Archived What can you tell me about working at a distribution center

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are always some downers, but i think most are happy with their jobs. As far as departments, its all in opinion. The easiest would be warehousing. As i said before, mostly they just ride around all day and move freight from here to there. Hardest part is just making your daily numbers (cartons per hour). The two hardest departments would be Outbound (which load the trucks) or Inbound (which unload them). Its debatable which is harder between the two. There are people that prefer inbound and outbound over warehousing though just because it is more fast paced and less boring.

And dress code is pretty much what you make of it. Closed toed shoes, and for guys thats about it. You have to wear a shirt of course, but i typically just wear undershirts most of time. Just use common sense

just remember no cut out arm holes in your tank tops for guys, shorts have to be at least mid thigh and closed toe shoes. Hat's are fine, hoodies are not they can obstruct your vision when your running equipment.

and asking me what dept is the best is kinda pointless I've only ever worked 1 dept and 1 role in that Dept.

Most of our Mechanics are happy enough with there jobs, UA's to

damn, i gotta go to a distribution center! sounds like my kind of work

dekalb disturbution center

Was wondering if anyone worked the saturday, sunday, and monday night shift there. Can you tell me how many people work the shift, what the people are like, and what kind of drama goes on there. Are there alot of people hooking up that work together at the center at night? Thanks

yep i've worked the A2 key for about about a year and a half there's probably about 85 people on my key.

Are alot of people quitting there because they don't like the work, and is there alot of soap opera drama, with like people hooking up also?

iceman, sorry didn't notice you were asking specifically about t3806, can't give you accurate answers about that DC since I don't work there. Not sure if anyone on this board does, but you'll find most DC's are similar. You get a much more mature pool of co-workers so theres just not as much drama as in stores. now don't get me wrong there is drama but it's not bad.

Anyone who can help - I will be starting at a Target DC soon as a Group Lead in the Engineering/Facility group. I was wondering if you could tell me anything specific I might need to know about that? Also I am looking into places to live and one of the questions that came to mind was how long of a lunch break is given and is it ok to leave the premises? (I like to go home for a quick lunch if I can - and there is a great apartment 4 minutes away - but there is no sense in paying extra money for the closeness if I can't leave for lunch anyway)

Thanks for your help!

Enswitzer:

Wow a GL on here, I guess I better go hide. Mechanics and UA's are a some what special group to try and lead, it's kinda like herding cats. The vast majority of us know our jobs, and do them. Now like all else we do try and take some advantage of the new guy (that's you), feel free to ask questions we're more than likely going to have more information than you will ever need. You're going to need to find a balance between micro managing and hiding in your office. That 5 minutes we spend BSing with the outgoing shift give us a way better idea of what happened than the hand down you will read off at start up (less dumbing it down)

The old saying is that GL's serve 3 purposes in FacOps (now E&F) Paychecks, Par forms and Phone calls. Hand out the pay stubs , approve the Par forms (pay action request), and handle bridge calls. Target pays you for lunch so they have the authority to tell you not to leave the premises for your lunch, other states may vary with laws as to weather they have to pay you for lunch ect.

PM me and I'll address any specific questions you may have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back