Archived What to do if a guest stops you on your lunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a guest tries to ask you something when you are clocked out for lunch, what do you do?

Today I was on lunch and I went to go buy something during it. I had on a black shirt and red cardigan but took off the red cardigan so I wouldn't be bothered. I had it in my hand so apparently it was still obvious. I was walking fast, my phone in hand when a lady asks "do you work here?" I said "yes but I'm off the clock for lunch right now, sorry." (most people get the hint and find someone else) and she was like "uhh can I still ask???"(in a rude tone btw). And I said " sure but I honestly probably won't know the answer." I'm always up front cashiering I don't know the store too well, heck I habe trouble finding stuff too. she asked if we carry a specific item and I said "I don't know, I'm sorry, I'm always up front I don't know if we do or not." and that I didn't have a walkie or mydevice, when she got rude and said "well you should know, you work here" and then she was like "whatever you're off you don't care." I apologized and walked away I would have helped her find someone else to talk to but she was very rude. this made me so upset I didn't even buy what I wanted to, I went back to tsc and almost cried. It's been on my mind all day. I probably could have handled it better but that would have been working off the clock, and I was kind of in a rush. Why do people think us workers know all the billion things we sell by heart, sorry I wasn't given a list of our inventory.

I hope her electric cart died in the middle of the store.

Probably will never go out and buy anything on a break or lunch again, even if I'm starving to death.

That's why I pretend I'm on my phone when I'm walking to the break room or I carry chick fil a in my hand (there is a chick fil a and I eat there sometimes during lunch), people usually get the idea.

I wouldn't think to much of it. You were off the clock and you told her nicely you probably wouldn't know where something was since u work up front. She seemed in a pissed off mood to begin with, I also wouldnt let her stop you from getting something to eat.

If they ask me when I'm on my lunch I tell them where its at, if I don't know where it's at I tell them I'm sorry and I don't have a scanner on me because I'm on my lunch.
If they give me an attitude I just smile and walk away.

P.S. wear headphones, works like a charm.

One day I had clocked out, had my coat on, and was shopping. I was still stooped by 3 guests. I helped the first two, but I was getting annoyed and told the last one that I didn't work there, lol.

I've just done lately "sorry, I'm off the clock" and point out someone else to help them.

Generally I try to be helpful, not that you weren't. If I can't help them or if for some reason I'm really in a rush I just politely explain whatever to them briefly and point them towards someone if I can find a tm or a call box. If none of those are available / near I just apologize and attempt to point them to the next best option.

But to avoid those interactions I always carry my keys and/or phone in my hands when passing through the store on my time. I also really try to keep from making eye contact with people as I go - look down or focus on something to appear "occupied". If I don't I end up asking everyone if they need help / how they are doing / getting stopped.... I am constantly chatting up guests (more than most of my fellow tms) because of working somewhere previously where it was required & actually enforced (really small family business).

That being said I've never had anyone be too rude to me when I'm off the clock. I've even had guests let me clock back in really quickly when I'm coming back from a break if they catch me on the way to the clock - ie if I have to walk them to somewhere else or assist with getting something. However, if someone is rude I just stay as friendly and polite as possible, to kill them with my guest service vibe and basically talk & walk away. Not like there is much that can be done .... I'm not working. I wasn't rude. And most of the time , imo, if they are that mean/nasty to start you aren't going to change their attitude much either way. Complainers complain. I'm not a miracle worker - I'm a menial laborer at a major retail chain.....

Quote the movie Bad Santa. I believe the line is "I'm on my fucking lunch break".

Also, use your phone as a prop or carry an MP3 player and have headphones. The MP3 player doesn't even have to work. Just make it look like you're listening to music.

I was on my lunch with headphones on. I went to the restroom as a guest was calling for me. Pretended I didn't hear her. Was looking down at my phone anyways. Do my business and while I'm washing my hands this lady comes up to me like "hi! you probably didn't hear me cos u had headphones on" and I was just like.Oh. My. God. This lady fucking followed me into the restroom. And I told her yeah,,,,,I was on lunch. And she still asked me where to find an item.... I just....

But to avoid those interactions I always carry my keys and/or phone in my hands when passing through the store on my time. I also really try to keep from making eye contact with people as I go - look down or focus on something to appear "occupied".
I've had my purse over my arm, wearing a jacket, talking on my phone, not EVEN looking their way & they would STILL stop me to ask for help.
And they would STILL get pissed when I told them I was off the clock even when I called over an on-duty TM.
I always wanted to ask them where THEY worked so I could bug them while THEY are off-duty.
Now that I don't work there any more they don't bother me.

I've had my purse over my arm, wearing a jacket, talking on my phone, not EVEN looking their way & they would STILL stop me to ask for help.
And they would STILL get pissed when I told them I was off the clock even when I called over an on-duty TM.
I always wanted to ask them where THEY worked so I could bug them while THEY are off-duty.
Now that I don't work there any more they don't bother me.

this was me last week, i had a hoodie on, purse over me, and phone in hand, had just walked in for the day when a guy turned around and looked at me "oh you work here, where are the bikes?" before even attempting to look. I told him where because I knew and I wouldn't have to walk him to them.

If they ask me when I'm on my lunch I tell them where its at, if I don't know where it's at I tell them I'm sorry and I don't have a scanner on me because I'm on my lunch.
If they give me an attitude I just smile and walk away.

P.S. wear headphones, works like a charm.
I still get asked with headphones sometimes, but it's easy to ignore like you didn't hear them.

If its something simple ( where I can point them to where something is ) I will help them. However, if it requires me walking all over the store etc No, thank you. I will simply tell them I will get someone to help them.

Sometimes I wear big headphones too lol ($20 white sony we carry). Theyre not even always on. And I'm that asshole who sings along when wearing headphones so sometimes I sing and I think that gets the point across.

Sometimes without headphones I just keep walking and pretend I can't hear them.

If I do help, I'm not doing more than telling them what direction it's in or pointing to someone who is on the clock.

I ignored a customer one time and another time just said, sorry I'm off the clock, find someone else.

My Team Lead thought it was funny but told me to be prepared for a coaching if I got a complaint that reached an LOD. I mean, you're off the clock. If I had an LOD try to coach me for stuff off the clock, I am more than willing to say to their face that they have no control over what I do when I am not working.

You can point them to the nearest phone and tell them they can call another team member from there and let them know it should take less than a minute. I do this when I can't find a team member nearby.

But I also find it frustrating because I put on a sweater over my red shirt (although some red still peaks out), but I think it should be obvious that I'm not working because I've got my sweater on, I've got my purse, and normally my cell phone is out as well. Most people are very nice when I say I'm not on the clock. If they are nice and apologize then I normally try to help (unless it's going to take too long). But I've had a few people who have said "ohh well you can still help me". Those people have often need more help then just pointing to an area which is really annoying especially when I'm done with my shift and making my way to the doors so I can leave.

I probably could have handled it better

I think you handled it perfectly fine.
Don't let that stop you from shopping while on your break. You're already there and its way more efficient rather than coming back a different time in non-work clothes. Most of the time people are nice (at least in my experience) when you say you are on your break. I've only have a couple people expect me to work while off the clock and I've been at Target for a year.

Also she sounds like she had a bad attitude so even if you were able to help her I bet she would have been rude as well... you can't win with some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back