Archived Walmart raising starting pay to $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our store's base salary is minimum wage...in a high cost area. It's insulting, and moreso with this from Walmart. Next year at this time, the slacker Walmart employee who does nothing will be hired on at a higher rate than I get for being GSA. Something is seriously wrong.

Remember: Minimum wage: we'd like to pay you less, but we can't!

Our store's base salary is minimum wage...in a high cost area. It's insulting, and moreso with this from Walmart. Next year at this time, the slacker Walmart employee who does nothing will be hired on at a higher rate than I get for being GSA. Something is seriously wrong.

Remember: Minimum wage: we'd like to pay you less, but we can't!

Sounds about right. I think my store's starting pay is a dollar over state minimum. Which is absolutely impossible to live on fulltime or parttime in the area I'm in.

State min wage is going up to $10 by 2017. Still not enough to live on

If Target did raise the starting pay to 10 or more I would hope my pay would be raised to match the increase... but I wont hold my breath on that!

Me too considering i basically do the same job as what a CTL USED to do without any extra pay as a PA. Other than paperwork I literally do everything my CTL use to do before they cut the position and since then the workcenters hours have been cut even lower. We have been working on 75 hours a week the past couple weeks with a 2-3 hour gap between opener and "closer" with the closer leaving around 7:30-8

Last edited:
We have home depot and Costco in the same shopping center and they both pay pretty well. Some former tgt TMs and a former gstl are at HD now and they're hiring like crazy again. I look up at the hiring sign everyday when I walk to work.

One of our experienced front end TMs (who was there since our store opened) jumped ship to Home Depot a few months ago. Supposedly her pay is much better.

just saw this article online ....

Experts think Target will follow Wal-Mart's lead on raises

http://www.startribune.com/business/293089081.html

Wal-Mart wage hike seen pressuring Target, fast-food
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/20/us-walmart-target-idUSKBN0LO04320150220

Target spokeswoman Molly Snyder said the company was "committed to offering market competitive wages that can help attract and retain great talent."
She said Target pays above the federal minimum wage of $7.25 at all of its stores, but does not disclose its average rate.

I love that smarmy line about how Target pays above the federal minimum wage.
Considering the state minimum wage is higher in just about every state, that is kinda the way it has to be doncha think.

And even Walmart gives out an average wage for its workers even if it's rigged.
Funny that Spot isn't even willing to try.

Yeah, my Target's base pay is the federal minimum wage, so...

Also, talking to my dad...he said Walmart raises are a MINIMUM of 40 cents. And while that's pretty much what everyone gets, they don't go below that. I told him the average Target employee would fall over from shock if they got that much this year.

Too bad stuff like that doesn't make the news.

ETA: this does not apply if they are capped out.

Last edited:
Also, talking to my dad...he said Walmart raises are a MINIMUM of 40 cents. And while that's pretty much what everyone gets, they don't go below that. I told him the average Target employee would fall over from shock if they got that much this year.

Too bad stuff like that doesn't make the news.

Its because Walmart is a bigger employer, but I do hope it does start to make the news about Targets low wages.

I bet this move right here will earn Walmart much more than the 1 billion they predict to spend on the raises (they probably wouldn't do it if it wouldn't). I used to work for Walmart in their customer care center and I loved it. Contrary to what people tend to say, Walmart actually is a good comapany to work for, or at least it's for damn sure a better place to work than Target. Target can't pay their employees like this right now. Not with how much money they're losing. If they ever decide to give a humane wage to their employees, it won't be for a while, if ever.

I bet this move right here will earn Walmart much more than the 1 billion they predict to spend on the raises (they probably wouldn't do it if it wouldn't). I used to work for Walmart in their customer care center and I loved it. Contrary to what people tend to say, Walmart actually is a good comapany to work for, or at least it's for damn sure a better place to work than Target. Target can't pay their employees like this right now. Not with how much money they're losing. If they ever decide to give a humane wage to their employees, it won't be for a while, if ever.
I feel like we're reaching a tipping point where the general public's opinion of Target and Walmart are going to switch. It started about 5-6 years ago when Walmart started aggressively remodeling their stores and this is only further building on that. This move is not only going to gain favor with the public at large but it's gonna let Walmart easily poach the best talent Target has for hourly team members.

At this point I fail to see what's going to pull Target back from going the way of Kmart eventually. What a lot of people don't realize is that Kmart used to be a nice place to shop and were fully staffed (and even had more locations than Target has now...) but once they started losing money and it started to spiral out of control where they had to cut back on staffing and forego remodeling/keeping their stores up to date.

This last year or so has not been kind to ol' spot. First Canada's failure then the quiet Target Ticket failure. Even their successes like Cartwheel are getting overshadowed by Walmart's Savings Catcher app. Even at a time when consumer spending is on the rebound, Target is struggling. I'm not really sure where they're going to turn things around, there doesn't seem to be anything big on the horizon that'll save them. The only "new" things they're even trying now are City Target and TargetExpress. After spending the last 10 years trying to build up their stores as one "super" stop now they're doing a complete about face and going in the other direction. Now, instead of competing with Walmart they're going to try and copy the success of the CVS and Walgreens juggernauts with TargetExpress, please, they're out of their league and out of their minds if they think they're gonna be a legitimate player in that market. But hey, might as well throw more money down a hole trying to figure out who you are by copying others...

I can see alot of people jumping ship and going to wal-mart ( at least at my store) I don't think target would ever raise the wages to 10.00

Last edited:
$10 seems to be the new mark for companies to hit for good PR and decent employees. Why start working at target when you can go to evil walmart and earn more? It's amazing how target has been able to keep their low wages under wraps, only gawker seemed to occasionally report on their union busting. Guess nice looking fonts from the marketing team that say target offers a "competitive wage" have kept everyone believing that.

What I'm worried about is how target's failure will affect the twin cities. They are a major employer here, not just in the stores but also in the corporate HQ downtown. They have a responsibility to keep the company doing well and eventually their road to cost cutting and failure will cost this area thousands of jobs. Disgusting greed. Looks like the new CEO isn't going to be able to use his "skills" in turning around companies to fix this one. Maybe it was too far gone once he got in, or maybe he is currently drunk on koolaid, not able to do anything.

Omg. They said they were also gonna work to make the schedules more predictable along with their wage increase. Like, pay and schedule inconsistency are two of my largest complaints about target. Listen, if Walmart was on the bus route, I would be filling out the application right now.

WalMart also gives out bonuses... not much, but better than the big fat 0 Target gives.
I work with a TM that said she used to get a bonus from Target. That was a loooooong ass time ago though.

I've never ever wanted to work for Walmart, but this entire post is making it seem a wee bit more likable. I live like 2 minutes away from one compared to the 15 minute commute I make for Target. I don't know if I could deal with Walmart people though.

I guess Walmart got tired of Black Friday strikes and efforts to unionize them on a constant basis.
Everybody said, it's a waste of time to go up against Walmart.

I'd like to raise a glass to all those people who stood out in the cold with signs on Black Friday, to all the people who poked and prodded at Walmart.
You guys made a difference and I thank you.

Now lets see if Spot can take some prodding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back