Archived What to do if a guest stops you on your lunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ignored a customer one time and another time just said, sorry I'm off the clock, find someone else.

My Team Lead thought it was funny but told me to be prepared for a coaching if I got a complaint that reached an LOD. I mean, you're off the clock. If I had an LOD try to coach me for stuff off the clock, I am more than willing to say to their face that they have no control over what I do when I am not working.
I've always wondered if there were any repercussions for being """"rude"""" to a guest while off the clock like that. There are some days the sarcastic asshole in me wants to seep out, but I always bite my tongue.

I've always wondered if there were any repercussions for being """"rude"""" to a guest while off the clock like that. There are some days the sarcastic asshole in me wants to seep out, but I always bite my tongue.
I was on lunch one day using the photo kiosk and a guest asked for help. It wasn't a "where is..." question either. I politely told her I was on lunch and pointed to the GSA for her to go to. She ended up complaining to the STL who approached me later about it. He told me I should have helped her. Off the clock. I nodded and thought to myself nope.

Last edited:
I was on lunch one day using the photo kiosk and a guest asked for help. It wasn't a "where is..." question either. I told her I was on lunch and pointed to the GSA for her to go to. She ended up complaining to the STL who approached me later about it. He told me I should have helped her. Off the clock. I nodded and thought to myself nope.

Then make me salaried and I would be happy to, until then I can't. And smile that asshole smile..

There's no point in being rude about it. Tell them you're off the clock, politely, and say you'll see if you can find someone else to help them.

If they badger you, then rudeness becomes an option.

At the end of the day, they didn't know you were on break. How could they? You're in red and khaki at target. Expect questions. A minute of your day being nice to another person isn't going to kill you.

You should know that at Target, even being off the clock doesn't mean you have any freedom from those red bullseyed chains. I know I've read a story on here where a nosy ETL wrote a couple TMs up because she saw them at a bar. At 1am or some such time. On their days off. Because why not, right? You're a slave at work, might as well be a slave all the time.

Last edited:
There's no point in being rude about it. Tell them you're off the clock, politely, and say you'll see if you can find someone else to help them.

If they badger you, then rudeness becomes an option.

At the end of the day, they didn't know you were on break. How could they? You're in red and khaki at target. Expect questions. A minute of your day being nice to another person isn't going to kill you.

My time is just that mine. And a coat, purse are NOT subtle clues. Actually most of the time I red vest so I am not wearing anything spot. So umm I look like I am working? Yeah no. I am nice the first time, firm the second time and bitch mode the third time. I am not responsible for a guest not understanding that I am not working and their attitude about it. At that point I am a paying guest.

I just think it's funny when I am on break with a sweater on and phone out every person tries to ask me something...yet while I'm actually on the clock wearing a target logo shirt and khakis with equipment in hand a guest will ask me if i work there. Baffling really.

I have been out shopping at a retail store I don't even work at nor have I ever worked at and had a lady ask me to help her find the avocados. I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts, not even the company uniform. I'm guessing us retail folk have some kind of scent customers/guests can detect because that one truly baffled me.

I just think it's funny when I am on break with a sweater on and phone out every person tries to ask me something...yet while I'm actually on the clock wearing a target logo shirt and khakis with equipment in hand a guest will ask me if i work there. Baffling really.

Guest: "Excuse me, do you work here?"
Me: "No, I am just wearing red and Khaki."

I have days where I want to just say that. I have equipment on me, my NAME TAG and I am talking through the walkie often. Should be obvious! Questions like that makes me go WOW REALLY.

I have my headphones in and a sweater.

I tend to have my music on fairly loud so I can't hear people. This one time I was trying to figure out what drink I wanted
I could barely hear a guest trying to ask me something. I had a non-red sweater on.

I ignored her. My music is more important to me

"Lo siento, no hablo Inglés"

Lol that would never work at my store.

It's amazing what guests think. I sometimes buy a snack before I clock in. I have a messenger bag, my headphones in, and I'm usually texting or reading something on my phone. They still try to ask me things.

Every time

Fun Fact: I'm 1000000% sure that's Del Amo Fashion Center's (my hometown) old Food Court in that scene... RIP.... it's all flashy, shiny, and white now.

To be relevant to the question: I've had wallets in hand and obviously not red jackets on and namebadges on inside-out during our lunches, but my coworker and I have still been flagged down tons of time. If they're nice, I'll direct them in the right direction. If not, we'll flag down another TM and run away.

I was on lunch one day using the photo kiosk and a guest asked for help. It wasn't a "where is..." question either. I politely told her I was on lunch and pointed to the GSA for her to go to. She ended up complaining to the STL who approached me later about it. He told me I should have helped her. Off the clock. I nodded and thought to myself nope.

That's against the law since you were off the clock. I sure as hell wouldn't work for free.

I don't understand people that complain because an employee said they were off the clock. I'm sure those people wouldn't appreciate it if someone came up to them demanding they do their job on their personal time . How can someone be so entitled that they think someone should do work for them on their time off without being paid? They must think retail employees dont have lives outside of work.

Last edited:
I keep my head down and walk fast. If a guest does stop me, or asks me if I work here, I just say I am off the clock or "I do, but not right now." They STILL ask me where something is, so I just point them to it and move on. I haven't had any guest ask me a more difficult question yet. I'd probably just direct them to a red phone on a price check.

I also hate it when I do get asked something off the clock and then I say "im sorry I'm actually off the clock" then the guest is like oh I'm so sorry and then continues staring at me looking sad and confused like a lost puppy and then I get guilted into helping them anyways. I'm a sucker for puppies.

I'm not; I walk away.
If I were feeling nice, I'd flag down a TM.
I didn't always feel nice :mad:

Ugh. I had an ETL make me come off my lunch once to help someone at photo. Only since I couldn't clock back in, I worked for free. Damn department. I almost hope it has exploded since I left.

They're probably still dealing with the huge void you left :D

Ugh. I had an ETL make me come off my lunch once to help someone at photo. Only since I couldn't clock back in, I worked for free. Damn department. I almost hope it has exploded since I left.
Dude... They got that on camera knowing how many cams are around in Target. I would have looked up the work laws and retaliated as soon as it happened.

Sorry, dudette...

I also hate it when I do get asked something off the clock and then I say "im sorry I'm actually off the clock" then the guest is like oh I'm so sorry and then continues staring at me looking sad and confused like a lost puppy and then I get guilted into helping them anyways. I'm a sucker for puppies.

Sorry only my mom guilt trip works on me..

Ok doggie too.. But you? Nope.

I think I may have mentioned this before but onetime when I first started working at Target I had just gotten off work and was doing a little shopping when a guest asked me something. But as soon as the words were out of her mouth she looked at me and said, "You've got your purse on your arm, and you're off work shopping. I'm so sorry for bothering you.". But that's a rarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back