Archived What is the one thing you most wish other TMs knew about your workcenter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Softlines usually has a lot more reshop than hardlines. Try to picture the amount of clothes you would need to fill a shopping cart to the brim. Now picture three of those carts. That is how many unsorted reshop carts we typically get during a closing shift. And that's not even counting the clothes that people try on and put back on the fitting room rack.
If you work in hardlines, please don't be one of those TMs who teases us about how we haven't gotten all our reshop out yet. We do work on it, but it just never seems to end.
I've helped out with Softlines reshop before. It's comparable to HBA. You have any idea how many small items are in those carts? I'm getting stressed just thinking about it.

Last edited:
I wish it was understood that as the signing tm, it's my job to organize the signing area and fixture room. But not to do all the endcap signing or put away your fixtures.

1. Sales floor tm will set an endcap with 25 pegs but not the backer paper. Now what happens? Am I to take all the product down and pegs down to put it up?

2. Etls's are the absolute worst offenders of not putting stuff up in the fixture room. "I don't have time. I was LOD. I left them there last night and was going to do them the next morning." I've heard it all. But they expect you to have time to clean up after them.

I feel like I'm such a babysitter concerning the fixture room. And I know people think I'm a prick. But I'd rather that then someone twist their ankle or get crushed under something.

You are my spirit animal and I love you.

The best is when I give them thier signs to put up and they ask me "Isn't that your job?"

No it is not, feel free to read the best practice of setting a pog. It states that you put up all fixtures and displays and "partner" with your ISM team member for signs.

PARTNER not leave for.

I wish it was understood that as the signing tm, it's my job to organize the signing area and fixture room. But not to do all the endcap signing or put away your fixtures.

1. Sales floor tm will set an endcap with 25 pegs but not the backer paper. Now what happens? Am I to take all the product down and pegs down to put it up?

2. Etls's are the absolute worst offenders of not putting stuff up in the fixture room. "I don't have time. I was LOD. I left them there last night and was going to do them the next morning." I've heard it all. But they expect you to have time to clean up after them.

I feel like I'm such a babysitter concerning the fixture room. And I know people think I'm a prick. But I'd rather that then someone twist their ankle or get crushed under something.
My fixture room was just "fixed" recently and it now looks beautiful. It'll probably become a death trap again in a couple weeks though.

Just because something is labeled lip balm does not mean it is cosmetics. All of those little character lip balms? Either seasonal or softlines depending on the day. They are not my responsibility.

My lip balm is the little packs of baby wipes that go with the travel sized junk. I get boxes of them and tiny baby oils on cafs. I get some from guest service. It's so annoying.

I wish it was understood that Starbucks isn't just fun and games, as a cashier said to me.
There's a lot of work to be done, and for hours at a time we are alone. Try helping a line of 10 guests when you're alone while running out of whipped cream, creme base, and Chai when there's no one around to help. Guests get angry and take it out on the one barista there.
Now, I love being in Starbucks. Over time, my team has learned to communicate and help one another, but other departments don't see how much work goes into a shift back there. We work hard, and I know not everyone sees it. It can get frustrating when your GSTL comes up to give you change and walks away while making a comment that she "wishes she could spend her time doing nothing like us."

@BaristaChick16 , as a SBTL, I get you completely.
FYI, we do more than serve drinks and deliver the Starbucks experience. With 120 hours, it is hard to get all of our cleaning routines done on a weekly basis. Take into account that we also have happy hour Mondays in March as well as 2 resets. It is damn near impossible to get these things done on 120 weekly. It would be nice for others to walk in our shoes...
I can be sypathetic to others, since I have worked in quite a few workcenters. But, I would love to stop hearing how easy I have it at Starbucks. Starbucks is not easy.

Testify, sisters of SB.
Ditto to everything above with a small add-on:
Just because I don't have any guests at the moment does NOT mean I don't have any work to do.
There's next-day's prep, restocking cups/lids/syrups/milk between slams & simply cleaning up the carnage that guests leave behind.
Looks easy? It's because we're that damn good.

When you leave something at Guest Service, please place it on the back counter with some clue as to its disposition. Is it go back? (You could put it in the proper go back cart.) Is it defective? Is it lost and found? Is it a hold (and for how long - today, tomorrow, who's it for)? Does it need a ticket? Does it need a dpci? (While you're on the floor, you could find the item and give us the number so we can print a ticket rather than have us search on myDevice or iPad, ya know.) Do I really want your signing materials? (No.) Do I want your trash? (No). Do I want the pull/backstock that you didn't feel like doing? (No.) Did you know that throwing the keys on the counter is not the same as signing them in?

But the one thing that I'm eternally grateful for is our FR team who always, ALWAYS tell us when the undies or bras or whatever are TOO FREAKIN' GROSS to touch without gloves. I LOVE YOU!

Just because something is labeled lip balm does not mean it is cosmetics. All of those little character lip balms? Either seasonal or softlines depending on the day. They are not my responsibility.

I stand in the same aisle almost all day? Yes, because a detailed zone in cosmetics is tedious and time-consuming.

Sounds about right.

I've helped out with Softlines reshop before. It's comparable to HBA. You have any idea how many small items are in those carts? I'm getting stressed just thinking about it.

Im closing HBA tonight. Every night I close, without fail, there's a single cart full of health, cosmetics and haircare products all mixed together

EDIT I JUST HAVE COSMETICS TO DO SOMEONE ELSE HAS HEALTH PRAISE JESUS

Last edited:
Im closing HBA tonight. Every night I close, without fail, there's a single cart full of health, cosmetics and haircare products all mixed together

EDIT I JUST HAVE COSMETICS TO DO SOMEONE ELSE HAS HEALTH PRAISE JESUS
You dodged a bullet. Health products take forever to restock, especially with all those travel sized items...

Cash office:
When cashiering, please face the bills the same way and face up. I know this seems like a small complaint but it really slows us down having to bankface all of the bills. My store doesn't even require all of the ones to be facing the same way, just face up is fine. We are a ULV store so how hard is it really to take those 2 twenties the guest just gave you and place them in the same direction as the others?
Rebate checks do NOT go in with the coupons! I know they are too large for the check slot but fold them and then put them in there anyhow. They'll be fine.
After you have tendered out a gift card and it's at zero balance, either throw it away or return to the stack to reuse it (only for the ones that are red like when a guest gets a free $5 gc for buying something). It doesn't go into the coupons either.

Flow Team here

Stop blaming everytime shit goes wrong. It's not our fault we need to meet unrealistic expectations.
The first rule of Flow Team is: Go faster.
The second rule of Flow Team is: Go. Faster.

The flow team works hard. Our work isn't any harder than any other team...it's just different. We all have unrealistic goals, all have ETLs barking at us and rarely get the opportunity to do our jobs 100%. Flow is forced to do a half assed job on the floor so that the line is clear and looks great when it gets walked, but then the rest of the store is a mess because nothing is FIFOed, things are overstocked, stocked incorrectly.

But, hey, the line looks good ;)

So much this. We used to have issues where recycled gift cards wouldn't receive their new balance. So many angry guests...
I have never heard of this happening. Most guests use them so quickly... I don't see how there would be a problem.

The giftcard call center can track the transactions on any Target giftcard. Giving a guest a "recycled" card is not a good idea. If there is a problem with the giftcard balance, it will complicate the resolution to have more than one guest history on it. So, if the balance is zero, and the guest doesn't want it, pitch it!

Softlines usually has a lot more reshop than hardlines. Try to picture the amount of clothes you would need to fill a shopping cart to the brim. Now picture three of those carts. That is how many unsorted reshop carts we typically get during a closing shift. And that's not even counting the clothes that people try on and put back on the fitting room rack.
If you work in hardlines, please don't be one of those TMs who teases us about how we haven't gotten all our reshop out yet. We do work on it, but it just never seems to end.

We're lucky to have only 3 carts of softlines re-shop on a quiet day. I would feel bad for our softlines team if they didn't spend their shifts texting and taking selfies at the fitting room instead of actually trying to get some of their re-shop worked.

Dear Guest Service Desk, you are not very good at guessing. Smart Sort is a thing.

I've been fighting this battle for a long time.

Our Smart Sort setup has 3 carts just for HBA. But seeing as the service desk team doesn't care enough to actually use Smart Sort, it doesn't help a whole lot.

I wish more people realized Ship from Store TMs actually create real sales dollars just by doing our jobs and that we do NOT suck hours out of other workcenters.

We're lucky to have only 3 carts of softlines re-shop on a quiet day. I would feel bad for our softlines team if they didn't spend their shifts texting and taking selfies at the fitting room instead of actually trying to get some of their re-shop worked.

You know I wrote 'closing shift', right? Like 4:30-10:30, not the whole day? If you did read that, may God have mercy on your store.

And apparently a lot of stores on here have lazy softlines TMs. They're giving us a bad rep! :oops:

You know I wrote 'closing shift', right? Like 4:30-10:30, not the whole day? If you did read that, may God have mercy on your store.

Yes. High-volume border store near a major commercial crossroads. And if you think our softlines department sounds scary, you should see our parking lot. Once people are within a 1-mile radius of my store, they suddenly forget how to safely operate a motor vehicle.

And apparently a lot of stores on here have lazy softlines TMs. They're giving us a bad rep! :oops:

Actually, we do have some good softlines TMs. Unfortunately, they don't get the re-shop done either because they're the ones who actually respond to back-up at the lanes.

I answer the phones sometimes and nothing ticks me off when people don't pick up the phone! I say Toys call on- No answer and they do not tell me they got it so it rings back several times and the guest gets upset and I have to yell and say would someone in Toys please take the call on... Or the people who never go to the call buttons and I get those angry guests. A simple I got it would be nice....... It happens so much at my store it is crazy.

Salesfloor: Stop leaving trash/cardboard in the back room. I know our balers are broken half the time, but that's why we have 20+ trash cages on hand. Backroom's duties do not include cleaning up your mess. If you leave a cart full of empty boxes sitting around, your team lead will find it right back on the push line.

Cart Attendants: I'm not getting you another hanger bin until you close up that overflowing monstrosity you already have going.

Service desk: You know what's more annoying than having to stop pulling CAFs to bring your FF order up to the desk? Getting up there, and seeing three of you standing around. One of you could have easily picked it up yourself.

Overnight team: Stop stealing everything. I'm mainly talking about freezer gloves and box cutters. And stop backstocking like d***heads. If a DPCI already has a location, try to fit it there. There is no reason that we should have the same item in 6 different backroom locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back