Archived Weekends only unreasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New here, apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum. Anyway, I’ve been at Target for nearly two years now, working during the Summer and Fall months when classes are out and taking an educational leave when they aren’t. No NCNS and one tardiness. I’m in the demanding major of medicine, and this upcoming semester is about to be brutal. Our professors decided to bless us with summer classes to take some of the load off in the Fall, and that’ll start up in July.

My question is, is working weekends only unreasonable? It’s when we’re busiest. My store is short staffed as is, but they work fine without me in my LOA. I guess I just feel bad, but my education takes priority. Though I am worried. Can they fire me for this? May be a silly question, but I am concerned. Target pays well, but my minimum of 20 hours a week is more like steady 35, and I can’t keep at it anymore. Send help

There have been people in my store who worked only weekends. Target is already flexible. Doesn't hurt to ask at all. Of course, they have no obligation to accomidate you though. Worth a shot.

I wish they'd hire more weekend only tm's so that they could schedule others on weekdays only and not continue to harass them to open their availability (for which they won't be scheduled anyhow)

There have been people in my store who worked only weekends. Target is already flexible. Doesn't hurt to ask at all. Of course, they have no obligation to accomidate you though. Worth a shot.

True. There are others who are weekend only at my store as well, but I don’t want to be the first to get denied and have my job at risk. That’d be embarrassing on top of a few other things.

I wish they'd hire more weekend only tm's so that they could schedule others on weekdays only and not continue to harass them to open their availability (for which they won't be scheduled anyhow)

I hope this is the case for my store. Although we have had a couple team members, myself included, complain about straight nine day works days. So I don’t know.

Team with your TL and ETL. Explain its school reasons.

Back in 2000, I started Full Availability in the Summer. At the start of school, I dropped to Friday nights and Saturdays+Sundays due to classes and outside lab work.

In theory that sounds great and may work at some stores. It doesn't work at my store at all. The TMs working weekends only start to get antsy b/c they're scheduled EVERY weekend (no sh*t). Then they start requesting every other weekend off, especially near the end of the school year/beginning of summer. When they realize that's not gonna fly, they quit. I don't hire weekends only any more.

My store currently refuses to hire any seasonal who can't work Saturdays and Sundays. So I'd bet going to weekends only would be fine as long as you can do full shifts on those days and not expect time off.

Yeah my store requires you work atleast one weekend day so I doubt they would be mad if you're available only on weekends. I started with full open availability but had to change some things due to life and they've always worked with me especially since I kept weekends open. Good luck!

In theory that sounds great and may work at some stores. It doesn't work at my store at all. The TMs working weekends only start to get antsy b/c they're scheduled EVERY weekend (no sh*t). Then they start requesting every other weekend off, especially near the end of the school year/beginning of summer. When they realize that's not gonna fly, they quit. I don't hire weekends only any more.

I've worked every weekend for two years in my time at Target. It's annoying, and I don't particularly like it, but it's what I signed up for, and I've yet to call out or request off. I'm sorry that happened at your store though as I know that's hard on a team.
My store currently refuses to hire any seasonal who can't work Saturdays and Sundays. So I'd bet going to weekends only would be fine as long as you can do full shifts on those days and not expect time off.

This is my store as well. I was told that my weekends always needed to be open, Friday's included, if I wanted to be hired. I work closing shifts, so I don't know if that'll play into effect or not.

If you are available on weekends, you would be golden at my store. We have more call outs on Saturdays and Sundays than any other days. With all of the hour trimming that continues to happen, there really isn't any reason to have ALL TMs available every weekend. I think people tend to call off more when scheduled these little 4 and 5 hour shifts...."after all, what's a few hour gap in coverage or a few hours missing from my paycheck" is what I hear from other TMs.

I think if TMs were scheduled a shift that hurt more financially when they called out and were given regular time off on the weekends, there would be less call offs, period. Most weekends we do not need every TM to be scheduled or available.

Working every weekend sounds fine until you don't get a single day off for months on end, then it starts to drag. Hard thing to realize until you've been doing it for awhile. My store doesn't require everyone to work at least one weekend day. Most people who have open availability work every other weekend, both days. I work 3 days a week, usually Saturday, Sunday & usually Wednesdays, but I get a Saturday off every few weeks or so. It's a tradeoff--it's nice to have a full day off, but it's also nice not to have to work 14 hours between two jobs and lose sleep because I can't fall asleep quickly after getting home at night.

If your max availability is 20 hours and they're scheduling you for 35, that's definitely a convo you should be having with HR/your ETL.

."after all, what's a few hour gap in coverage or a few hours missing from my paycheck" is what I hear from other TMs.

Pretty fucking shitty for those left working, particularly when half of you lazy assholes take the same view leaving the rest of us to pick up the slack. (ETA, by "you" I mean the "TMs" that say that shit, not you PassinTime. Unless you are someone who does that... )

Pretty fucking shitty for those left working, particularly when half of you lazy assholes take the same view leaving the rest of us to pick up the slack. (ETA, by "you" I mean the "TMs" that say that shit, not you PassinTime. Unless you are someone who does that... )

Nope, not me. Never called off, never been late. Just one of those TMs that gets stuck picking up the slack, gets my shift extended, etc. Doesn't really bother me either, do what I can... As a non leadership position, it's not my pay grade to worry about it. Just do my best with the resources available.

I work saturdays only. It can work if you’re a good TM but leaders may be hesitant to hire a newbie for it. I don’t see it being a problem

Not sure why it would be an issue. They were more than accommodating when I had to change my availability to nights and weekends, they even kept me on as an Electronics TM. The only issue is that it does get tiring after a while because you’ll always be scheduled. The person who makes my schedule doesn’t check for time off requests as often as they should, so when I want a Saturday or Sunday off, it doesn’t always happen but, yeah, they shouldn’t have an issue with you just working weekends.

I work saturdays only. It can work if you’re a good TM but leaders may be hesitant to hire a newbie for it. I don’t see it being a problem
I've seen new people take on just weekends. Their issue is if you say you can't work weekends at all because not being able to work weekends in retail just isn't realistic.

There's a GSA at my store working exclusively Fri-Sunday only for college, I think she's back on a regular schedule now since school is out.

Target would never hire a Sat-Sun newbie, but I'm pretty sure if you're a veteran TM and have good relations with the store you will be allowed to do that switch pending it gets accepted. Just get in touch with your HR team and team leader/ETL for your area and let them know that's something you want to do or would rather do.

Yeah, I've been trying to get on a rotating weekend schedule and it's next to impossible for regular TMs. The veteran PAs at my store get rotating weekends, but the GSA's don't.

My store wouldn't allow it unless you had a solid relationship with your TL, ETL or STL.

I would gladly hire a Sat/Sun only newbie

If it means giving another TM a very deserving rotating weekends off schedule, I'm down. They'd have to be uber qualified though... but how qualified can you get when working in retail?

joke: requesting weekends off
woke: being on call for the weekend to replace callouts
bespoke: always being scheduled for the weekend because nobody else will take it

I've seen new people take on just weekends. Their issue is if you say you can't work weekends at all because not being able to work weekends in retail just isn't realistic.

The new (at least at my store) help wanted flyers offer weekend only positions.

joke: requesting weekends off
woke: being on call for the weekend to replace callouts
bespoke: always being scheduled for the weekend because nobody else will take it
even more so is never being scheduled for the weekend because they want to limit your hours but there’s always so many callouts that they end up calling you in every time anyway ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back