Archived Welfare abuser stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I had a guest complain about her two baking sodas ($0.82 each) not being covered by her SNAP card. She said that she "shouldn't have to pay for them," and that "every other store takes my food stamps." GSA denied the override and she left the baking sodas.

Now this would not be so outrageous if she and her husband had not purchased a $279 Samsung 40" TV at Electronics before coming to my register.

It is this entitlement mentality that stigmatizes people on benefits who really need them, and a waste of taxpayer money for people who claim benefits who really don't need them.

Any other welfare abuser stories?

I don't understand why baking soda isn't covered by EBT. I would have put through the override.

Had a wealthy socialite complain that she had to 'pay extra' for the soy in her latte.
Woman was dripping diamonds, carrying a designer bag & she's kvetching over .60.

Last night I had a guest complain about her two baking sodas ($0.82 each) not being covered by her SNAP card. She said that she "shouldn't have to pay for them," and that "every other store takes my food stamps." GSA denied the override and she left the baking sodas.

Now this would not be so outrageous if she and her husband had not purchased a $279 Samsung 40" TV at Electronics before coming to my register.

It is this entitlement mentality that stigmatizes people on benefits who really need them, and a waste of taxpayer money for people who claim benefits who really don't need them.

Any other welfare abuser stories?
At my store the $0.82 baking soda is the fridge and freezer one and is located in chemicals the one in market is actually cheaper and I know for a fact that soda is an snap eligible item so maybe because the fridge and freezer one is not for consumption it's not eligible.

we have no control over what's ebt eligible.. we accept ebt, but that doesn't mean we honor items that others do. we accept what's reimbursed.

You don't know the situation behind the tv, and what lead to them buying one that night. It doesn't mean they are abusing the system..it just means you are jumping to conclusions.
Because a tv is mot a necessity. They dould have easily gotten a cheaper tv, and payed the $1.64. There are both sides to the story.

Maybe it was a gift? Or maybe they saved up and did some reaserch, so the new TV would not break in three months? You don't know the story.

You want to be mad at welfare abuse? Be mad at corporate welfare we give millions to companies that are already making millions.

And maybe they were given money by a relative or friend to buy the television.
You don't know their story or walked a mile in their shoes.
I'd be happy to toss out the statistics of how there is only a 2% case of EBT fraud or how the people who use them are often working and supporting children (some of them at Target).

But I will keep it personal.
When I was hit by a car and was in a partial body cast for months, we went from lower middle class to working poor.
Food stamps and the food bank was the only thing that kept food enough food on the table even with my wife working.
Until you've been staring at the items in your cart, totaled out to the penny in your mind, with the stack of coupons in your hand, knowing that they will use up everything you get for the month and will only last for maybe three weeks, I suggest you not judge.

You don't know the situation behind the tv, and what lead to them buying one that night. It doesn't mean they are abusing the system..it just means you are jumping to conclusions.
Because a tv is mot a necessity. They dould have easily gotten a cheaper tv, and payed the $1.64. There are both sides to the story.

Maybe it was a gift? Or maybe they saved up and did some reaserch, so the new TV would not break in three months? You don't know the story.

You want to be mad at welfare abuse? Be mad at corporate welfare we give millions to companies that are already making millions.

QFT! Maybe they have an autistic child who needs that tv in the home to keep them calm. I could find a million reasons.

Here's the thing...I have quite a few coworkers on SNAP. That doesn't mean they are abusing the system. It means Spot pays too little. And I would never in a million years think to question what they buy. So why would I start doing that for perfect strangers?

QFT! Maybe they have an autistic child who needs that tv in the home to keep them calm. I could find a million reasons.

Here's the thing...I have quite a few coworkers on SNAP. That doesn't mean they are abusing the system. It means Spot pays too little. And I would never in a million years think to question what they buy. So why would I start doing that for perfect strangers?

So then, this begs the question, what do you do when a cashier has an issue with items not being covered by SNAP?

Buying more expensive brands do not mean they last longer. I could get a cheaper tv, that fits the budget better, and get a replacement plan.

I remember a piece that a woman wrote whose husband had left her and she was taking care of three kids on a clerks job.
She was using food stamps and in the article she said it felt like having to go shopping with someone you owed money to.
Somebody was judging everything you bought the minute you used that card to pay for them.

I'd like to point out to anybody who would like to judge, it is literally a nickle from your taxes that goes towards the food stamp program.
So if you want to begrudge that .05 to your coworker who is trying to take care of their kids, if you want to decide what kind of blender they should buy, I'm sorry for you.

I don't see how anyone in this forum who is the main breadwinner of their household can turn their nose up at people using government assistance. I guarantee you every single one of us has whether it was for SNAP, welfare, WIC or whether it was student financial aid, FEMA or tax credits given to people making below a certain wage. How dare you try to judge people and force your own skewed view of how they use that money. The fact is that the amount of welfare/EBT fraud is a tiny percentage of the total budget of those programs and is significantly less than the amount of taxes dodged by large corporations and their vastly overpaid CEOs. If you want to be upset about our government having a funding crisis, how about your start by holding the wealthy accountable to pay their fucking share rather than kick someone when they are already down.

I was disgusted by the title of this forum but the responses are honestly phenomenal. I hate when people complain about "welfare abuse" and it literally just ends up being about one time a poor person had something nice. Poor people can have things I think it's absolutely ridiculous that some people expect people on assistance to live without anything that isn't absolutely necessary.

Stay on target...Stay On Target...THREAD DERAILED!!!

In all seriousness the most effective solution to low wages would be to have more employee owned companies. At most companies like target the investors are the ones that matter, their profits go above everything else. If you make the investors the employees, the company will treat them extremely well. WinCo grocery stores have millionaire cashiers that have been working at the company for years. You get loyal employees who are compensated fairly for the profit they bring the company, which is a lot more than the $8/hr most team members are paid now.

I really can't believe the amount of assumptions you're making here.
Like the other posters have said, we don't know if that was even their money that they bought that TV with. But I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a second and assume it was their money.
A $279 TV isn't even expensive. Sure, it's not a neccessity, but do you really think that everyone on benefits is spending every last cent they have on necessities?
You have no idea how they organize their bills. And you're jumping to massive conclusions here to assume that just because they're on benefits, they're too poor to afford a TV.

It's target and their damned departments. Candy from the regular aisle is covered, but seasonal candy is not. Makes me cry every holiday when people can't afford Easter candy or stocking stuffers for their kids from the pretty holiday themed stuff, cause target doesn't code it to count.

I see this crap all the time in pharmacy....like the 19 year old who bitches every time he comes in for early fills of his benzos and Medicaid denies them because they're too early. Sorry, no, you can't "just pay cash for them," we just gave you a month's worth 2 weeks ago!!! Or the 35 year old with 3 kids by 2 different men who comes in with a new piercing or tattoo every other month who was bragging about her new "tricked out ride," courtesy of "baby daddy" #2!:rolleyes:

It's target and their damned departments. Candy from the regular aisle is covered, but seasonal candy is not. Makes me cry every holiday when people can't afford Easter candy or stocking stuffers for their kids from the pretty holiday themed stuff, cause target doesn't code it to count.
I've never had seasonal candy denied, in fact it was like 3 Christmas' ago that saved Christmas for the kids. Deadbeat ex, hey, at least they got stockings full of candy instead of empty ones.

I hoard my cash and allow myself treats with it. Because, you know, my grandma wanted me to buy myself something with it not use it for food. Except this birthday it paid bills :(

Don't judge OP, you have no clue....

Buying more expensive brands do not mean they last longer. I could get a cheaper tv, that fits the budget better, and get a replacement plan.

You know the replacement plans are basically a rip off right? They are almost 100% profit on the seller's end which is why every electronics store makes their employees shove them down our throats.

I've never had seasonal candy denied, in fact it was like 3 Christmas' ago that saved Christmas for the kids. Deadbeat ex, hey, at least they got stockings full of candy instead of empty ones.

I hoard my cash and allow myself treats with it. Because, you know, my grandma wanted me to buy myself something with it not use it for food. Except this birthday it paid bills :(

Don't judge OP, you have no clue....
Chocolate bunnies every Easter....maybe it differs by state?

"Welfare abuse" is a myth.
clearly you have never been to my neck of the woods, we see them all the time, and I live next door to several of them. Im not saying that all who are on the system are milking it, I know many who genuinely need the help. but when your toting 6 kids who all look slightly different and you have another one on the way and your using your card on lobster tails, yes lobster tails, then I draw the line.

Last edited:
Stay on target...Stay On Target...THREAD DERAILED!!!

1599814_o.gif

This IS the GIF you are looking for:
44ae2003_bth_threadderailedsu2.gif

(Sorry, I couldn't help it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back