Archived WA store getting rid of vests?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdgentarget

Target and Tired • Front End TL
Any advice? I know this has been a discussed topic but as from a store in WA, I know our rules regarding attire are different than others. They are changing the store rule (again) on attire, and getting rid of all but maybe three vests by April 1st, 2019. They are going to be requiring and an ID sign out (DL??, idk what kind of ID yet) for those not wearing red. They aren’t purchasing us uniforms but running a “clothing swap.” My question is, is this an okay form of them providing uniform, and if not who would you recommend we contact, especially if there has been no change from cooperates handbooks? There has been a lot of disapproval around the store regarding this coming change, and so I was wondering what our options are besides my other coworkers purchasing their own vests xD. Thank you!

Attachments

• CF99B0CC-11F3-4496-8B07-EFDFBB241A55.jpeg
    CF99B0CC-11F3-4496-8B07-EFDFBB241A55.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 281
  • B987A607-8351-48B7-BAC0-E1CDE18A1DFE.jpeg
    B987A607-8351-48B7-BAC0-E1CDE18A1DFE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 274
You'd probably talk with like labor enforcement or something at the state level

Guess they figure that people getting one four hour shift a week can’t afford to buy team colors, but still, expecting the team to provide each other with hand-me-downs is the ultimate in cheap. Not cheap chic, just cheap. That’s a new low, even for Spot.🙄

We have something similar at my WA store. Maybe was started over 6 months ago and they added kakis to it when those went away.

They did that when overnight teams went away. Cause flow team members who worked 40hrs at the time(remember overnight six trucks, store at the time) couldn't afford to buy khaki pants while those of us working two shifts a week should give up our extra clothing..

Let me this straight- you can wear a vest OR buy a red t-shirt for like $10 🤔 Sounds like time to call the hotline....

Those are not approved signs.

First, as far as red shirts, does not matter if you work one day a week it is part of the uniform. It is not asking to much to go out and buy a red shirt and khaki pants.

Second, the vest, we're talking cart attendant safety vest right? If so that should be required and I can't see Target pulling it, or better yet I can't see them enforcing a ban on it.

If you mean sales floor uniforms, vest we're a perk that your store could approve.

First, as far as red shirts, does not matter if you work one day a week it is part of the uniform. It is not asking to much to go out and buy a red shirt and khaki pants.

Second, the vest, we're talking cart attendant safety vest right? If so that should be required and I can't see Target pulling it, or better yet I can't see them enforcing a ban on it.

If you mean sales floor uniforms, vest we're a perk that your store could approve.

Washington State requires employers to provide a work uniform if a specific dress code is mandatory.

At my store, it's allowed to wear a red Target vest over a regular clothing, but they really prefer if you have some sort of red shirt on at least. Our main food ave guy wears a normal shirt with a vest, and I'm pretty sure he's an exception because he literally cannot afford to buy clothes, he has to help his mom pay bills and support his household and himself at the same time.

I'm not in WA and my store has up a sign promoting a red clothing swap.

Is this company wide thing?

Different labor laws in CA and WA so unless they provide the vests or a full uniform they cannot get rid of vests. At least that’s what I’ve learned after working at both a California and Washington store. I’m just wondering how, and if the way they are going about it is legal....

It is kind of a cool way to recycle. If your weight changed enough to change sizes (gain or loss) then you could give up the old red shirts that don't fit you. I bought a shirt on Amazon and I hate it. I was too busy to return it so it is just hanging in my closet.

I bought a red vest off the clearance rack at my store for $8 and now I just wear it over all my normal clothes and can wash it and don't have to share it with 19 other people

I don't think the sign meant for TMs to be sharing clothes. It's like the give a penny, take a penny thing: It's asking TMs who have red they don't wear to donate, and giving other TMs the chance to take some if they need it. As for the vests, no your store is not required to provide them for TMs. You're expected to wear red, that's made clear when you're hired, so it's reasonable to expect you to provide your own red clothes. IMO I don't think it's worth the headache to take away the red vests. I would not want to hear people bitching about it.

Different labor laws in CA and WA so unless they provide the vests or a full uniform they cannot get rid of vests. At least that’s what I’ve learned after working at both a California and Washington store. I’m just wondering how, and if the way they are going about it is legal....
The vests are not required by labor laws in CA stores. However, they're provided by most stores because it's easier than having to nag people to wear read/send them home if they're not wearing it.

No they don't. Uniform and dress codes are 2 different things. Target has a dress code and therefore TMs must pay for their own clothes.

The following is a direct quote:

If required clothing is of a common color and conforms to a general dress code or style, the employer is not responsible for the cost. Only the following are considered common colors: • Tops: white, tan, and blue (including light and dark variations of those colors). • Bottoms: tan, black, blue, and gray (including light and dark variations of those colors). If the required clothing is any color other than those above, the employer must provide or compensate the employee for the apparel. I

Red is not white, tan or blue. Therefore the employer is required to provide a red shirt/vest/

No they don't. Uniform and dress codes are 2 different things. Target has a dress code and therefore TMs must pay for their own clothes.

Ding, ding, ding....

What has @LearningTree got wrong Commie?

That would be semantics and legal descriptions, Mr. Conversation Device.

Washington State says that if you require people to wear clothing that they wouldn't ordinarily wear on a day to day basis then you have to pay for it.
So if you have a dress code that says black pants and a blue shirt, no problem.
Most people have those in their closet.
However, most people don't have khaki which is why Washington is one of the Black Pants states.
The red shirt thing is another thing.
They can say wear a common color shirt but they can't tell you red or they have to buy it for you.
TM's pay for their clothes as long as the rules are written in the right way.

I’ve been at Target for awhile, but through the years I’ve been given free tee shirts advertising free shipping or the cartwheel or the red card, etc...

Does that not happen at most stores?

If getting rid of vests, might be nice for them to pass out red shirts to everyone. It would at least solve the problem of someone not having a shirt.

And I live in a state where we bring our own uniforms. But several times I’ve witnessed our HR ETL buy a TM a pair of khakis or a shirt. Someone genuinely hard up, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back