Archived VM TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that the VML would be an asset to the store if it was executed properly when it was rolled out. It seems like every store is winging it because of the lack of clarity of the role.
This sends to be the party cry when you expect more as well...it's new (esp to us) were still getting a feel. Fucking figure it out. Merchandising isn't rocket science.

I'm no artist, I just have a strong understanding of the retail business. It masks me upset to read that vml's in other stores are just decorating. The job is more than making things pretty. I look at sales, help fill in endcaps in hardline, zone, I've even done Flex fulfilment. I'm trying to get a better balance at work, and get over these bumps in the road.

I was just joking

There will always be bumps in the road, as you understand then. The Problem is the lack of a clear defined role for you, I honestly, as huge as it is, see VML taking over the Plano ;process in some stores, while pricing is absorbed into Backroom/Instocks.

I honestly think the position of VML should have rolled out on a need basis (stores with home inno).

This sends to be the party cry when you expect more as well...it's new (esp to us) were still getting a feel. Fucking figure it out. Merchandising isn't rocket science.

It's literally common sense. While having that extra "it" factor when it is sorely (but mostly rarely) needed.

Last edited:
How is everyone managing finding time to keep both hardlines and softlines up to standard. I'm not getting help in either area and I'm finding it hard to be able to be keep both areas up. When I asked for help in softlines with some minor task I was told that Mbtm aren't really under the vml, so the task they are given are to come from the softlines tl. No one zones the trend runs, focals or accessories other then myself. So I spend most of my time cleaning those areas and have no time to make things stand out. I feel overwhelmed and need some advice on how to manage it all.

We (softlines tm) still zone that stuff. Only thing that's different is when we change a mannequin outfit to something that's off book, if the vml is in the building, we call her over for assistance. When she's not there, we wing it. Most of her time is spent in hardlines. When she's in SL, she just does the mannequins as far as I know. Oh and I heard she does the c9 VAs.

I believe that the VML would be an asset to the store if it was executed properly when it was rolled out. It seems like every store is winging it because of the lack of clarity of the role.

This is the biggest problem in my store...coupled with a bunch of ETLs with large egos.

My VMML has sent out a number of emails detailing what he wants the VML to concentrate on day to day. The email was pretty self explanatory, yet people continue to play dumb. My Softlines ETL, who has no retail experience whatsoever, clashes with me about my daily routines and how to keep Softlines put together. Also, she ignores direction given by our VMML.

My biggest issue is that they took the Home Innovation from me and my TM and gave it back to Plano. My TM and I completed the last two sets with no issues.

We are supposed to have a VML training day (at my store) next month led by our VMML. I will definitely use that opportunity to ask questions and bring up issues. The DTL, STL, and my ETL are required to attend, as well as the other VMLs in the area.

Hopefully, there will be no more confusion about the VML role.

Merchandising is a skill set. Just by you saying something that degrades their/my, it position makes me wonder about you as a person. Visual Merchandising, can't be taught to just anyone. It's unfortunate you think that way. I've worked for 13 years in this field and I love. It is a very hard but is a very rewarding job and that's why we do it. It's a passion. I hope you change your mind about us.

There is a new boss for vmtl, now.
The retailer aannounced the hire of Erika De Salvatore for the newly created role of Vice President of Visual Merchandising. De Salvatore has more than 15 years of visual merchandising experience, serving most recently as Vice President, Visual Merchandising, Visual Operations, International and Flagship Visual at Express. In her role at Target, De Salvatore will lead the development of visual strategies across the retailer’s merchandising initiatives, with a focus on creating a compelling guest experience in Target stores nationwide.

I feel like they should've done this before hiring the vmls. On the bright side, I assume now or in the nearish future there will be less uncertainty and more direction for the vml's role.
hahahahaha...HAHAHAHAHA. That would be a refreshing change. Spot knowing what it wants...

Merchandising is a skill set. Just by you saying something that degrades their/my, it position makes me wonder about you as a person. Visual Merchandising, can't be taught to just anyone. It's unfortunate you think that way. I've worked for 13 years in this field and I love. It is a very hard but is a very rewarding job and that's why we do it. It's a passion. I hope you change your mind about us.
No offense but anyone can set a table on an end cap with dishes or dress a manny with matching clothes.

I do it to my self every morning

No offense but anyone can set a table on an end cap with dishes or dress a manny with matching clothes.

I do it to my self every morning

I think it's more complicated than that.
I've seen what goes into doing food sets and window displays.
People go to college to study how to do that and win awards for creating the best ones.
It's like creating a magazine ad for the products right before the customers eyes and that isn't as easy as it sounds.
There is balance, use of negative space to draw the eye and how you make people feel when they see the finished product.
All of that had to be done in an instant as they walk by with screaming kids to pick up formula so they will want that overpriced sweater or at least come back for it.

That's not easy and I suspect that not all of the VMLs have the skills to do it properly but the ones who do would be worth the money.
That is if there were plenty of money being pumped into the wages of the TMs already there, the tools they need, floor coverage, etc.
But that's another thing entirely.

I think it's more complicated than that.
I've seen what goes into doing food sets and window displays.
People go to college to study how to do that and win awards for creating the best ones.
It's like creating a magazine ad for the products right before the customers eyes and that isn't as easy as it sounds.
There is balance, use of negative space to draw the eye and how you make people feel when they see the finished product.
All of that had to be done in an instant as they walk by with screaming kids to pick up formula so they will want that overpriced sweater or at least come back for it.

That's not easy and I suspect that not all of the VMLs have the skills to do it properly but the ones who do would be worth the money.
That is if there were plenty of money being pumped into the wages of the TMs already there, the tools they need, floor coverage, etc.
But that's another thing entirely.
People also go to college to learn to play instruments when then can learn one without school.

I'm not saying it doesn't take a keep eye but it's dirt easy. My Vml does nothing but zone now because there is only so much you can do to a display.

It's a waste of 40hours at my store doing something Plano could do.

This position was created for a reason. Get over it. Welcome your new team member and stop complaining and belittling them. I am a VML- I know #'s better than anyone and actually supply them to TL's and ETL's. I am not decorating the store or playing dress up. I am thinking figures and real estate. I am fashion forward and on trend. I educate the team on fashion and trends at huddles, I deliver exceptional service to each guest. And yes, I ring on the register- we are all supposed to respond for the sake of the team.
As I read thru this entire thread the reality of the misconception and no buy in by team members is all too real...
Guess what? I didn't wake up one day and say hey, I want to be a VM at Target. I was recruited. Why? Because I possess a strong work ethic, a consistent work history with growth, business sense, and a background in fashion design and retail management with top misses specialty stores.
While, I have done my best to assimilate in to Target culture, team member's resentment is wide spread. Give us a chance.

This position was created for a reason. Get over it. Welcome your new team member and stop complaining and belittling them. I am a VML- I know #'s better than anyone and actually supply them to TL's and ETL's. I am not decorating the store or playing dress up. I am thinking figures and real estate. I am fashion forward and on trend. I educate the team on fashion and trends at huddles, I deliver exceptional service to each guest. And yes, I ring on the register- we are all supposed to respond for the sake of the team.
As I read thru this entire thread the reality of the misconception and no buy in by team members is all too real...
Guess what? I didn't wake up one day and say hey, I want to be a VM at Target. I was recruited. Why? Because I possess a strong work ethic, a consistent work history with growth, business sense, and a background in fashion design and retail management with top misses specialty stores.
While, I have done my best to assimilate in to Target culture, team member's resentment is wide spread. Give us a chance.

Ok, and what are your opportunities?

Ok, and what are your opportunities?
Opportunities in my learning plan?
Opportunities to merchandise?Opportunities for growth?
Opportunities that I took advantage of to get me to where I am today?
I am unclear where you are going with this.

Opportunities is Target speak for things you can improve on. Things you're not so amazing at.

With my Spot-Glasses on, I can see why TMs/TLs would be frustrated with VML, with just this response...

With them off, I know exactly what you mean.

Opportunities is Target speak for things you can improve on. Things you're not so amazing at.
I didn't realize I listed all my strengths. Lol
So my biggest opportunity and focus this first quarter is forging relationships with team members and getting others to buy in to the position. Without this, I would not be able to do my best.

Opportunities
With my Spot-Glasses on, I can see why TMs/TLs would be frustrated with VML, with just this response...

With them off, I know exactly what you mean.
"opportunities" is not unique to Target. I am just curious the intent as everyone has opps. It is not unique to VML's
And I have no idea what your response means.
As equally frustrating you assume it is to TM and TL, remember from our perspective it is equally frustrating.
The role out was not great, and our role is still being defined and redefined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opportunies

"opportunities" is not unique to Target. I am just curious the intent as everyone has opps. It is not unique to VML's

Opportunities are not unique to VMLs, but this thread is about VMLs. And since you gave us a very in depth description of all the great things you do for your store, he was probably interested in your opps. This whole argument has been one side saying "this position is useless" and the other side saying "no it isn't, look at how great we are." Where's the middle ground? If you knew what he was asking because it isn't "unique to Target" then why be sarcastic and come off sounding that way? No need to get so defensive, it's not helping anything, and it certainly won't help your opportunity of getting your TMs to "buy into" your position.

Opportunities are not unique to VMLs, but this thread is about VMLs. And since you gave us a very in depth description of all the great things you do for your store, he was probably interested in your opps. This whole argument has been one side saying "this position is useless" and the other side saying "no it isn't, look at how great we are." Where's the middle ground? If you knew what he was asking because it isn't "unique to Target" then why be sarcastic and come off sounding that way? No need to get so defensive, it's not helping anything, and it certainly won't help your opportunity of getting your TMs to "buy into" your position.
That was not an in depth at all description. Just the tip of the iceberg.
And this is why this is such a long thread, which I read all of, and I'm not being sarcastic.
I did not say how great of a merchant I am or that RTW comped at 60% last month, blah blah blah.
Simply put, The VML, from what I have read, is clearly not accepted. And at the end of the day, if we can't make authentic connections, and get past the fact that I / we were hired from the outside and that we have no added value as team leaders is nonsense. Please give the position a chance.

Please give the position a chance.

Alright, I won't argue with you about whether or not your defensive response to his question was sarcastic. But yeah, no need to tell me to give the position a chance. I'm a merchandising brand team member, aka my position is also new and was created to be a direct report to the VML. I also deal with other TMs treating me like dirt because they think the position is useless and are mad that I got a raise to "walk around all day making things look pretty."

I love our VML. She's fun and has a great sense for merchandising and style, and she's done great things for our store so far. I also believe, however, that her and other VMLs who I have met and worked with have a lot to learn about Target culture and how the store is run. It's more than just going up for backup, helping guests, or driving sales. I know most VMLs were hired externally and come from very different backgrounds. That's why there's such a huge disconnect.

You need to understand that most TMs, especially some of the ones who have commented here, have valid reason for being upset about this position. People who have worked their ass off for Spot for years in Presentation, Signing, Logistics, as Brand TMs...and were denied the opportunity to even apply for this position because they were internal. Now someone who has no Target experience comes in brand new making double what they're making to do something that they could have very well done themselves. By just assuming that everyone is complaining and belittling you, you're already making it harder for your TMs to relate to you.

Pick a day to get "down and dirty" with your team. Tackle a 4x4. Pull your own PTM batch so the skeleton crew in the BR doesn't have to. Help with some of the reshop (especially if you were the one who created it). Push clearance in Sporting Goods. Show them that you're not just a new TL that gets paid more but has less responsibility, because honestly, that's what they're all thinking (and in some ways it is true). You're never going to win everyone over. Oh well, that's the reality of any job. But it doesn't hurt to try and understand where they're coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back