Archived VM TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vmls- how are you guys doing so? Do we like the job? Can i get feedback from you?
Well, I'm getting tons of hostility from other team members, since there is no real "Team" for me to lead, I'm sectioned off alone from all the other teams and am excluded from conversations etc. It feels like nobody really takes me seriously, its not a good feeling.

I'd say so ;)
I really don't think that the corporate headquarters did a very good job rolling this position out, People are still wondering what the fuck it is I do at my store, also the STL's need to do a better job explaining the vml position to all team members so that they know what's up and how they are going to be working with us. I had a co-worker just the other day who didn't even know I was considered a Team Leader.

Not to be unduly critical, but from a sr tl at another store, the pay is waaay out of line.

This sr tl is lod many shifts and a keyholder (obviously.) He's been with the company for 5 years, starting as a sales floor tm. Worked his way up while going to college.

He told me he almost walked out when he found out the newly hired vmtl was making more than him. Great strategy target.

My opinion, an unnecessary position. Ours had zero to do with setting up seasonal. How much more of a VISUAL representation is there in the store??!!

But I agree that it'll be a huge learning curve to find out you've just been hired to be cashier most days.

At least most will be the highest paid hourly person in the store.
I know,, I was doing back-up cashiering yesterday, I've never seen any of the other Team Leaders on the register. Also, I really dislike how everyone just blows us off and holds us to blame because headquarters did a shoddy job of planning this position out and explaining it to everyone in the store.

Monday they walk with store leaders around the stores and address anything that needs done to visual areas of the store(trend runs, vocals, softlines). They also print the PTM report and speak to the Sales floor TLs about ptm areas and any ideas they have. Any adjacencies that are being set or focal/trend runs should be addressed too.
Then, they get to work. Every visual area of the store is touched up, flexed, zoned, PTMed. They make sure the signing on those areas are correct and not missing as well. Basically whatever needs done to make it look great. Mannequins are dressed to the adjacency or something similar if we don't have enough of that clothing. Any rack in softlines that looks like crap and they have a better idea of how to merchandise it they can fix it. For instance if they go on the computer and realize Xhilaration sales are down in RTW, they go over there and fix it. Make sure it's on the right rack, merchandise outfits together, etc. They clean and dust the fixtures as they go through. Its a lot of small tasks that were already being done by other teams (except now it can be done routinely and kept up with).
Yeah, you nailed it, thats my week in a nutshell. Doesn't sound too impressive...

My VMTL came over to me and told me to make one of my focals look pretty because it was almost empty and looked like shit. She wanted me to "use my best judgement and fix it" while she went and complained to the LOD about how lazy and useless our Softlines team is (yes, I heard you, bitch, and any inkling of faith I had in you is now gone).

I'm torn between thinking that her trusting me to design my end cap is a good thing and thinking that she just doesn't know how to set it best.

I'm choosing to believe it's a good thing.
It's a good thing. Everyone talks shit from time to time...

It is the VMLs job to backup cashier as well. If you've been In store for 2 weeks and haven't cashiered when we are backed up then congratulations on giving us another reason to hate this position. I made my VML go up today because I flat out wasn't going to go up after being up there for an hour. They can walk away from primping an end cap just as well as I can walk away from the mounds of tissue paper I scraped off a basedeck onto the floor to salvage today.
Looks to me like cashiering is in their job description!
Yes, I have to cashier, whats wrong with that? although I NEVER see any other team leaders on the register. They DO however get pissed off at me if I don't run up there as soon as they need back-up. annoying.

I mean, I'm fully expecting VML to be cut back by this time next year.
They won't be cutting the position, it would make the new CEO seem weak and that he made a mistake or can't commit to developing the position and taking the co. in this new overall direction. Even if it's only for his ego, the VML position is staying.

Yes, the clothes on our mannequins sell extremely well. More team members need to be trained on how to undress and redress them since guests often purchase the sizes that are on the mannequin. I wish the mannequins themselves were more trendy and impactful. Ours have no heads and are pure white and wear no shoes. My understanding is that they are not supposed to be accessorized, but I always need to know which shoes to get with an outfit and there are so many sales opportunities for accessories with this that this direction seems ridiculous! Whether or not this could have been accomplished with Susie TeamMember and not a degreed merchandiser will always be up for debate and since it was not tried without, we won't know. It doesn't matter. This is driving sales.

Our VMTL has spent a great deal of time zoning softlines and changing counts. It has been a tremendous help to Instocks for research purposes and maybe our softlines departments will actually live up to their sales potential by getting in product that sells! At this point, there has been no impact in hardlines since all of her time has been spent in softlines.
Isn't it CRAZY how quickly things sell when they are on the mannequin, it's like magic or something, everything I style up there sells through. Good for us, it shows how we can directly affect the sales for the store.

They won't be cutting the position, it would make the new CEO seem weak and that he made a mistake or can't commit to developing the position and taking the co. in this new overall direction. Even if it's only for his ego, the VML position is staying.
They rolled it out as a pilot, which means the possibility remains that it'll be cut.

Good luck with that. Flow team will destroy it. They don't care "Make it fit!" Repeat until you give up.

I wish I was joking.
I know, it's ridiculous, it's like hello, use your eyesight, you know that looks like shit...

My vml is growing on me. And I think we're growing on her. I hated all the new leaders when they started and now I like most of them but still dislike things they do. You know because no one's perfect, can't like anyone 100% of the time. I'm optimistic. I'm sure it'll all be fine once she figures out how to deal with the... Quirks of working at my store.

That is not true! Our VML is a sweet heart, a team player, and yes she also backup cashiers when she is working near the check lanes. She is an asset to our store. All stores are different.
Lucky her, I sure feel like nobody gives a shit about me at my store.

Ours has been in position less than 2 months. ALL she does is follow the ETL-salesfloor/ge around. The last two days she's been doing flexible fulfillment. She hasn't done ANYTHING vml related, not once, since she started. When she has trained w the sltl, she wanders off as soon as the tl helps a guest or goes up for backup.
I knew this would happen to her. The Stl is a moron and will have her just putting out fires everyday no matter where its occurring.

They rolled it out as a pilot, which means the possibility remains that it'll be cut.
Agreed. It will be cut. Seen it happen to every position they've tried out before. The ceo will look like a life saver when he cuts the position to save payroll. And when they see that sales can't be proven to have increased BECAUSE of the vml, it won't be cost effective. OR a new urgent concern will come up next year that will be more important to fix than what the vml does now.
Rsch tl, recovery tl, Instocks tl all went away. Some high volume stores may still have just an Instocks tl, but the majority of us had Instocks given to the brtl. Instocks was a HUGE focus in 2007/2008. In 2009 it was combined w backroom.

Bryan, I'm not going to argue with you. You can think what you want. But I've been with target since 1994 and have done every tl and ETL position in the building. I've seen it all. I've hired and relocated tms to new positions from these test positions.
Don't waste your breath trying to convince us otherwise. Just focus on learning and succeeding. (And cross training because your job will change).
Ok ok I threw that last comment in there sorta mean, but us long timers all know it to be true.

At my store, the VML is not a TL and the MBTM's fall under HLTL and SLTL. They literally do not have a team. That being said, ours is nice, but very quiet.
This is what I've felt it should be since the beginning....just another brand lead position.

Guys- u realize many macys- ethan allen- ikea people were hired to CHANGE the concept of the store- to balance the " cheap" with the " chic" the people they spent money on to bring chic back into the task-assembly line environment- think of it this way - target/ walmart- both are saving the guest money- BUT IF TARGET DOESNT SHOW ITS INNOVATION OFF AGAIN WITH TALENTED CREATED PEOPLE THEY HAVE HIRED-what reason do I have to make the trip to target? Go to the best known discounter walmart! All of you- the CEO KNOWS the highest gross profit comes from our cheap chic core brands- it is the only thing that lure guests back to target from walmart

Also- any of you remember that specific test of pictures they went thru on "right"&" wrong"VISUAL PRACTICES in home and rtw?also 3 more stores just added runway trend mannequins to stores in my region- and ive read theres MORE HOME INNOVATION stores planned for 2016- this " visual thing" is not going away- it will be refined and tweeked- but its not going awa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back