Archived VM TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the 90s we used to cross merchandise product to make pretty displays. Especially on the 4 glass 4 ways in home decor before they changed it to a gondola. WE STOPPED DOING IT BECAUSE COUNTS WERE GETTING MESSED UP OF THOSE ITEMS MOVED FROM THEIR HOME LOCATIONS. HQ told stores to STOP.

That's the only reason current team members don't. Not because we don't have an eye for style.

All hq had to do was tell us to do it again, and provide the book of guidelines if they felt it was necessary.

I've been assuming they'd cut one of the older positions first and let this one ride out for a while.
I can't think of any positions to cut. Maybe food ave, but probably not. Every other TL is essential, since we're already stripped down to the minimum lol.

My ETL loosened the reigns on my VML and let her merchandise endcaps with extra flare (area rugs, unwrapping blankets) but I'm still kind of pissed they won't be setting the VA in softlines. They need LOD shifts or extra responsibility, bottom line. To get paid way more than your average TL that is the only way to be fair. I see dropping this position down to a regular TL position definitely.

Mines is really good they are trying to move her up to etl-ge/sf she been with the company for a year and in vml for 5 months I think now because she was around in July

No, everyone hates us VML's...sad but true.

I love being a VML. My etls love me. My team loves me... Except maybe in stocks because I move things but they do their best to work around it and if not I fix things... Thursday and Friday were a little rough considering I'm new to target and it was crazy busy. So, I struggled to fill end caps as fast as they were emptied.

But all in all I'm having a pleasant experience so far!!!

Like all new roll puts home will be the focus till the next thing come along just like pfresh. Only difference is I can agree that the vml position will probably be removed in most store maybe not in your ultra high volume stores

I love being a VML. My etls love me. My team loves me... Except maybe in stocks because I move things but they do their best to work around it and if not I fix things... Thursday and Friday were a little rough considering I'm new to target and it was crazy busy. So, I struggled to fill end caps as fast as they were emptied.

But all in all I'm having a pleasant experience so far!!!
You filled end caps, that's great our VML tried to hide all night with her little Buddy.

I can't think of any positions to cut. Maybe food ave, but probably not. Every other TL is essential, since we're already stripped down to the minimum lol.

I feel like we could lose a sr tl or two. One of mine is on loa and it hasn't been a huge change. Except for the people taking over her lod shifts. I'm attempting to think like a big wig. I don't actually believe we should lose more tl positions.

Pretty much anyone in the store could do what the vmtls do if given the hours or even half.

I'm willing to admit I don't have the style or sense of display to do the job.
I can un-clutter and could probably set up a pog to plan, even detail it out and make it look sharp given the time and manpower.
But I don't have the eye to come up with new stuff and toss in a few shirts to make it all pull together in a way that's totally different.
That takes practice, skill and some training.

Now, the problem is that those people have to be given reign and respect something that doesn't come cheap in the world of retail these days.
When people are barely able to get product on shelves or have enough bodies to ring up the product going out the door, having an artist making things look cool seems kind of out of step with the priorities.
It's a good idea, in a better world.

I think I understood it as accepting internal apps, but the ideal candidate has a good amount of experiments merchandising and making their own product decisions. Think places like Anthropologie, maybe a J Crew or something. Most internals probably don't have tons of experience at the level it sounds like they want.
My friend recently got hired to this position and he previously worked at Anthro so this makes sense.

I like the new VML they hired but I have to admit that I can't see a noticeable change anywhere except for everyday the focals in our home furnishing section looks different. When I'm having to flex everything in Bullseye Playground myself I have to wonder what she actually does that takes all day that she couldn't spend a few hours here.

How is everyone managing finding time to keep both hardlines and softlines up to standard. I'm not getting help in either area and I'm finding it hard to be able to be keep both areas up. When I asked for help in softlines with some minor task I was told that Mbtm aren't really under the vml, so the task they are given are to come from the softlines tl. No one zones the trend runs, focals or accessories other then myself. So I spend most of my time cleaning those areas and have no time to make things stand out. I feel overwhelmed and need some advice on how to manage it all.

How is everyone managing finding time to keep both hardlines and softlines up to standard. I'm not getting help in either area and I'm finding it hard to be able to be keep both areas up. When I asked for help in softlines with some minor task I was told that Mbtm aren't really under the vml, so the task they are given are to come from the softlines tl. No one zones the trend runs, focals or accessories other then myself. So I spend most of my time cleaning those areas and have no time to make things stand out. I feel overwhelmed and need some advice on how to manage it all.

SLTMs should be doing the zoning in accessories. That's not the VML's job. The VML is supposed to focus on the focal areas... the main aisle endcaps for instance but he/she is not responsible for the zone in the entire dept. I would talk to the SLTL about this one.

PS: ASANTS and all that but in our store we still set the mannequins with the VAs. The VML just makes sure that it got done and is up to date.

Honestly all I ever see my VML do is walk around, move some purses in Softlines and find him in the office on his phone. I don't know what he does to be honest.

I'm willing to admit I don't have the style or sense of display to do the job.
I can un-clutter and could probably set up a pog to plan, even detail it out and make it look sharp given the time and manpower.
But I don't have the eye to come up with new stuff and toss in a few shirts to make it all pull together in a way that's totally different.
That takes practice, skill and some training.

Now, the problem is that those people have to be given reign and respect something that doesn't come cheap in the world of retail these days.
When people are barely able to get product on shelves or have enough bodies to ring up the product going out the door, having an artist making things look cool seems kind of out of step with the priorities.
It's a good idea, in a better world.

I can see reign, but the only way you earn respect (below ETL) in retail is by earning it. Our VML was a "sorta" Brand TM at my store before he became a VML, so we are all kind of friends.
I honestly can understand the frustration having a lot of the store looking at you have it really easy.

Last edited:
I'm no artist, I just have a strong understanding of the retail business. It masks me upset to read that vml's in other stores are just decorating. The job is more than making things pretty. I look at sales, help fill in endcaps in hardline, zone, I've even done Flex fulfilment. I'm trying to get a better balance at work, and get over these bumps in the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back