Archived What is the one thing you most wish other TMs knew about your workcenter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoned2deep

Market TM
Another way to frame the question: pretend you have been given the opportunity to present one request, piece of advice, or bit of information that will be given to every TM, new and old, in a workcenter other than your own. What would you want to say?

As a Hardlines TM, I am especially interested in hearing from people in workcenters that I don't get to communicate with on a day-to-day basis: presentation, instocks, price accuracy, flow, etc.

Both snarky and serious answers accepted :D

That everyone has their own work to do so try your best to keep up with your own workload so other workcenters don't have to "Be global" and not get their work done instead.

That or tell people that if the bailers are full, and backroom can't make it back there, then damnit, break down your cardboard!

I wish that they would realize that my workcenter is not a tinder box next to an open flame, or possibly twitchy, universe ending alien technology. It's a dry process photo lab.

Seriously. I can have any of you trained in a shift.

If I have the audacity to step away from the lab to do something else, and somebody needs help at photo, you can hear the utter panic in their voices over the walkies as they try to figure out why I left the doomsday device unguarded.

I wish...that everyone would keep in mind that the backroom is not a dumping ground. Your shelves, shelf labels , backer paper doesn't come to us . Take care of that before you bring your bs to us. Also, be neat about it ....send your bs back the way you would like us to send your pulls out to you. Sending small Itens back to bs...rubbers ( rubber bands) are your friends. Pratice Safe Backstocking ! Use a rubber !

Last edited:
Like @Zone my work center is a dry process lab. I wish people would realize that the big scary machine with different colored dots, arrows, beeping, whirring, and pictures spitting out from everywhere is a very simple machine to use. I can teach you how in about 30 minutes for the absolute basics needed to help in a pinch.

That said, if you don't know how to work it, don't just try to figure it out on an active order, ASK. I don't bite, until you give guests unreleased photos from the wrong printer because you didn't want to ask someone how it works.

I wish it was understood that Starbucks isn't just fun and games, as a cashier said to me.

There's a lot of work to be done, and for hours at a time we are alone. Try helping a line of 10 guests when you're alone while running out of whipped cream, creme base, and Chai when there's no one around to help. Guests get angry and take it out on the one barista there.

Now, I love being in Starbucks. Over time, my team has learned to communicate and help one another, but other departments don't see how much work goes into a shift back there. We work hard, and I know not everyone sees it. It can get frustrating when your GSTL comes up to give you change and walks away while making a comment that she "wishes she could spend her time doing nothing like us."

I wish it was understood that as the signing tm, it's my job to organize the signing area and fixture room. But not to do all the endcap signing or put away your fixtures.

1. Sales floor tm will set an endcap with 25 pegs but not the backer paper. Now what happens? Am I to take all the product down and pegs down to put it up?

2. Etls's are the absolute worst offenders of not putting stuff up in the fixture room. "I don't have time. I was LOD. I left them there last night and was going to do them the next morning." I've heard it all. But they expect you to have time to clean up after them.

I feel like I'm such a babysitter concerning the fixture room. And I know people think I'm a prick. But I'd rather that then someone twist their ankle or get crushed under something.

The service desk is not a dump for your trash or signage. You have the signage room in the back where the compactor is. I already have to sort, defect and repackage the stuff you brought me and help the guests at my desk and photo center too. Oh and back stock... goes in the back... not in the bin to be sorted... LOL

The service desk is not a dump for your trash or signage. You have the signage room in the back where the compactor is. I already have to sort, defect and repackage the stuff you brought me and help the guests at my desk and photo center too. Oh and back stock... goes in the back... not in the bin to be sorted... LOL

The Signing Ninja shouldn't have to come up to the front desk to look for signs that may have fallen down every morning.
TLs or ETLs left the damned things up there not TMs.
There's a signing cart in the fixture room you could have put them on so I could take care of them first thing.

Stop telling GSA's that we have an easy job.

Our job is literally to be thrown onto the lanes and bounce from problem-guest to problem-guest like a pingpong ball. Our task list is relatively short because we spend 40 hours a week getting reamed by guests for everything from not finding team members on the floor, to not being able to return an xbox from 2012.

We're paid to stand at the lanes, represent the target brand, swallow every sense of pride that we have/had, supervise the front, be torn apart by guests all day while still getting them to leave happy. If it were an "easy job" the turnover for this position wouldn't be so freaking high. We're paid for our people skills, organizational leadership skills in a moderately-chaotic environment, and cash office skills. We aren't paid to push freight all day.

Last edited:
*Gets on overhead after having looked in the electronics lockup*

Attention Target Team Members!

The electronics lockup isn't a place to stash go backs you don't want to push, pulls you don't want to push, repush you dont want to push, clearance you don't want to tag or push, PTM you don't want to flex, shippers you don't want to set, old signage you don't want to throw out, unused shelves you don't want to put away, or revisions you don't want to set or push.

The only thing that should be back there is true backstock. Thank you.

Learn how to use PDAs and mydevices. There are plenty to go around at night. Use a price checker to see if we have any in the back. Press "fill from stockroom" on mydevice, then let me know there is an exf. Chances are I have already pulled it. Don't tell me there is a my FA. I'm already knuckle deep picking it.

Softlines usually has a lot more reshop than hardlines. Try to picture the amount of clothes you would need to fill a shopping cart to the brim. Now picture three of those carts. That is how many unsorted reshop carts we typically get during a closing shift. And that's not even counting the clothes that people try on and put back on the fitting room rack.
If you work in hardlines, please don't be one of those TMs who teases us about how we haven't gotten all our reshop out yet. We do work on it, but it just never seems to end.

That every work center is a challenge now there is no easy one , if ever the word team work was needed at target its now but it can't happen when you dont respect the fact that every one has a job to get done and an ETL barking at you about getting it done ..

I wish it was understood that Starbucks isn't just fun and games, as a cashier said to me.

There's a lot of work to be done, and for hours at a time we are alone. Try helping a line of 10 guests when you're alone while running out of whipped cream, creme base, and Chai when there's no one around to help. Guests get angry and take it out on the one barista there.

Now, I love being in Starbucks. Over time, my team has learned to communicate and help one another, but other departments don't see how much work goes into a shift back there. We work hard, and I know not everyone sees it. It can get frustrating when your GSTL comes up to give you change and walks away while making a comment that she "wishes she could spend her time doing nothing like us."
@BaristaChick16 , as a SBTL, I get you completely.

FYI, we do more than serve drinks and deliver the Starbucks experience. With 120 hours, it is hard to get all of our cleaning routines done on a weekly basis. Take into account that we also have happy hour Mondays in March as well as 2 resets. It is damn near impossible to get these things done on 120 weekly. It would be nice for others to walk in our shoes...

I can be sypathetic to others, since I have worked in quite a few workcenters. But, I would love to stop hearing how easy I have it at Starbucks. Starbucks is not easy.

Just because something is labeled lip balm does not mean it is cosmetics. All of those little character lip balms? Either seasonal or softlines depending on the day. They are not my responsibility.

I stand in the same aisle almost all day? Yes, because a detailed zone in cosmetics is tedious and time-consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back