Archived Welfare abuser stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, aren't we talking about welfare abuse or service plans? The plans are not covered by ebt.

The SRP thing was just a derail from the original topic.

Back on topic, baking soda is usually covered by EBT so it was probably a mistake. Griping about spending $279 on a TV while being on welfare is a pretty shitty thing to do. For all we know, that $279 is something they saved up to be a major Christmas present for their household. Even if it's not, you have to spend a little cash on luxuries once in a while.

So then, this begs the question, what do you do when a cashier has an issue with items not being covered by SNAP?

I change it any time the item should reasonably be changed IMO. Have had Kraft Mac & Cheese show up as non-EBT in the past, didn't think twice to make their card cover it. The feature is built into the POS for a reason, it's intended to be used when reasonable.

EDIT: Only thing I would even think of buying an extended warranty on would be a laptop. Specifically expensive laptops, They often have very poor ventilation and overheat, which can lead to premature hardware failure. $1,600 laptop is probably worth insuring.

Last edited:
So then, this begs the question, what do you do when a cashier has an issue with items not being covered by SNAP?

I change it any time the item should reasonably be changed IMO. Have had Kraft Mac & Cheese show up as non-EBT in the past, didn't think twice to make their card cover it. The feature is built into the POS for a reason, it's intended to be used when reasonable.

This. Why wouldn't you just do it and move on?

I had a weird one a couple of weeks ago with that buy $50 worth of food and get a free $10 gift card with coupon. Well, the guest only bought food, bought the $50 worth, presented the coupon for the gift card and used her SNAP benefits. The problem is, when the POS uses that coupon, it adds a gift card, and takes off $10 on the order, but wants the guest to pay $10 in cash to cover that gift card that isn't a part of food stamps. So I thought about it, changed the gift card to food stamp eligible, and we all went on our merry way.

My ETL was standing there while I was thinking this through and did this. His response? He wanted to know where I was a half hour earlier when he had the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back