Archived What exactly is a HR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm coming up on my two weeks being at Target and yesterday, I finally had my 'Food service Academy/Chat' with my HR and some other guy (I forgot what he's called:D)
My HR is literally so sweet but never really understood what she deals with? She just said that if we ever need anything, she has an open door policy. What exactly does an HR deal with?

Human Resources. They hire, fire, coach, deal with the schedule, manage payroll, listen to concerns or complaints, approve or deny vacation requests, conduct interviews, maintain records of training and certifications, etc etc.

Human Resources. They hire, fire, coach, deal with the schedule, manage payroll, listen to concerns or complaints, approve or deny vacation requests, conduct interviews, maintain records of training and certifications, etc etc.
Three points of clarification:

They don't really hire: (at my store) TLs do the first interviews and ETLs do the second and ultimately have the deciding vote. All HR does it tell you the conditional hire offer and explain what to do next. Even if HR did the first interview, the ETLs are still mostly responsible for hiring.

They don't coach; a member of the leadership does this (usually their direct supervising TL, but any leader can coach a TM.) TMs, even HR TMs, can't coach other TMs.

And they only kind of fire; that decision is made by leadership (after successive corrective action by the TM's leaders) and the termination is okayed by your HR-ETL or HR-BP. HR TMs then key in the termination into the system. So HR finalizes the termination, but they don't really have any say in who gets fired.

Several years ago my store had a chat session ( notice I said several years ago...cause yea just doesn't happen anymore...but I will leave that alone for now ) during which, the etl/ hr described his job . He told us that his job was to be a buffer between the etls, stls, head quarters etc ( and if you were a tm, add tl in there as well). He went on the tell us how that he was our representative and that he would go to bat for us no matter what . He wanted us to come to him with any issues we had and we ( the tm and the etl/hr) would come up with a solution together and swore he would remain partial no matter what . . Sounds great right ?This lasted about a week....then a team member overheard him and the stl bad mouthing tms and a tl. So, like @commiecorvus said they are not on your side. Even the good etl/hr have their hands bound by corporate and the stl...If your store is like mine the HR tm is the one who does all the HR work anyways

They don't really hire: (at my store) TLs do the first interviews and ETLs do the second and ultimately have the deciding vote. All HR does it tell you the conditional hire offer and explain what to do next. Even if HR did the first interview, the ETLs are still mostly responsible for hiring.

Hmm...I had two interviews. First was with the ETL, second with the head of HR. I didn't meet any of my TLs until I was out in the front.

Last edited:
z6Aionk.jpg

Myth: Increasing the minimum wage will cause people to lose their jobs.

Not true: A review of 64 studies on minimum wage increases found no discernable effect on employment. Additionally, more than 600 economists, seven of them Nobel Prize winners in economics, have signed onto a letter in support of raising the minimum wage to $10.10 by 2016.

HR (Human Resources) is a big coordination role
  • They handle ATS' and schedule interviews for leadership, work with leaders to make an official job offer.
  • They also work with leaders to ensure scheduling and payroll falls within Target guidelines. SOME stores have HR write the entire schedule or some department schedules
  • File/keep track of coachings and CCA's.
  • Listen to TM complaints/questions/etc, and pretend to try resolving them ;)
  • Ensure compliance with various labor laws
  • Fast Fun and Friendly events
  • pay/benefits questions and information
  • Use succession planning tools to map out the career paths and plan for future leadership openings (hence the reason it seems like when you're on the bench they already have a position for you. Because they do.)
Basically all the hands-off and "desk job" activities are related to HR in some way

They should have the wonderful experience of working weekends just like the rest of us. :D

They should have the wonderful experience of working weekends just like the rest of us. :D
One of our HR persons does orientation every Sunday for the last three weeks. We keep hiring a few new TMs every week and a few old ones quit

I'm shocked but they should have to work some weekends in my opinion. They are not special. They're are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. They're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

When they eliminated the HRTL position, they were also told to expect weekend shifts.
The favorite HRTM works alternating weekends (usually doing orientations) but may pull several weeks of weekdays only since she's the ETL-HR's right hand TM.
We have a couple of rotating evening TMs & another who prefers weekends so it works quite well.

HR has been the biggest revolving door in my store. Every new freshly scrubbed college hire gets raked over the coals and finds a new job within the year.

When they eliminated the HRTL position, they were also told to expect weekend shifts.
The favorite HRTM works alternating weekends (usually doing orientations) but may pull several weeks of weekdays only since she's the ETL-HR's right hand TM.
We have a couple of rotating evening TMs & another who prefers weekends so it works quite well.

I'm not sure how our HR team operates these days, but they used to rotate opening weekends and one TM would close a couple nights each week.

Our HRTM generally works Mon-Fri with "rotating" Saturday shifts, usually only for 4 hours though (7am-11am). They definitely have one of the best non-TL positions in the store.

We have an HRTM Mon-Fri and another one Sat and Sun.

The weekday TM does pretty much all of the HR work in the store. I even heard the ETL telling her to term some TMs that had a bunch of NCNSs in a row.

We have an HRTM Mon-Fri and another one Sat and Sun.

The weekday TM does pretty much all of the HR work in the store. I even heard the ETL telling her to term some TMs that had a bunch of NCNSs in a row.

Right, that means they have to process the termination in the system. If the TM were to actually show up, an ETL would do the actual discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back