Archived Welfare abuser stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Welfare abuse" is a myth.
clearly you have never been to my neck of the woods, we see them all the time, and I live next door to several of them. Im not saying that all who are on the system are milking it, I know many who genuinely need the help. but when your toting 6 kids who all look slightly different and you have another one on the way and your using your card on lobster tails, yes lobster tails, then I draw the line.

I lived in a trailer court for twenty years.
Seen it all.
I promise you no matter how kids you have, unless you're getting child support from some of those daddies, food stamps ain't going to make it to the end of the month.
Unfortunately I know of a case where someone bought king crab legs and filet mignon with a food card.
It was stolen from his girlfriend and he was going to sell them so he could buy drugs.
That kind of awful shit happens and all you can do is poke him a dozen times with a ski pole until he gives it back (not that I ever did anything like that).

I don't see how anyone in this forum who is the main breadwinner of their household can turn their nose up at people using government assistance. I guarantee you every single one of us has whether it was for SNAP, welfare, WIC or whether it was student financial aid, FEMA or tax credits given to people making below a certain wage. How dare you try to judge people and force your own skewed view of how they use that money. The fact is that the amount of welfare/EBT fraud is a tiny percentage of the total budget of those programs and is significantly less than the amount of taxes dodged by large corporations and their vastly overpaid CEOs. If you want to be upset about our government having a funding crisis, how about your start by holding the wealthy accountable to pay their fucking share rather than kick someone when they are already down.
how about, I don't know......... we hold both accountable.

Buying more expensive brands do not mean they last longer. I could get a cheaper tv, that fits the budget better, and get a replacement plan.

You know the replacement plans are basically a rip off right? They are almost 100% profit on the seller's end which is why every electronics store makes their employees shove them down our throats.
Yes i do know the importance of SRPs. But they do serve a purpose. Electronics go out. How many times have you had a piece of electronics act 100% perfect. The people who deny replacement plans/insurance are the first to complain about being out x dollars. Ive seen it first had people with samsung tvs go out 2 years.down the road, and people throwing a shit storm because we won't replace it. What would you rather pay, $400 for thst 39" tv or pay $45 extra amd have worry free for 3 years.

I don't see how anyone in this forum who is the main breadwinner of their household can turn their nose up at people using government assistance. I guarantee you every single one of us has whether it was for SNAP, welfare, WIC or whether it was student financial aid, FEMA or tax credits given to people making below a certain wage. How dare you try to judge people and force your own skewed view of how they use that money. The fact is that the amount of welfare/EBT fraud is a tiny percentage of the total budget of those programs and is significantly less than the amount of taxes dodged by large corporations and their vastly overpaid CEOs. If you want to be upset about our government having a funding crisis, how about your start by holding the wealthy accountable to pay their fucking share rather than kick someone when they are already down.
how about, I don't know......... we hold both accountable.

Because one would cost more to enforce than it would bring in savings and is a relative drop in the bucket while the other is a significant drain on the federal revenue that hurts every single one of us. The fact is the individuals on welfare and SNAP that are gaming the system are a small percentage and any sort of enforcement mechanisms would exceed the cost of the abuse.

Stay on target...Stay On Target...THREAD DERAILED!!!

1599814_o.gif

This IS the GIF you are looking for:
44ae2003_bth_threadderailedsu2.gif

(Sorry, I couldn't help it.)
Thank you, that was the gif I was looking for...

I had someone buy $80 worth of 70% Halloween Candy using their SNAP card. She also had 2 sodas cases.

Yes i do know the importance of SRPs. But they do serve a purpose. Electronics go out. How many times have you had a piece of electronics act 100% perfect.

About 99% of the time, I have 0 problems with electronic devices. The TV I'm using is one I've had for about 7 years now. The surround sound is about 10 years old. I've installed a car audio system in every vehicle I have ever owned with the only problem I ever had was when I allowed myself to be talked into buying a 4 awg wiring kit for an amp that only had terminal blocks for 8 awg wires (I was only 18 at the time and inexperienced). I have built 4 computer systems with 0 failures. My PS1 that I bought worked for 13 years before I gave it to my niece. My PS2 still works as of 2 months ago (I dig it out occasionally).

The people who deny replacement plans/insurance are the first to complain about being out x dollars. Ive seen it first had people with samsung tvs go out 2 years.down the road, and people throwing a shit storm because we won't replace it. What would you rather pay, $400 for thst 39" tv or pay $45 extra amd have worry free for 3 years.

I have never bought a service plan and never will. I have walked out of a sale before because the clerk wouldn't shut up about it after I politely told him "No" 4 times.

Yes i do know the importance of SRPs. But they do serve a purpose. Electronics go out. How many times have you had a piece of electronics act 100% perfect.

About 99% of the time, I have 0 problems with electronic devices. The TV I'm using is one I've had for about 7 years now. The surround sound is about 10 years old. I've installed a car audio system in every vehicle I have ever owned with the only problem I ever had was when I allowed myself to be talked into buying a 4 awg wiring kit for an amp that only had terminal blocks for 8 awg wires (I was only 18 at the time and inexperienced). I have built 4 computer systems with 0 failures. My PS1 that I bought worked for 13 years before I gave it to my niece. My PS2 still works as of 2 months ago (I dig it out occasionally).

The people who deny replacement plans/insurance are the first to complain about being out x dollars. Ive seen it first had people with samsung tvs go out 2 years.down the road, and people throwing a shit storm because we won't replace it. What would you rather pay, $400 for thst 39" tv or pay $45 extra amd have worry free for 3 years.

I have never bought a service plan and never will. I have walked out of a sale before because the clerk wouldn't shut up about it after I politely told him "No" 4 times.
We still have a PlayStation. Seldom used but it does work.

And I bought a plan for my dslr camera. And insurance for my smartphone. I've got more use from the phone plan, but if I'd needed the camera plan it would have been worth it.

Ok and i hear daily of experiences just the opposite as you. Ive had great luck with products as well, but i rather be safe than sorry. Electronics that were made 10 years ago and the ones made today are completely different. I hear it from everyone that quality of parts has gone down, mainly due to consumers wanting more for less. SRPs keep bringing in money for target and other companies. Without them target electronics would take a hit. As well as others. And well personally I get replacement plans I know about, like at target. Walmart I know nothing they do not get it, even though i stopped shopping their completely.

We still have a PlayStation. Seldom used but it does work.

And I bought a plan for my dslr camera. And insurance for my smartphone. I've got more use from the phone plan, but if I'd needed the camera plan it would have been worth it.
Man the days of good quality parts in equipment. Still have a psx, an original xbox, as well as an old NES. All work great. Got a 2ds last year when pokemon Y came out, 2 months later line of pixels went out, srp came in handy then.

Service plan = if it breaks can I afford to replace it?

That is my first thought, then I go from there. Some I've bought, some not, some have beyond paid for themselves, some not. I'm ahead on dollars spent I think.

Bought the range on at Best Buy.... Darn glass top was replaced twice and the crap burner twice. It isn't working again but I'd have to pay out of pocket so we just don't use that one on the small setting.

Anyway, it's a gamble.

Service plan = I have teenage boys, one broke the screen on his iPod the DAY after I paid to have it fixed because he knocked it off the desk at school in study hall (he was SUPPOSEDLY using the calculator on it) :rolleyes:

Service plan = I have teenage boys, one broke the screen on his iPod the DAY after I paid to have it fixed because he knocked it off the desk at school in study hall (he was SUPPOSEDLY using the calculator on it) :rolleyes:

The one legitimate reason I've seen for getting a plan.

Man the days of good quality parts in equipment. Still have a psx, an original xbox, as well as an old NES. All work great

"Quality parts" is not how I would describe the original NES. The side load design was the entire reason that games wouldn't start correctly 75% of the time. It took 8 years for them to correct that flaw.

SRPs are merely insurance. You get insurance for things that would make probably bankrupt you if it went badly (home, auto, medical, liability, etc) or for things that go badly so often that paying for the insurance is cheaper than paying out of pocket. Considering the cost of an SRP tends to be between 10-20% of the purchase price of the item, I would have to have a 10-20% overall failure rate among all my electronic items for SRPs to pay off. It's only "better safe than sorry" if you're doing something wrong.

Got a 2ds last year when pokemon Y came out, 2 months later line of pixels went out, srp came in handy then.

In that 1 instance, sure but ask yourself this: How much money have you spent on SRPs and how much has it saved you in replacement costs?

My kids get my hand-me-down stuff and similarly outdated handheld consoles. I tell them that once they have proven they can take care of their stuff, then I will consider getting them the latest hot thing. To be fair, I will probably consider a service plan when I do eventually treat them to the newest thing.

My wife always bought bleeding edge tech and would get mad if the sales people asked more than once about protection plans.
Her attitude was that it would probably be outdated by the time it might need to be replaced and if it broke earlier than that the store or her credit cards would cover it.

I have bought two service plans. One for my TV which I didn't use and one for my Playstation 3 which I used due to a hard drive failure. I believe I spent roughly $70 total on the two service plans and the PS3 was still retailing for $299 when it was replaced. That's a win.

Man the days of good quality parts in equipment. Still have a psx, an original xbox, as well as an old NES. All work great

"Quality parts" is not how I would describe the original NES. The side load design was the entire reason that games wouldn't start correctly 75% of the time. It took 8 years for them to correct that flaw.

SRPs are merely insurance. You get insurance for things that would make probably bankrupt you if it went badly (home, auto, medical, liability, etc) or for things that go badly so often that paying for the insurance is cheaper than paying out of pocket. Considering the cost of an SRP tends to be between 10-20% of the purchase price of the item, I would have to have a 10-20% overall failure rate among all my electronic items for SRPs to pay off. It's only "better safe than sorry" if you're doing something wrong.

Got a 2ds last year when pokemon Y came out, 2 months later line of pixels went out, srp came in handy then.

In that 1 instance, sure but ask yourself this: How much money have you spent on SRPs and how much has it saved you in replacement costs?

My kids get my hand-me-down stuff and similarly outdated handheld consoles. I tell them that once they have proven they can take care of their stuff, then I will consider getting them the latest hot thing. To be fair, I will probably consider a service plan when I do eventually treat them to the newest thing.
The replacement plan for the 2ds paid off for any others I havent used. Maybe not the NES having quality parts but the newer items are having alot more breakdown than you think.

Given your statement about an SRP being insurance, that is true in ine way, but it is very dirt cheap,one time cost, with no deductible. Those who have credit cards that cover items pay for it in fees and interest, and there is very fine print on those things.

I have bought two service plans. One for my TV which I didn't use and one for my Playstation 3 which I used due to a hard drive failure. I believe I spent roughly $70 total on the two service plans and the PS3 was still retailing for $299 when it was replaced. That's a win.

Would the repair have been covered by the Sony's warranty (up to 1 year past purchase) and was the cost of the plan less than the cost of a 2.5" SATA HDD? PS3s are designed to be able to change the hard drive without breaking the warranty seal. To be fair, there is a convenience factor from being able to just take it to the store and swap it out rather than ship it off and wait for repairs.

Given your statement about an SRP being insurance, that is true in ine way, but it is very dirt cheap,one time cost, with no deductible.

I don't consider adding an additional $30 to a $200 purchase for insurance to be dirt cheap. If the product is so unreliable that I have to worry about it breaking within 2-3 years, I don't buy it. I don't buy cutting edge gadgets/hardware because I know that hype and rushing to meet deadlines often results in shitty products (See AC:Unity for a gaming example). I wait a while so I can research exactly what items aren't having issues with breakdowns.

I bought it on the ice maker I bought - a FB friend has the same thing and while she loved it, it had a high rate of failure and she has used her plan on hers.

I had all the injectors in my car replaced under one, along with a variety of other stuff - that one we came out wayyyyy ahead on.

Apple ended up doing a boat load of replacements to my laptop at the 3 year 6 month mark. There were other issues that I had someone working with me on it, but again, that $160 plan more than was recouped when they decided to replace the logic board. They have been known to just replace peoples laptop - with a NEW model if the repairs exceed a threshold.

Sure it is a gamble/insurance. But if you aren't using a CC that lengthens your warranty, and you had to save up for the purchase - that insurance can pay off. I"m realistic about my finances - I know what I will and will not be able to replace if it breaks. We have a lot of lightening zaps here - ones that cover that damage are great.

Like I said, I weigh it at the time of purchase. I did not purchase Apple Care+ on my iPhone 6. The screen replacements were cheap enough in the store - and I'm comfy with chancing another type of failure after the years is up.
I"ll get it on the laptop i'm ordering for my daughter with her scholarship funds, but didn't get it on my $230 cheap Dell, and will probably skip it on the iPad for the same kid.

::shrug:: everyone's needs are different.... I do miss the employee cost on them at Best Buy. That was nice!

It WAS a hand-me-down. Granted, the screen was cracked when he got it, but he totally annihilated it so I finally agreed to get it repaired (plus I found a Groupon for a local place so it wasn't terribly expensive ;)) He wants a newer one, but I told him he has to keep this one intact for at least a year before I will even CONSIDER it :cool:
Oh, and I made HIM pay for the 2nd screen repair (which happened when it got knocked off the desk....didn't really make that clear in the first post....never really got the "real" story about how the screen got totally destroyed, but I made him use it until it basically stopped working) ;)

Target has full control about what they accept as EBT eligible in the computer system. Occasionally they mess it up and the GSTL/GSA should override it when it makes sense because it is HQ fault.
The whole mentality that people on EBT don't deserve the good things in life is horrible. For all you know the only entertainment they get is television, besides maybe someone, like their elderly mother had them pick it up for them.
Point is - the customer was correct. Just because the computer said they were wrong and you beleived the computer over the customer when you dont know jack about EBT shows ignorance.

Target has full control about what they accept as EBT eligible in the computer system. Occasionally they mess it up and the GSTL/GSA should override it when it makes sense because it is HQ fault.
The whole mentality that people on EBT don't deserve the good things in life is horrible. For all you know the only entertainment they get is television, besides maybe someone, like their elderly mother had them pick it up for them.
Point is - the customer was correct. Just because the computer said they were wrong and you beleived the computer over the customer when you dont know jack about EBT shows ignorance.
A normal cashier can override what's EBT eligible. There is a prompt when they swipe their card if they have any non EBT items, or you could go into tax/item info and change it to foodstampable before you get to the total screen. I did this one time when some meat wouldn't scan and I used no barcode, which by default isn't eligible. I changed it after the woman gave me a confused look when I told her that I'd need more money. It's WIC stuff that needs a supervisor override.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back