in every org chart.
-Many GM stores will combine Softlines/Hardlines ETL.

They also have to do a weekly conference call, and once a week submit photos of the VIAs via redWire.
They actually started the rewire surveys in our store whenever we came out with the swimsuits this year. And we've done those weekly since then. Then more recently they added a C9 survey.
I like the idea because it give us a chance to go through those focus areas and give it a detailed zone and make sure it's set to the adjacency. On days that I am completing the merchandiser surveys, I take that as my chance to clean everything up (actually dust and sweep them) and stock to capacity and scan research in those areas if needed.

It's possible that they are testing different versions of this role...

Visual Merchandising Lead, N17
Visual Merchandising Team Lead, N15

?

I really couldn't tell you. Just in my store they are a paygrade 17 with no LOD responsibilities and all the roles and responsibilities of any other TL.

Just went through my first two interviews for this today. Any pointers for the last one? Also did you guys do the picture packet with your interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back