The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

I hate when a guest goes shopping before bringing their return up to the service desk just so they can have an excuse to checkout with me instead of at the front lanes. I rang up two $200 purchases (both transactions included tons of Dollar Spot Bullseye's Playground junk) back to back today due to this. I also hate when guests use the excuse "I don't want to walk all the way down there to check out" when there's no lanes open on blue side. Or they'll say "You don't have anyone in your line, so I'll give you something to do!" when I actually have plenty to do at the service desk. I could be scrambling around trying to get everything in organized, reshop sorted, defectives processed and where they belong, etc and I still have people say this to me!

I hate when a guest goes shopping before bringing their return up to the service desk just so they can have an excuse to checkout with me instead of at the front lanes. I rang up two $200 purchases (both transactions included tons of Dollar Spot Bullseye's Playground junk) back to back today due to this. I also hate when guests use the excuse "I don't want to walk all the way down there to check out" when there's no lanes open on blue side. Or they'll say "You don't have anyone in your line, so I'll give you something to do!" when I actually have plenty to do at the service desk. I could be scrambling around trying to get everything in organized, reshop sorted, defectives processed and where they belong, etc and I still have people say this to me!

I would always say "I don't have very good bagging facilities here, it will be least twice as fast for you to go check out at one of the checklanes. In fact, Register # is ready for you over there!" and that would usually work. Some people are just obnoxiously lazy though.

Guests who say "Oh! Must be free!" when their item isn't ringing up.

That joke wasn't funny the first time you said it. Chances are, it isn't going to be the thousandth time either!
Just say, "Or I could just multiply the price by the absurd number of times I've heard that joke, and you could make our sales for the month! Yayyy!"

Yeah, no. We have a hard and fast rule at the SD that it's 10 items or less. That's exactly what we say when a guest asks if they can be rung up at the desk with a cart full of stuff. And not only that, we usually have a line and that would be a huge inconvenience for the other guests. You're not a special snowflake. Get on the line up front. Sorry not sorry!

I am a GSTM as well and I hate that!! There is always something to do at the Service Desk.

I personally get kinda annoyed at TMs who reorganise my register when they're covering my break. Lunch is way longer so I'm more forgiving, but if you're gonna be there for 15 minutes dONT TOUCH

I have a nice system for my stuff that lets me work most efficiently, and it shouldn't affect your cashiering either.

It's no fun leaving everything nice and organised only to come back to the drawer looking like a tornado hit, or my gift cards in a different spot (I leave them in a certain position that lets me easily grab them without opening the drawer and or feeling around for them)

Just,,,,,,I beg u all

stop
This used to irritate me when I was cashiering. It's not that hard to just leave things where I have them. When I was doing breaks I never bothered with the registers I was working at.

I've been having a lot of cashier shifts lately. These happen a lot:
1. Chase stacking the front of the belt - you know when you're grabbing the nearest thing and the guest tosses / slams /stacks the next item on top of what you grabbed because there's a free space now? I guess they don't care that their paper goods are going in with the already condensated not-so-frozen food.
2. TARDIS babies - Somehow the guest managed to fit $250 worth of groceries under a baby carrier. HOW? I used to own a VW Bug and thought I was good at spacial awareness because of the trunk space.
3. "Hi, how are you today?" -- "I've got 5 of these." -- "That's great, I asked you how you were doing today, though."
4. And my personal favorite, it's $1 off everything day. Doesn't matter what it was, everything the guest bought is supposedly on sale because the sign said so. For a dollar off. Everything. Uh-huh.

This used to irritate me when I was cashiering. It's not that hard to just leave things where I have them. When I was doing breaks I never bothered with the registers I was working at.

This. When I go up for backup or to give breaks the only fussing about with the register I do is toss the speed slips the cashier left (strict do not leave speed slips when you leave the register policy) and put in for change.

The backroom TMs who like to wear a hat for a while before backstocking it. Or one time, a costume.

The brtl is a witch and won't bend policy at all. But wonders why her department has a high turn over

Guest unloads basket, I ring up and bag their items as they chat with their friend, then I inform them of total...

"HOW MUCH?!!"

I repeat total.

"How much was that one thing? What about this? How is it SO much?!"
Oh my god kill me.

Last edited:
I have a lot of fun responding to "Oh, it's free!" with a very firm, dry, frustrated "It's not free." like a parent pulling a child away from a set of Minecraft LEGO sets

Apart from that, my biggest peeve right now is all about chip cards and any guest who's like "I hate these things they take longer wasn't the chip supposed to do away with PINs altogether" and it's like NO, BUDDY, IT WASN'T, BECAUSE THAT WOULDN'T ACTUALLY BE SECURE, WOULD IT? YOU'RE SPENDING MORE TIME COMPLAINING ABOUT THE NEW TECHNOLOGY THAT YOU'RE TOTALLY WRONG ABOUT THAN IT TAKES FOR YOU TO TREAT IT EXACTLY LIKE YOUR OLD CARD WITH A NEW METHOD OF USAGE

I have a new one - Easter Edition!
Stop packing your entire goddamn purchase in an Easter basket! It doesn't help when I have to unpack it to scan all of it. Then I feel bad because I care too much and try to repack it the way you had it.

Back