Archived What does the GE ETL do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yells over walkie for people to go on their meal and when you don't go when they're sending you to go, they want to give you the talk. Fuck off bitch. I made it even if it's close I didn't hit compliance.

GE is actually just as difficult as any other ETL position. The other ETLs have very specified projects to get done and timelines they have to meet (e.g. get the push done, get the new launch ready, make sure your floor is picked up, etc.) That's why you see them more on the floor. There's not much they need to do offstage. The GE on the other hand has to deal with most of the talent management, guest complaints, planning, execution, etc. offstage. There's not much I need to do on the floor besides cashiering and/or helping out at guest services. While I do that frequently I also catch sh*t from my STL for doing so. So while some of you sit there complaining that your GE is never on the floor, just remember that it's apparently fine for Salesfloor ETLs to help their team push, reshop, and zone but your STL most likely has an issue with your GE doing the same for their own team.

I have over 80 team members to write schedules for, coach, resolve their issues, listen to them vent, etc. Yes, when I'm writing the schedule, you're not going to see me too much on the floor that day. I have the largest department in the store and not only am I expected to write the schedule in 1 day, but I also have to keep in mind that a sh*tty front end schedule is going to f*ck up the entire store. Why exactly do you need your GE by the checklanes all day?

Oh and let's not forget that no one cares about the GE. The DTL comes for a visit and wants to status with all ETLs? You'd best believe the GE is told to go watch the store. STL planning the weekly ETL meeting? Either it's scheduled in a way that the GE misses it completely or the GE gets to go but then has to turn around run an LOD shift while everyone else goes home (so no time to manage their department that day). If your GE actually cares about their department, they're forced to constantly play catch up and figure out what the hell the STL wants via second-hand information from other ETLs. My STL never even bothered to properly train me on his expectations when I onboarded. But he sure as hell made time to do LOD shifts for 2 weeks with other new ETLs.

If you don't think your GE does anything, then try getting your schedule fixed, your vacation approved, your equipment fixed, your complaints heard, recognition given, and a myriad of other things without involving the GE. You want your GE on the floor more? Stop complaining every time you get 36 hours instead of 38.75. Stop changing your availability every few weeks and asking for a vacation every other week. Show up to all of your shifts. Do what's asked of you without complaint and without bargaining. Stop going to your GE every time another TM spoke to you in a harsh tone (suck it up). Stop going to your GE to help you find coverage when you forget to submit a vacation request on time. Don't sit there and complain about how little you're being paid and how few hours you're getting when you refuse to open up your availability or cross train in other departments.

Last but not least, GE's get the most LOD shifts so while other ETLs only have to do 1 or at most 3 LOD shifts in a week, your GE is LOD 3-4 times a week. Then on their 5th day they get to write their schedule. The GE position is setup for failure.

I know ETL-GE, is probably harder than I probably think it is, however, I believe ETL-LOG (if you still have one) is quite easily the hardest position in the store at the moment. Imagine having literally your entire process up in the air, and every opening day will be shouldered by you (even if you aren't here), while also getting hit first with whatever "modernization" is going for.

I forgot to mention, SFS is at 1700 (at opening), we have to pull your entire Presentation team for the entire day, "I know you guys have a 350 hour+ workload, but all four of you would be a great help".

Meanwhile the Receiver yells, "ETL Log-Log-Log, a shipment arrived with 26 pallets for SFS", can you come back to receiving?"

12 hours later, you receive a 4500 piece double truck, which does not include C&S.

This was literally the last 24 hours.

I know ETL-GE, is probably harder than I probably think it is, however, I believe ETL-LOG (if you still have one) is quite easily the hardest position in the store at the moment. Imagine having literally your entire process up in the air, and every opening day will be shouldered by you (even if you aren't here), while also getting hit first with whatever "modernization" is going for.

I forgot to mention, SFS is at 1700 (at opening), we have to pull your entire Presentation team for the entire day, "I know you guys have a 350 hour+ workload, but all four of you would be a great help".

Meanwhile the Receiver yells, "ETL Log-Log-Log, a shipment arrived with 26 pallets for SFS", can you come back to receiving?"

12 hours later, you receive a 4500 piece double truck, which does not include C&S.

This was literally the last 24 hours.
Our new etl-log has decided we need ti help with unload stating soon... cause it's only an hour or two. When the fuck they think signing gets done now?

Our new etl-log has decided we need ti help with unload stating soon... cause it's only an hour or two. When the fuck they think signing gets done now?
He’s a great guy though! I’m sure he has his reasons... also I heard he’s leaving anyway

1. Salesfloor (“hey Softlines, where are you all at on the push???????????”)
2. Truck if ETL-LOG is on vacation
3. Demolishing some takeout from JimmyJohn’s or Red Robin in the breakroom with the other leads
4. Writing the front-end schedule (or more like NOT scheduling since we have 0.0000002 cashiers per guest most days)

I thought she was 30 something but turns out she’s actually 23...wtf

Try being at a store with an ETL-SF/GE, then they really do nothing for the front end. Too many fires to put out on the salesfloor!

Erm... current one walks around in circles micromanaging despite not knowing what he's doing. He's new though, so... Maybe he gets better and less off-putting at some point.

Etl-Hr and stl makes the schedule here. They don't make the ge miss the meetings... They have a senior tl watch everything normally.

schedule fixed, your vacation approved, your equipment fixed, your complaints heard, recognition given

Why are you doing all that? Schedules, vacation approval and complaints fall under hr. Although I guess you can complain to any leader really. Recognition as in those little cards? Or doing things to celebrate/encourage your front end team's achievements?

Either way, your post to me sounds like you're doing too much, maybe...

Stop going to your GE every time another TM spoke to you in a harsh tone (suck it up).
It's a little worrisome that you don't want to deal with coworker conflict. Telling someone to just "suck it up" when there's a real issue going on and they don't have the power, other than quitting due to the conflict, to fix it is both ethically wrong and contributes to a hostile work environment. And putting them in a position where the conflict is ongoing and quitting is their only alternative skirts at the border of breaking the law. You're a manager? Put an end to the conflict instead of leaving someone dangling because you think everyone should just suck it up.

Erm... current one walks around in circles micromanaging despite not knowing what he's doing. He's new though, so... Maybe he gets better and less off-putting at some point.

Etl-Hr and stl makes the schedule here. They don't make the ge miss the meetings... They have a senior tl watch everything normally.

Why are you doing all that? Schedules, vacation approval and complaints fall under hr. Although I guess you can complain to any leader really. Recognition as in those little cards? Or doing things to celebrate/encourage your front end team's achievements?

Either way, your post to me sounds like you're doing too much, maybe...
Ehh their post lines up pretty close to what my GE does. Also schedule is asants because I know every store in my district the etls wrote their own department and seniors help with theirs

Ehh their post lines up pretty close to what my GE does. Also schedule is asants because I know every store in my district the etls wrote their own department and seniors help with theirs

Yea I said the stl and hr make the schedules here... Like here where I am. I know for sure that one is different everywhere... From years of frequenting these forums. My etls and tls used to do it but only for their own departments and haven't in years. But excluding from meetings seems kinda mean girls to me tbh. I still don't fully know what they mean by recognition but my ge ain't doing nothing in regards to that so 🤷🏾‍♀️

Maybe technically my ge is supposed to be responsible for more? Idk... But he isn't doing much of anything other than being a disrespectful jerk

I’m my opinion every ETL spot besides GE is pretty black and white when it comes to what you’re responsible for but it’s hard to gauge where guest experience starts and stops. It’s the one ETL position that really is what you make it. If you’re lazy and don’t care you can usually get away with minimal work but if you’re hard working you can really make your peers life a lot easier. Guest experience can be whatever you make it.

It's a little worrisome that you don't want to deal with coworker conflict. Telling someone to just "suck it up" when there's a real issue going on and they don't have the power, other than quitting due to the conflict, to fix it is both ethically wrong and contributes to a hostile work environment. And putting them in a position where the conflict is ongoing and quitting is their only alternative skirts at the border of breaking the law. You're a manager? Put an end to the conflict instead of leaving someone dangling because you think everyone should just suck it up.

A majority of the time it’s because someone’s peer told them to do their job because they were slacking. That’s not a hostile work place, that’s tattling because you got caught slacking.

Serious conflicts I will definitely help with but some people just need to grow a thicker skin. I have TMs coming up to me because they said hi to someone and they didn't say hi back. Seriously, suck it up. I'm not HR, nor am I your therapist. There's a line where enough is enough. If you're someone that's going to quite over something like that, I will gladly grab you a pin to fill out s resignation. You're not cut out for the job.

Serious conflicts I will definitely help with but some people just need to grow a thicker skin. I have TMs coming up to me because they said hi to someone and they didn't say hi back. Seriously, suck it up. I'm not HR, nor am I your therapist. There's a line where enough is enough. If you're someone that's going to quite over something like that, I will gladly grab you a pin to fill out s resignation. You're not cut out for the job.

I just posted a thread called "Craziest Complaint in History," can I get your thoughts on it? I feel like with your "enough is enough" mindset you'll get a kick out of it lol.

Ours used to camp out in the office most of the time. One of the most useless things on 2 feet that I've ever worked with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back