Warehouse DC Policy

Is there a team member handbook for Warehouse Policies? The base team member handbook doesn't go over in specifics how warehouse DC's should be run policy wise just a couple of general listings. My current reason for this is to check what kind of vests are required or approved for wear in a DC setting. Certain Team Leads are asking me to wear breakaway vest while other OM's are split down the middle in saying its required and some saying it isn't as long as I have a reflective vest on which I do wear it just happens to be a custom vest that I've owned. I wear my custom vest for pockets mostly and the designs are just a plus that makes me stick out in warehouse, instead of looking like another team member in a sea of orange team members.

Attachments

• 515hlzodnuL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    515hlzodnuL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2021-08-02 035745.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-02 035745.png
    484 KB · Views: 6
Ik that they changed policy a year or so ago that they use break a way vests so that you don’t get caught in rollers.

sounds like you are a new tm. This seems like a silly battle to have and will only make enemy’s for yourself. Making a big deal about this will only shorten your employment at spot.

I’m sure it’s on workday somewhere. My understanding is that inside the building vests have to be breakaway, in the trailer yard they have to be reflective.
Both rules were brought on by deaths IIRC, so I’m pretty sure they’re not going to bend on them.

Ik that they changed policy a year or so ago that they use break a way vests so that you don’t get caught in rollers.

sounds like you are a new tm. This seems like a silly battle to have and will only make enemy’s for yourself. Making a big deal about this will only shorten your employment at spot.
So lets get back to the topic at hand, you said they changed the policy a year ago can you provide that policy? Yes I hear some people say its policy but no one has shown that it is. Just sounds like some word of mouth that everyone likes to say.

You are required to wear a breakaway vest. ALL VESTS worn in the DC are required to be breakaway or tearaway. Even the leader and TSS vests are tear or breakaway.

There is no room for negotiation on this. Especially as you may be near conveyors after the death that happened in Texas. Failure to follow safety policies can and will lead to termination.

Safety policies on things such as vests will not be listed in the handbook. The only thing would be wearing appropriate PPE. As your vest is not appropriate PPE for the business it will NOT be allowed. Trying to argue this is a dumb way to get a swift kick out the door.

I've been at Target for almost a decade from TM to OM. And from experience I'm telling you let it go, wear the orange vest for your 90 days and be done with it.

You are required to wear a breakaway vest. ALL VESTS worn in the DC are required to be breakaway or tearaway. Even the leader and TSS vests are tear or breakaway.

There is no room for negotiation on this. Especially as you may be near conveyors after the death that happened in Texas. Failure to follow safety policies can and will lead to termination.

Safety policies on things such as vests will not be listed in the handbook. The only thing would be wearing appropriate PPE. As your vest is not appropriate PPE for the business it will NOT be allowed. Trying to argue this is a dumb way to get a swift kick out the door.

I've been at Target for almost a decade from TM to OM. And from experience I'm telling you let it go, wear the orange vest for your 90 days and be done with it.
Actually leadership in my facility don't wear breakaway vests. I made sure to go up to them and check they have zipper along the front of the vest and the top portion for the the shoulder has a walkie holder. Nothing tear away there. So everyone is still yelling policy on the spot but no one has anything written down. If this policy is word of mouth so be it but still get yourself in gear as an OM and provide that policy handbook that DC's follow.

I just told you there is no policy in the handbooks. It would only list wearing appropriate ppe. WHICH WOULD INCLUDE WEARING THE VEST. Your leaders' vests should look similar to this. The leader vests are breakway. Velcro on the shoulders and sides. 20210802_082137.jpg

Idk why you feel the need to prove this point that your vest is better. The other reason behind wearing the orange vest is to make you easily identifiable as a new hire.

Once again this is not a fight you win. It's really dumb reason to lose your job over deciding not to wear an orange vest during your probation. The time when you need to prove to your leaders that they should want to keep you.

We don't have just one color to identify new hires theres the standard green and orange for everyone in the PPE machine. Don't know why your saying this as if one color is enforced. Quick side note does that zipper breakaway from the vest? Also if the purpose of the vest is differentiate TM and OM why do leads wear a standard green or orange vest instead of a vest with a different color pattern such as the red strips for OM's. On an ending note if all you guys are asking is for a breakaway vests why does my color matter to you? Not even my OM's care about the color.

Yes it does. There is Velcro on both sides of the zipper.

It is not to differentiate TM to OM. It's to differentiate NHs from Vets. Trainers, OMs, Leads need to be able to identify NHs quickly. It says "I'm new so I may need extra attention and help". I only said orange because you mentioned in your post about being in a sea of orange vests.

The leader vests are specifically so people can say "That's who I can go to if I have questions or need help."

Also there is documentation on the vests. However, when they roll it out to each building it has their building number on it. I will not be posting mine because of it. Orange

Speak to your training OM or Safety Manager. They will have it.

Second the vests, gloves and blades and all other equipment had been chosen because it conforms to the standards Target puts in place because horrible stuff has and will happen. If they allow one person an exception than they have to allow everyone an exception. And then Texas happens again and gets seriously injured or dies because someone wanted to wear a different vest and it didn't meet standards.

It sounds dramatic but I've seen serious injuries happen in my building because one person goes off process. I've had to sit on network calls because someone crushed a limb in another building and then had to explain that to my team that one person wasn't paying attention to a NH. Or thought they knew what they were more experienced because they didn't have their vest on.

Just wear the provided vest. It takes 3 months and you're done. For your sake and the rest of the buildings.

Your orange vest isn't intended for you to stand out among all the other vests, it's intended to let me know you are new to the function you are in.

We have a guy that's been with target for 10 years having to wear an orange vest for 90 days because he's never operated the equipment we use before. It's not about seniority or you feeling special. It's to let every other team member know that you might not be use to your current role or equipment and to be extra cautious while working/operating near you.

It's obvious you're trying to find anyone to agree with you and argue when they don't.

I'm all for stop work authority and putting my foot down when I'm asked to do something truly unsafe. But you are, in my opinion, picking the wrong hill to die on.

Alright you guys are making your vest policy clear by word of mouth alone and swearing up and down to back it till you go. Regardless of that I still need someone to provide me with a policy handbook that has the most recent updated version. I've asked for OM's and no one can find it. HR pretty much dips out the building earlier then the time they list.

Alright you guys are making your vest policy clear by word of mouth alone and swearing up and down to back it till you go. Regardless of that I still need someone to provide me with a policy handbook that has the most recent updated version. I've asked for OM's and no one can find it. HR pretty much dips out the building earlier then the time they list.
Check with a safety person. Just wear the vest & be safe.

Just out of curiosity, what about the provided vests is a problem for you?
What makes the vest you want to wear so good that you want to play lawyer in order to wear it?
Even if you risk alienating your supervisors by doing it.

We had a company that wanted to make one of our deaf clients wear a vest that said DEAF in big letters.
We raised hell on that one and it didn't happen.
I don't see this being in any way worth the same kind of effort.

I just wish we had the option of a hi viz shirt instead of a vest. It gets hot here, so on 100-110+ degree days, an extra layer makes it even more miserable in the DC.

Just out of curiosity, what about the provided vests is a problem for you?
What makes the vest you want to wear so good that you want to play lawyer in order to wear it?
Even if you risk alienating your supervisors by doing it.

We had a company that wanted to make one of our deaf clients wear a vest that said DEAF in big letters.
We raised hell on that one and it didn't happen.
I don't see this being in any way worth the same kind of effort.
I've just read through the DC non exempt and exempt handbook and the only thing mentioning breakaway was the lanyard. Nothing in code of ethics says anything about vests either. I've talked with HR today and they said they will look into that specific policy on our next shift and see if the guidelines match up. My point is when OM's or Leads make up policies on the spot that cater to them when they feel like it. I have to tell OM's to back away from my PIT equipment when it's operational. I need to remind them when we're on the floor to wear their gloves. Don't use policy when it caters to you and not abide by it when its used on you. That's like recording a cop and he tries to tell you its illegal when its obviously not. The OM further up kept referring to a policy with no proof it exists, if this is a common sense run of the mill policy why can't it be provided when asked? I get tired of abuse of power on other subjects and this small inconvenience towards OM's I don't care about trying to enforce a policy that really doesn't need to be enforced is beyond comical. My E&F team certainly doesn't abide by the vest policy and they could give a damn about and they work next to the belt enough times that they "should" wear it.

Please wear the vest spot gives you. If you get hurt in an accident while wearing your own vest, spot can denied paying workman comp. because you did not wear spot supplied vest. Also, you can check on the safety polices on the ppe with your safety person. You did sign on your application to follow safety procedures at spot.
From @Hal post.
Second the vests, gloves and blades and all other equipment had been chosen because it conforms to the standards Target puts in place because horrible stuff has and will happen. If they allow one person an exception than they have to allow everyone an exception. And then Texas happens again and gets seriously injured or dies because someone wanted to wear a different vest and it didn't meet standards.

At a spot dc in Texas:

Target Employee Dies After Getting Caught in Machinery Inside Freezer: Police​

By Holley Ford • Published August 12, 2019 • Updated on August 12, 2019 at 10:44 pm​

A man is dead after being caught in machinery inside a large freezer at a Target Distribution Center in Denton, police say.
Matthew Sopcic, 34, was working at the center on Airport Road last Friday when he apparently got caught in the machinery. The machine had an conveyor belt.

Last edited:
Was that due to a non-approved safety vest or wearing a hoodie? Because I’ve heard this incident used as reasoning for both “policies” now. Unless there was another different one?

I've just read through the DC non exempt and exempt handbook and the only thing mentioning breakaway was the lanyard. Nothing in code of ethics says anything about vests either. I've talked with HR today and they said they will look into that specific policy on our next shift and see if the guidelines match up. My point is when OM's or Leads make up policies on the spot that cater to them when they feel like it. I have to tell OM's to back away from my PIT equipment when it's operational. I need to remind them when we're on the floor to wear their gloves. Don't use policy when it caters to you and not abide by it when its used on you. That's like recording a cop and he tries to tell you its illegal when its obviously not. The OM further up kept referring to a policy with no proof it exists, if this is a common sense run of the mill policy why can't it be provided when asked? I get tired of abuse of power on other subjects and this small inconvenience towards OM's I don't care about trying to enforce a policy that really doesn't need to be enforced is beyond comical. My E&F team certainly doesn't abide by the vest policy and they could give a damn about and they work next to the belt enough times that they "should" wear it.

I agree with many of your points, from the supervisors making up policy to them not being consistent.
But you didn't answer my questions.
Why are the provided vests a problem?
What makes your vest better?
Why is this the hill you want to die on?

Don't get me wrong, there are times when the principle of a very small thing can get under my skin as well.
But more often than not it is best to pick your battles for the things that really matter and will make a large difference in the future.

The breakaway aspect is 100% BS on their part. You can wear an ordinary vest no problem (provided no hood). And vendors wear their own into the building all the time.
There is no reason you c

Just wear your own vest and if they bring it up again tell them its to keep you warm and a fashion item.
Throw a Supreme sticker on it to really sell it.
Just make sure you are wearing the target issues vest on top of it. Grab the small fishnet one.
Do that for a few days and I am willing to bet they will get the hint and leave you alone.
If they continue to bug you come in the next day wearing a (no hood) sweater vest with a zipper. Jist find the cheapest one you can.
And make sure to go up to every leader that harassed you and ask them if the sweater vest (with no hood) is allowed or if it needs to be "breakaway" just in case too.

Just wear your own vest and if they bring it up again tell them its to keep you warm and a fashion item.
Throw a Supreme sticker on it to really sell it.
Just make sure you are wearing the target issues vest on top of it. Grab the small fishnet one.
Do that for a few days and I am willing to bet they will get the hint and leave you alone.
If they continue to bug you come in the next day wearing a (no hood) sweater vest with a zipper. Jist find the cheapest one you can.
And make sure to go up to every leader that harassed you and ask them if the sweater vest (with no hood) is allowed or if it needs to be "breakaway" just in case too.
That's the thing though if I wear my vest and their vest they could give 2 shits about the safety of the vest. Also what makes my vest "better" is Pockets and a pretty slick design on the front and back. Obviously there's nothing wrong with the vest given I just don't see the point in wearing it if I'm wearing a OSHA certified vest. Our conveyers cant even give me a skid mark let alone pull me where I don't want to go. The whole why do I want to die on that hill spiel is over dramatic at best, but my reasoning stands that since I've worked here so far I've been disrespected by 2 leads who only have 5 months combined here and a OM who will believe them when they say I give them tone but not the other way around. None of this started until after I had problems with "Leads". They should make leads go into employee relations classes.

And since I'm positive about my side and I've more confidence since reading the handbook and talking to HR I'm in route to buying my next set of custom attire for this warehouse.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-03 162447.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-03 162447.png
    315.3 KB · Views: 18
That's the thing though if I wear my vest and their vest they could give 2 shits about the safety of the vest. Also what makes my vest "better" is Pockets and a pretty slick design on the front and back. Obviously there's nothing wrong with the vest given I just don't see the point in wearing it if I'm wearing a OSHA certified vest. Our conveyers cant even give me a skid mark let alone pull me where I don't want to go. The whole why do I want to die on that hill spiel is over dramatic at best, but my reasoning stands that since I've worked here so far I've been disrespected by 2 leads who only have 5 months combined here and a OM who will believe them when they say I give them tone but not the other way around. None of this started until after I had problems with "Leads". They should make leads go into employee relations classes.

Good luck man.
Just don't be surprised if you get performanced out.
Bosses don't take well to being proven wrong.
I found that out the hard way by winning an ADA case.
They will get rid of you if you piss them off enough and they will do it by the book

Even a good lawyer will have a rough time beating them.
Like I said, good luck.

@Valkyri, we are the internet, not your dc. Spot will decide your vest is good or not. Spot gives something to you, I would take it. No cost out of my pocket.

Last edited:
Back