Archived Walmart raising starting pay to $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Target will follow them on this. Its hard enough to get good TMs as it is.

This really puts Target in a pickle, they either have to finally dig deep and get closer to paying their employees what they deserve or they have to hope the general public sentiment that Target is still a better place to work and treats their employees better than Walmart.

My money is on them doing nothing and finally slipping fully below Walmart.

“We’re strengthening investments in our people to engage and inspire them to deliver superior customer experiences.”

Now there's something I never thought I would hear a Walmart exec say (with a straight face).

I can't imagine anyone at my store who makes closer to $8 not at least applying to Walmart—there's a brand new one right next door. Of course Walmart won't need them all, but will probably take the best.

It's not just Target—all retailers have to compete for the same labor pool. The only way anyone else will get quality workers is to either offer competitive pay or a better work environment. No one at my store is happy, so they'll have to up the pay or make due with fewer employees after they lose the best ones.

Unemployment is down for the most part in my state. Some retailers (not Spot) have found to even get people, let alone good people, that they need to be competitive with pay. Walmart already pays more than us in my area. Few years ago it wasn't like that.

If Target follows suit it won't happen until after reviews and my guess would be next year. Walmart didn't just decide one day to pay more, it took a lot of convincing and planning. Target will have to do the same and they've already made their changes (AE15) this year.

This is one way retailers can stay ahead of states raising the minimum wage and I'm glad to see it.
I'll be really interested to see how Spot reacts, there will be serious repercussions if they don't.

With the economy getting better and more job opportunities out there Spot is not going to have an easy time of it.

This is one way retailers can stay ahead of states raising the minimum wage and I'm glad to see it.
I'll be really interested to see how Spot reacts, there will be serious repercussions if they don't.

With the economy getting better and more job opportunities out there Spot is not going to have an easy time of it.
True, might mean less employees though or other cutbacks. I wouldn't count on Target following suit though unless they have a hard time hiring workers or they get a lot of bad press. I wouldn't dare apply to the Walmart near me unless i had to, it smells of pee, has long lines with overflown carts at every open register, and they probably get most of the pictures for people of walmart there. The only nice thing about working there is you don't have to deal with the guest first bs, when you go to Walmart the only positive thing you expect from shopping there are low prices.

Last edited:
i get paid 10$+ 0.50 on hours from midnight - 6 am . but i am in California where the minimum wage is 9.00 . i highly doubt that they will raise it because they raised the wages by 50 cents from 9.50 to 10 < just a day after i started working

i get paid 10$+ 0.50 on hours from midnight - 6 am . but i am in California where the minimum wage is 9.00 . i highly doubt that they will raise it because they raised the wages by 50 cents from 9.50 to 10 < just a day after i started working
I love California, they pay well, allow you to wear black pants, and sue Target for 4 million.

Maybe there will be a last minute restructuring of the raise budget. It's already one of the least rewarding budgets I've seen...well...ever. Add crappy raises on top of 2014 and the beginning of 2015 hurting big time, hours being shaved, AE15 trimming head count, and Wal-Mart announcing that they'll be paying better than Target...BTS this year is going to be brutal.

Target's shit starting pay and shit raises don't get any press. Target PR has done pretty well at keeping that info away from the media. I think that means target isn't too likely to feel pressure from the media and such. Last time I looked at any info about it, walmart's revenue/profits was so much greater than target's that I imagine raising pay has way less impact on wally than it does on target.

Nice little selloff of Target stock today—down about 1% at market open. Investors are smart enough to realize the implications and know it is bad news for Target's earnings either way. Either labor cost goes up or employee productivity goes down (requiring more employees or better technology to compensate).

Of course Walmart's shareholders reacted the same way, but at least they knew about and planned for the cost increase, where Target is left having to react.

Target's shit starting pay and shit raises don't get any press. Target PR has done pretty well at keeping that info away from the media. I think that means target isn't too likely to feel pressure from the media and such. Last time I looked at any info about it, walmart's revenue/profits was so much greater than target's that I imagine raising pay has way less impact on wally than it does on target.

According to the article linked in the first post, this is expected to cost Walmart $1 billion this year...but seeing as how they brought in $476 billion for 2014, it is just a drop in the bucket.

Meanwhile, Target is losing money left and right due to the screw ups of the past few years (Canada, security breach, etc.). No matter what the PR implications may be, I just can't see them going this route for at least a few years (when it hopefully becomes clear that it is working for Walmart).

I was told once the way they establish the local competitive pay rate is by coming in and surveying the other stores in the area. Well, I'm here to tell you we have stores in walking distance well known to be offering way more to start than Target does.

We have home depot and Costco in the same shopping center and they both pay pretty well. Some former tgt TMs and a former gstl are at HD now and they're hiring like crazy again. I look up at the hiring sign everyday when I walk to work.

I was told once the way they establish the local competitive pay rate is by coming in and surveying the other stores in the area. Well, I'm here to tell you we have stores in walking distance well known to be offering way more to start than Target does.

Yes that is true, but I don't know if they do anything if they find higher wages. I know Walmart pays MUCH more than us starting already, and when we requested a wage survey they increased our starting pay by a quarter (uhh still over a dollar less than them...)

Perhaps the BTS won't be affected though. The question is phrased in a way that means you are comparing jobs of the same pay and benefits to Target, and then asking them if they would stay with Target or leave. There will soon be no job that pays as low as Target, so they are asking about a hypothetical that does not really exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back