Archived What does the GE ETL do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When not sitting around ours is LOD. They don't do any guest service or lane watching that I've ever seen. It's the cake walk of etl positions as far as I can tell.

At my store, they also make the schedule for the front lanes, are involved in hiring (and presumably firing), and stuff like that.

The GE handles all guest issues through my guest, manages the gstls workload with red cards and such. They assist with a ton of talent management considering GSTL don’t get a ton of off stage time. They’re in charge of equipment control as week. It’s more of a broad job description when it comes to ETL jobs but it’s definitely necessary if you’re high volume. If you have good gstls you don’t really see your GE often. Mine is never around but there when I need her. She trusts me and knows that she doesn’t need to micromanage me.

Mine is also ETL for the Sales Floor. She has pretty much abandoned the front end. Never see her up front and according to the GSTLs, they don't either.

We're all hoping it's time for her to rotate to another position, and store.

When I ran a Micky Dees if I waltzed in and saw my managers goofing off there would be hell to pay. Managers are supposed to be up front and visible at all times, no hiding in the office or in back. You can't let the store run itself... shit always fucks up eventually.

In my time at Target we had 4 ETL GE's, they were:

1. First ETL position at Target
2. First ETL position at Target
3. ETL who had been demoted from another store
4. First ETL position at Target

Based on that, my guess is that ETL-GE, is considered to be the easiest ETL position assuming it's strictly frontlanes, and not mixed with salesfloor.

It’s funny that the overall opinion is that the GE doesn’t do much but target seems to be creating more of them with the new modernization. From the picture posted on here the other day it appears most stores that have a split GE/sales floor or softlines will be reverting back to having a strictly GE and the split will now be sales floor/log which will surely be interesting to see

Both the GEs that have been at my store since I’ve been there have been the hardest working ETLs in the store (our HR and AP etls are good too). They don’t focus on the front too much unless specific complaints are directed towards there or a bunch of callouts. Occassionally, he will backup the lanes or the service desk, but he’s usually focused on various backroom or salesfloor things. We do have two hardlines etls and a softlines etl as well, but they typically stay in the offices all day while our ETL GE enjoys guest engagement and staying busy.

GEs can be great leaders in the building if they’re versatile and have follow through with the projects they start.

Others have a small mountain of broken zebras they always forget to send back.

Some are great at their job, others are not. GE just gets a bad rap because usually they're new and panicking to get their feet under themselves.

GE is actually just as difficult as any other ETL position. The other ETLs have very specified projects to get done and timelines they have to meet (e.g. get the push done, get the new launch ready, make sure your floor is picked up, etc.) That's why you see them more on the floor. There's not much they need to do offstage. The GE on the other hand has to deal with most of the talent management, guest complaints, planning, execution, etc. offstage. There's not much I need to do on the floor besides cashiering and/or helping out at guest services. While I do that frequently I also catch sh*t from my STL for doing so. So while some of you sit there complaining that your GE is never on the floor, just remember that it's apparently fine for Salesfloor ETLs to help their team push, reshop, and zone but your STL most likely has an issue with your GE doing the same for their own team.

I have over 80 team members to write schedules for, coach, resolve their issues, listen to them vent, etc. Yes, when I'm writing the schedule, you're not going to see me too much on the floor that day. I have the largest department in the store and not only am I expected to write the schedule in 1 day, but I also have to keep in mind that a sh*tty front end schedule is going to f*ck up the entire store. Why exactly do you need your GE by the checklanes all day?

Oh and let's not forget that no one cares about the GE. The DTL comes for a visit and wants to status with all ETLs? You'd best believe the GE is told to go watch the store. STL planning the weekly ETL meeting? Either it's scheduled in a way that the GE misses it completely or the GE gets to go but then has to turn around run an LOD shift while everyone else goes home (so no time to manage their department that day). If your GE actually cares about their department, they're forced to constantly play catch up and figure out what the hell the STL wants via second-hand information from other ETLs. My STL never even bothered to properly train me on his expectations when I onboarded. But he sure as hell made time to do LOD shifts for 2 weeks with other new ETLs.

If you don't think your GE does anything, then try getting your schedule fixed, your vacation approved, your equipment fixed, your complaints heard, recognition given, and a myriad of other things without involving the GE. You want your GE on the floor more? Stop complaining every time you get 36 hours instead of 38.75. Stop changing your availability every few weeks and asking for a vacation every other week. Show up to all of your shifts. Do what's asked of you without complaint and without bargaining. Stop going to your GE every time another TM spoke to you in a harsh tone (suck it up). Stop going to your GE to help you find coverage when you forget to submit a vacation request on time. Don't sit there and complain about how little you're being paid and how few hours you're getting when you refuse to open up your availability or cross train in other departments.

Last but not least, GE's get the most LOD shifts so while other ETLs only have to do 1 or at most 3 LOD shifts in a week, your GE is LOD 3-4 times a week. Then on their 5th day they get to write their schedule. The GE position is setup for failure.

GE is actually just as difficult as any other ETL position. The other ETLs have very specified projects to get done and timelines they have to meet (e.g. get the push done, get the new launch ready, make sure your floor is picked up, etc.) That's why you see them more on the floor. There's not much they need to do offstage. The GE on the other hand has to deal with most of the talent management, guest complaints, planning, execution, etc. offstage. There's not much I need to do on the floor besides cashiering and/or helping out at guest services. While I do that frequently I also catch sh*t from my STL for doing so. So while some of you sit there complaining that your GE is never on the floor, just remember that it's apparently fine for Salesfloor ETLs to help their team push, reshop, and zone but your STL most likely has an issue with your GE doing the same for their own team.

I have over 80 team members to write schedules for, coach, resolve their issues, listen to them vent, etc. Yes, when I'm writing the schedule, you're not going to see me too much on the floor that day. I have the largest department in the store and not only am I expected to write the schedule in 1 day, but I also have to keep in mind that a sh*tty front end schedule is going to f*ck up the entire store. Why exactly do you need your GE by the checklanes all day?

Oh and let's not forget that no one cares about the GE. The DTL comes for a visit and wants to status with all ETLs? You'd best believe the GE is told to go watch the store. STL planning the weekly ETL meeting? Either it's scheduled in a way that the GE misses it completely or the GE gets to go but then has to turn around run an LOD shift while everyone else goes home (so no time to manage their department that day). If your GE actually cares about their department, they're forced to constantly play catch up and figure out what the hell the STL wants via second-hand information from other ETLs. My STL never even bothered to properly train me on his expectations when I onboarded. But he sure as hell made time to do LOD shifts for 2 weeks with other new ETLs.

If you don't think your GE does anything, then try getting your schedule fixed, your vacation approved, your equipment fixed, your complaints heard, recognition given, and a myriad of other things without involving the GE. You want your GE on the floor more? Stop complaining every time you get 36 hours instead of 38.75. Stop changing your availability every few weeks and asking for a vacation every other week. Show up to all of your shifts. Do what's asked of you without complaint and without bargaining. Stop going to your GE every time another TM spoke to you in a harsh tone (suck it up). Stop going to your GE to help you find coverage when you forget to submit a vacation request on time. Don't sit there and complain about how little you're being paid and how few hours you're getting when you refuse to open up your availability or cross train in other departments.

Last but not least, GE's get the most LOD shifts so while other ETLs only have to do 1 or at most 3 LOD shifts in a week, your GE is LOD 3-4 times a week. Then on their 5th day they get to write their schedule. The GE position is setup for failure.

Do the other ETL's in your store write their part of the schedule, coach, and resolve issues also?

Mine is also ETL for the Sales Floor. She has pretty much abandoned the front end. Never see her up front and according to the GSTLs, they don't either.

We're all hoping it's time for her to rotate to another position, and store.
Being a GE ETL...you won't be seeing her change positions ever. That will be her permanent job at your store until she leaves the company or transfers out. From what I'm told that position is a rock solid position once you get it. Hard to fuck it up unless you are a complete moron.

Being a GE ETL...you won't be seeing her change positions ever. That will be her permanent job at your store until she leaves the company or transfers out. From what I'm told that position is a rock solid position once you get it. Hard to fuck it up unless you are a complete moron.

That has not been the case at my store. One GE did the typical rotation to a different store and different position. Last GE is now a different ETL position
still in my store. So, I am going to continue to hope that my current GE/SF leaves soon!

@LearningTree , your store is very different than mine. All TLs and ETL spend the vast majority of their time on the floor, including
the STL. Quite frankly, I believe that the STL is using them to bridge gaps in scheduling due to low hours.

In my store the STL and ETL-HR make the front end schedule. I don't know if they make the schedules for the other areas as well. So any
scheduling issues, problems, venting goes to ETL-HR. HR TM approves vacation days (she also used to do the front end schedule until STL
took that away). I believe that availability changes do go thru GE, but the STL seems to allow anything to fly. I believe that they try to make
everyone's availability work for them so that they don't quit.

Basically, a lot of your responsibilities have been taken off my ETL's plate. I assume that that is due to them also having to handle all of
sales floor. She doesn't seem to know what is going on up front, doesn't know how to do more than basic GS functions, doesn't know
how to open or close out registers.... Also, has not done anything to get the GSTLs on the same page. Our GSTLs expect things to be
done differently (how coupons are handled, guest price challenge limits, etc) The GE has been informed of this and nothing has changed.

I feel for you and what is expected of you in order to perform your job. I wish my GE even gave us a thought except to point out the
occasional mistake. Our front end is a mess; we have low hours which are compounded by call ins and NCNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back