Archived What do you view as being the most difficult TL position to be successful at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseyerc

GSTL
I’d say GSTL (due to having the largest team under you, including GSAs which are a leadership role+being the face of the front end and dealing with the most difficult guests), Food TL and Logistics/Flow TL as well given the high turnover and if you have a shitty ETL or no ETL and an STL who is out to get to you.

Softlines TL and Starbucks TL will always be the easiest as well as HRTL in my opinion.

Honestly.. Flexible Fullfilment,Beauty,Electronics TL seem pretty unnecessary me (I’ve heard of Hardlines TL who just focus on beauty or electronics and I’m like why?)

Last edited:
Honestly.. Flexible Fullfilment,Beauty,Electronics TL seem pretty unnecessary
Yeah, SFS reporting directly to the ETL-Log really doesn't work out all that well, and if they actually execute order 66 and force modernization on everyone, SFS will end up being the only survivor from Logistics and would basically just get totally ignored.

In my store? Consumables/Food TL. Target wants to be in the grocery business but doesn’t seem to know how to do grocery in a way that makes sense. Putting non -grocery trained/minded TLs/TMs into those roles doesn’t help. Our TL came from a major grocery chain but his team is a hodgepodge of HLs/seasonals/other personalities that don’t see that grocery is a different animal than the rest of the store.

Last edited:
I think Food TL is the hardest. It's a large area with few tms (it seems that way to me anyway), staying on top of outs and end caps...just everything about it seems awful to me. Ours is also is over SB so there's that on top. I am very respectful to ours because I can't imagine having that job and not losing my marbles.🤯

I think Food TL is the hardest. It's a large area with few tms (it seems that way to me anyway), staying on top of outs and end caps...just everything about it seems awful to me. Ours is also is over SB so there's that on top. I am very respectful to ours because I can't imagine having that job and not losing my marbles.🤯
I agree 100%. Being a Food TL looks like a freaking nightmare. Being a GSTL, I can delegate the large workload to more tms (since I have a lot more) thus decreasing the overall workload for myself and just ensuring they’re on top of what I asked them to do.

ASANTs we don't even have PA's to help our Food TL he have to do everything on his own with the help of our pfresh tms also small team not even over 10 without seasonals.. Also my store is a high volume in our whole district.

I’d say GSTL (due to having the largest team under you, including GSAs which are a leadership role+being the face of the front end and dealing with the most difficult guests), Food TL and Logistics/Flow TL as well given the high turnover and if you have a shitty ETL or no ETL and an STL who is out to get to you.

Softlines TL and Starbucks TL will always be the easiest as well as HRTL in my opinion.

Honestly.. Flexible Fullfilment,Beauty,Electronics TL seem pretty unnecessary me (I’ve heard of Hardlines TL who just focus on beauty or electronics and I’m like why?)
Honestly, GSTL is the only TL position that matters, and it does get very very frustrating just standing around. Its very difficult. All other TL positions are very very unnecessary.

Ive been sales floor team lead for every department, presentation and food avenue. Presentation seems to be by far the hardest because you never get the payroll your truly supposed to get. It is beyond frustrating. Workload of 200 but only 100 hours to get it done.

I've been a TL for HL (and Beauty), SL and Food Ave.

Food Ave. was so difficult because I had a leadership team who had zero fucks to give about it unless there was a problem. Lots of staffing issues because TMs got fed up with the obvious lack of care. I often worked alone, so managing my team was almost impossible. I will say, though, that I learned a lot from that position.

HL was awesome and fairly easy because I had a counterpart that I worked really well with; we had a great system and he really taught me so much about running a team. Beauty was cool bc I love makeup and had a pretty good team.

SL is challenging for me. The E2E/modernization process (and the frequent changes that come with it) is frustrating, to say the least. My counterpart has a couple of decades in role under their belt and they're having a hard time adapting. Also, they're notoriously difficult to work with and coaching for anything has been non-existent for a few years.

TL;DR: lots of factors to consider, but FA was ass.

Are you from a low volume store? Those are hard positions at my store.

GSTL, ours have it easy. Ordering bags, dropping candy batches and making some other team pull it, and babysitting the cashiers. Their main struggle is finding the time to do coachings lol. They got smart and became super strict and coaching for everything, so now everyone is afraid of getting coached and so there’s now less coachings.

Starbucks TL: needs to be someone who knows Starbucks in and out, it’s a position for a Starbucks TM who has leadership qualities, not a position for a leader who’s needed or being moved to another role to fill a gap. If you have someone who’s in it to win it and knows their stuff, it tends to come together. If only we could get Starbucks hiring to happen lol.

Presentation has it easy at mine, they get all their payroll and we don’t ever pull their team to do other stuff.

Flex TL I wouldn’t say has it hard, it’s their own fault their team sucks and they don’t hold them accountable and they make shitty hiring decisions. 1500 a day doesn’t help though lol.

Electronics TL, has toys and entertainment as well, and with the importance of guest service and selling goals with accessory attach rates and service replacement plans being additional metrics, and requiring open to close coverage, and street dated launches; not what I’d call unnecessary.

Beauty TL? Yeah fuck that noise; give it to electronics to handle the selling and service piece and have hardlines cover the logistics aspect of it.

HRTL? Scheduling that includes 120+ different TMs every given day, seasonal hiring, and retention and hours cutting the rest of the year, I’d say it’s not too bad but not easy.

Flow TL is unnecessary. In fact, it isn’t in the new ops model anymore since all of their team ends up falling under...

Hardlines TL. SHOULD be the easiest. Small flexible and global team, reshop and push and help guests and zoning is what the team worries about.

What I actually end up doing at my high volume store is be the only sales floor coverage when I open. So task lists, filling outs, covering gstl breaks, helping guests, backing up, plus all the other standard TL stuff. But also every hour I’m being hounded about piling up reshop. Kill me.

Softlines TL; if you have your team on lock, it can be easy. If you have high turnover and a team that lacks problem solving skills? Good luck, have fun doing truck or sorting reshop your whole shift to get them caught up.

Backroom TL: lol there’s still stores with backroom teams? Ours are all openers, and they just do audits and some autos; they pull it then push it immediately. I actually like this part.

Food TL. That’s the answer to your question. This one is the hardest no matter what kind of store yours is.

Are you from a low volume store? Those are hard positions at my store.

GSTL, ours have it easy. Ordering bags, dropping candy batches and making some other team pull it, and babysitting the cashiers. Their main struggle is finding the time to do coachings lol. They got smart and became super strict and coaching for everything, so now everyone is afraid of getting coached and so there’s now less coachings.

Starbucks TL: needs to be someone who knows Starbucks in and out, it’s a position for a Starbucks TM who has leadership qualities, not a position for a leader who’s needed or being moved to another role to fill a gap. If you have someone who’s in it to win it and knows their stuff, it tends to come together. If only we could get Starbucks hiring to happen lol.

Presentation has it easy at mine, they get all their payroll and we don’t ever pull their team to do other stuff.

Flex TL I wouldn’t say has it hard, it’s their own fault their team sucks and they don’t hold them accountable and they make shitty hiring decisions. 1500 a day doesn’t help though lol.

Electronics TL, has toys and entertainment as well, and with the importance of guest service and selling goals with accessory attach rates and service replacement plans being additional metrics, and requiring open to close coverage, and street dated launches; not what I’d call unnecessary.

Beauty TL? Yeah fuck that noise; give it to electronics to handle the selling and service piece and have hardlines cover the logistics aspect of it.

HRTL? Scheduling that includes 120+ different TMs every given day, seasonal hiring, and retention and hours cutting the rest of the year, I’d say it’s not too bad but not easy.

Flow TL is unnecessary. In fact, it isn’t in the new ops model anymore since all of their team ends up falling under...

Hardlines TL. SHOULD be the easiest. Small flexible and global team, reshop and push and help guests and zoning is what the team worries about.

What I actually end up doing at my high volume store is be the only sales floor coverage when I open. So task lists, filling outs, covering gstl breaks, helping guests, backing up, plus all the other standard TL stuff. But also every hour I’m being hounded about piling up reshop. Kill me.

Softlines TL; if you have your team on lock, it can be easy. If you have high turnover and a team that lacks problem solving skills? Good luck, have fun doing truck or sorting reshop your whole shift to get them caught up.

Backroom TL: lol there’s still stores with backroom teams? Ours are all openers, and they just do audits and some autos; they pull it then push it immediately. I actually like this part.

Food TL. That’s the answer to your question. This one is the hardest no matter what kind of store yours is.
Backroom tl easy? Ok..... we have 7 backroom tl. We do the pulls , auto , out of stock, esim, recalls , sweep, mirs, flex fill, ship to store , rtsk, manual caf, 13 steps , item merge, pull the Plano pogs( backstock everything too) pull all the Pogs for all departments, exf, seasonal batches , trap transition, pull price change , set the line ..... ohh and we stock all the caf and auto. And this is how my day as a backroom tl went.

Attachments

• 255BBB0A-DB9E-4580-9E8A-538157AD0C28.jpeg
    255BBB0A-DB9E-4580-9E8A-538157AD0C28.jpeg
    706.4 KB · Views: 60
Backroom tl easy?
Whoa. What’s your receiver doing? Besides not doing the sweeps, MIRs, recalls, and ESIM. Why are you doing all of the work for so many workcenters? Our price change team pulls their own, and presentation pulls and backstocks their own. That’s why we don’t fuck with their payroll and don’t pull them for other stuff. Ship to store? Your ETL GE should be able to figure out a way for the front end to take responsibility for it so that receiving can just drop it off at OPU (again, where’s your receiver?). Who is dropping EXFs on you guys? I would coach the shit out of them; you drop it you pull it. Inbound/unload should be trapping your transition when they’re sorting. If backroom closer doesn’t set the line, lod does it. Seasonal should be a salesfloor TLs problem. Your worries should be limited to autos manuals OOSes audits 13 steps etc. Also, I’m curious you didn’t mention garbage/cardboard/making bales; lol is that what your receiver is too busy doing?

Holy shit, I feel for you majorly.

Whoa. What’s your receiver doing? Besides not doing the sweeps, MIRs, recalls, and ESIM. Why are you doing all of the work for so many workcenters? Our price change team pulls their own, and presentation pulls and backstocks their own. That’s why we don’t fuck with their payroll and don’t pull them for other stuff. Ship to store? Your ETL GE should be able to figure out a way for the front end to take responsibility for it so that receiving can just drop it off at OPU (again, where’s your receiver?). Who is dropping EXFs on you guys? I would coach the shit out of them; you drop it you pull it. Inbound/unload should be trapping your transition when they’re sorting. If backroom closer doesn’t set the line, lod does it. Seasonal should be a salesfloor TLs problem. Your worries should be limited to autos manuals OOSes audits 13 steps etc. Also, I’m curious you didn’t mention garbage/cardboard/making bales; lol is that what your receiver is too busy doing?

We are a AAA+ store with and off-site . My receiver does that but it fall on the backroom right? Those are backroom metrics. All the leads drop the exf and pogs. We pull and backstock . Again having a off-site is like having an other store . Where is me and my team working. No other tl or etl work there. Try and trap the transition with the new process and doubles every night 2600+ each.

We are a AAA+ store with and off-site . My receiver does that but it fall on the backroom right? Those are backroom metrics. All the leads drop the exf and pogs. We pull and backstock . Again having a off-site is like having an other store . Where is me and my team working. No other tl or etl work there. Try and trap the transition with the new process and doubles every night 2600+ each.
Damn, I was also about to ask what your volume is. That’s insane. Had no idea you were AAA+ off-site.

Do you only have one receiver?

Lol, they have 7 freaking TLs in the backroom and it still looks like shi*.

Lol, they have 7 freaking TLs in the backroom and it still looks like shi*.
What makes you think it looks like shit? Because we do it all? I had 70 pallets of backstock and at the end of the 8h day I came clean and current with just 3 people . Don’t assume just because it’s 7 of us would look that way. 3 are overnight . 4 day that’s to make sure the back is always with a lead. We don’t need the etl or stl to come and tell us what to do . Even our opener can lead the team and get things done because we have expectations and standards.

Im going with flow and backroom TLs
They have to deal with every box and pallet that arrives on the truck and everything thats remotely wrong in the backroom or sales floor is there problem. Yes they lead a very small team but that team also has to be watched at all times and you also have to have your team pull off insane tasks the stores give them and if they fail then its on you. They also have to watch over the whole store at night until the morning LOD arrives at 7am

We don’t need the etl or stl to come and tell us what to do .
Amen. If our ETL-Log would have taken a world cruise our backroom would have run a Hell of a lot better, faster and more efficiently. Our team knew what they were doing and did not need the micromanagement they were subjected to until the most of veterans quit. Rookie team this Q4 with rookie leadership.
Karma at her best.🙄

Im going with flow and backroom TLs
They have to deal with every box and pallet that arrives on the truck and everything thats remotely wrong in the backroom or sales floor is there problem. Yes they lead a very small team but that team also has to be watched at all times and you also have to have your team pull off insane tasks the stores give them and if they fail then its on you. They also have to watch over the whole store at night until the morning LOD arrives at 7am

I used to think backroom / flow would be the hardest position however I have also come to learn that it depends on your team generally. If your team likes you as a flow TL they're going to bust their ass and make things happen for you. If they don't like you however it will be a miserable experience and you'll have a hard time motivating them. I've been in 3 different stores and seen about 6 different flow TL's and it's about 50/50 on the teams output. I think the TL we have now is great for the flow team. He's young they actually respect him and he works alongside them. That's the biggest thing about being a flow TL is actually working alongside your team and not just monitoring their output.

In modernization I would say we have transitioned to food being the hardest to run. Generally because you're in control of so much with more pressure and you have on top of all of your in store metrics you have to deal with Steritech. I've seen a few people struggle in this area recently and it's not their fault but their teams. It's a position where you really need to clone yourself.

As for GSTL being the hardest, I wouldn't really consider it the hardest in terms of work flow but it's the hardest in terms of you want to do more than what is really possible or plausible for yourself. It's another position where you wish you could clone yourself so you could completely take care of the front end. You want to do tasks but can't because your cashiers need your undying attention. Also for the love of god do not let those lanes back up.

What makes you think it looks like shit? Because we do it all? I had 70 pallets of backstock and at the end of the 8h day I came clean and current with just 3 people . Don’t assume just because it’s 7 of us would look that way. 3 are overnight . 4 day that’s to make sure the back is always with a lead. We don’t need the etl or stl to come and tell us what to do . Even our opener can lead the team and get things done because we have expectations and standards.
You are doing a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back