Archived What constitutes working off the clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m currently doing the jobs of two team leaders. Visual Merchandising and Softlines. I didn’t ask for it, but it’s what my store needs. That being said, I am CONSTANTLY being called, texted, emailed, etc. while I’m off the clock. There are also some days where I have to clock out to avoid overtime and bring home my grids to write out the week’s plans for the team. If I don’t answer or don’t get the work done, I get chewed out. How am I supposed to deal with this? This is technically working off the clock. I’m being asked to do a lot,but obviously it can’t be done in 40 hours. I feel if I try to bring this up to my ETL, they will just tell me to try harder and/or tell me I’m not dedicated to my job.

I am CONSTANTLY being called, texted, emailed, etc. while I’m off the clock.

If I don’t answer or don’t get the work done, I get chewed out.

Do a punch correction every time that they contact you about work-related things when you are off-the-clock. Don't work for free. You are only non-exempt and all non-exempt employees must be paid by the minute.

There are also some days where I have to clock out to avoid overtime and bring home my grids to write out the week’s plans for the team. If I don’t answer or don’t get the work done, I get chewed out. How am I supposed to deal with this? This is technically working off the clock. I’m being asked to do a lot,but obviously it can’t be done in 40 hours. I feel if I try to bring this up to my ETL, they will just tell me to try harder and/or tell me I’m not dedicated to my job.

Bringing home grids to write out the week’s plans for the team definitely constitutes as working off-the-clock. You are not a salaried ETL so you cannot work from home.

Here are some passages from the Team Member Handbook:

Leaders Condoning Working Off-the-Clock Violation.jpg

Hotline.jpg

It is a terminable offense for leaders to pressure people to work off-the-clock.

Last edited:
I’m currently doing the jobs of two team leaders. Visual Merchandising and Softlines. I didn’t ask for it, but it’s what my store needs. That being said, I am CONSTANTLY being called, texted, emailed, etc. while I’m off the clock. There are also some days where I have to clock out to avoid overtime and bring home my grids to write out the week’s plans for the team. If I don’t answer or don’t get the work done, I get chewed out. How am I supposed to deal with this? This is technically working off the clock. I’m being asked to do a lot,but obviously it can’t be done in 40 hours. I feel if I try to bring this up to my ETL, they will just tell me to try harder and/or tell me I’m not dedicated to my job.

Well, you asked. All of that is you working for free. I'm sure while your bosses load you up with work, they might also be keeping tabs on you working off the clock so they can use it against you in the future. Also, I'm sure while the CEO Brian Cornell makes 500 times what you are making, he appreciates you working for free.

A tl once texted me while I was at home about a work issue. The next day, I put a punch correction for 15 minutes. If Target wants me to be available at all times, they can pay me.

Well, you asked. All of that is you working for free. I'm sure while your bosses load you up with work, they might also be keeping tabs on you working off the clock so they can use it against you in the future. Also, I'm sure while the CEO Brian Cornell makes 500 times what you are making, he appreciates you working for free.

A tl once texted me while I was at home about a work issue. The next day, I put a punch correction for 15 minutes. If Target wants me to be available at all times, they can pay me.
^This. Please don’t work off the clock. Working off the clock is a termination offense, and like unknown says, your bosses could use that against you in the future. ASANTS, but some leaders do play that dirty, and most don’t appreciate your going above and beyond the call of duty. They expect it, but they don’t appreciate it. Protect yourself. Personally, once I left the building I wouldn’t answer calls, texts or emails, but if you feel you must, make sure you are compensated for it.

Indeed you are being taken advantage of by working off the clock.

If you are taking on additional roles that require you to work over 40 hours. Then your store execs need to spread some of the responsibilities to others.

Go to your ETL and HR.

Last edited:
I've been salaried and worked way more than 40 hours some weeks because that's what was necessary - and I knew it might be expected of me at some times so it was no surprise. There are reasons I'm no longer working a salaried job!
You are not salaried and should not be working more than 40 hours a week without getting paid overtime. That your store is expecting (demanding?) this of you is very likely against your state's labor laws and certainly against Target's own policy.
Now, should you march into your STL's office and read them the riot act? I wouldn't approach it that way, but this needs to be addressed. They're taking advantage of you and you are letting them do it.

What did you put as the comment/reason? It seems weird at my store to put a punch correction for a simple text message when it seems like TLs text TMs about work issues a lot. At the same time I understand the working off-the-clock issue.

What did you put as the comment/reason? It seems weird at my store to put a punch correction for a simple text message when it seems like TLs text TMs about work issues a lot. At the same time I understand the working off-the-clock issue.

She told me to put one in. That's what I wrote.

If it's happening "a lot," isn't that a red flag that it shouldn't be so much?

This topic has come up often at my store. As Sr.TL's we are constantly answering text messages from our STL or other seniors. On and off the clock. There is an unspoken expectation that we answer all calls or texts. It can be frustating. I think many of us also take work home to game plan.

I personally have the cell phone number to all members of my team. We have phone issuse at our store. The good is I can quickly communicate with them for last minute shifts if they want to pick up hours. (The same basic convo I would have over the phone). But the bad is that they will text me any time they have a question or concern. I have to literally tell them "do not contact me" when I take vacations other wise there is always something if I'm not in the building. It can be hard to always be "on".

I’m in HR and this happens to me constantly. Never mind the emails I send to leaders, the conversations I have with them or the reports I send to them, all of which answer 99% of their questions, they still text me when I’m off the clock about these things. If I answer anything, I always add that I will be submitting a punch correction for the time I spent doing so to make sure policy is followed and so that they can’t hold it against me later, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back