What should I do?

My experience right now is sort of a lot to talk about so I will try to summarize it. I applied to target recently and I got a message saying I got a job offer. I got an orientation date so I prepared all the documents in hand. What I didn't realize was that my work permit needed to be completely filled out. (Note: I am a student.) So I called HR a few days before, but they never answered. That was okay, after many attempts, I finally got a call the day before my orientation. The HR member who picked up my call really did sound understanding. I told her my situation, how I really wanted to go but I couldn't, and was hoping they could reschedule. (Note: A friend I have did this and she was able to get hers rescheduled because she had the same problem). She was fine with that but all the dates she could offer were either midday in my classes or still during Thanksgiving break. The reason I couldn't have my work permit completed was because I was out of school and they were closed until after the break. So I suggested if she could at least change it to Sunday so I can pick out a day I was able to participate in. She was okay with that and even told me she would call me the very next day. This was our plan. It never happened. The whole day I waited for her call, nothing. I tried calling HR again and when I finally managed to get my phone answered they were not in the store. So I called the next day, and I finally got someone to answer who was able to help me. Except, they said there was no change and unfortunately, my application was terminated for not showing up. Currently, I am very upset. They told me I could reapply, but even now as I stare at the candidate home page it won't let me because it says I already applied. What should I do? It wasn't my fault I couldn't show up because I was waiting to get that call and I was sure she kept her promise in changing it to Sunday. (Note: She never introduced herself so I do not know her name either) I could really use any advice.

Holy Wall Of Text Batman!

Just a suggestion but you are going to get a lot more cogent replies if you add a few breaks in your question.
I do give you points for punctuation and capitalization. Good work there.

My suggestion would be to type up a carefully worded letter with the information you just gave me with a heavy emphasis on how much you want to work.
Avoid sounding like you are desperate and make it clear you are not expecting special treatment.
Direct it to "To Whom It May Concern"
Then go into the store and ask to see the HR person.
Make it clear that it will only be for a minute or two.
You might not get to see them and will have to give the letter to someone else but do your best to get it to HR.
Be polite and professional.
Only take a few minutes to give them the letter, do not try to plead your case unless they say they have the time.
Good luck.

My experience right now is sort of a lot to talk about so I will try to summarize it. I applied to target recently and I got a message saying I got a job offer. I got an orientation date so I prepared all the documents in hand. What I didn't realize was that my work permit needed to be completely filled out. (Note: I am a student.) So I called HR a few days before, but they never answered. That was okay, after many attempts, I finally got a call the day before my orientation. The HR member who picked up my call really did sound understanding. I told her my situation, how I really wanted to go but I couldn't, and was hoping they could reschedule. (Note: A friend I have did this and she was able to get hers rescheduled because she had the same problem). She was fine with that but all the dates she could offer were either midday in my classes or still during Thanksgiving break. The reason I couldn't have my work permit completed was because I was out of school and they were closed until after the break. So I suggested if she could at least change it to Sunday so I can pick out a day I was able to participate in. She was okay with that and even told me she would call me the very next day. This was our plan. It never happened. The whole day I waited for her call, nothing. I tried calling HR again and when I finally managed to get my phone answered they were not in the store. So I called the next day, and I finally got someone to answer who was able to help me. Except, they said there was no change and unfortunately, my application was terminated for not showing up. Currently, I am very upset. They told me I could reapply, but even now as I stare at the candidate home page it won't let me because it says I already applied. What should I do? It wasn't my fault I couldn't show up because I was waiting to get that call and I was sure she kept her promise in changing it to Sunday. (Note: She never introduced herself so I do not know her name either) I could really use any advice.
So sorry. But to be completely honest, seasonal hires in hs are never kept after Christmas. There just aren’t any hours available in Jan -April for limited availabilities. Unless you’re related to someone that works there.

Just move on. The place sucks anyway.

So sorry. But to be completely honest, seasonal hires in hs are never kept after Christmas. There just aren’t any hours available in Jan -April for limited availabilities. Unless you’re related to someone that works there.

Just move on. The place sucks anyway.
Agree especially since you are a minor.

That being said if you do get a job at Target asked to be cross trained to do OPUs, Cashier, etc.

Last edited:
Not sure exactly how you don’t own this. Had your permit been up to date, you could have gone to the original orientation they offered you. Your documents were not in order, how is that anyone else’s fault? If you weren’t hired by Black Friday, they probably won’t need you now. By the time you would be trained, the season is over. Use this as a learning opportunity.

Back