Archived What's taking them so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been two weeks and I am still waiting for my Orientation call. I have called twice and they were trying to figure out an evening time but come on now I am starting to feel aggravated and frustrated. :girl_sigh:

I, too, am awaiting that call, however I just submitted the drug test yesterday and they were trying to rush me in for the next Tuesday morning orientation class. I was informed, however, that the background check may take longer and I may have to wait until the 21st. We shall see. I would routinely call and be as respectful and tempered as possible when making your inquiry.

Thanks for the Reply. I took the drug test the day after my interview within the 24hr time frame. The last time I called, which was Tuesday this week they told me everything passed and all looked good, just trying to find a time for me and 3 other people to do our orientation. grr. :excited:

I took my test about two hours after my interview. I might call today to just show I'm eager to begin orientation.

It makes sense for them to want to do a mass orientation class. That is a few hours for a few employees, as opposed to a few hours PER employee.

I took my test about two hours after my interview. I might call today to just show I'm eager to begin orientation.

It makes sense for them to want to do a mass orientation class. That is a few hours for a few employees, as opposed to a few hours PER employee.

Its not that easy just throwing new TM's in an orientation just like magic.
Any vets wanna spit them some knowledge?

@Target2012: Perhaps they've yet to complete your background check, along with the other ones offered a position.

Its not that easy just throwing new TM's in an orientation just like magic.
Any vets wanna spit them some knowledge?

there's no magic involved, you watch videos for a couple hours, sign some sheets, and get a ten minute tour. Most stores have a dedicated HUMAN RESOURCES EXECUTIVE TEAM LEADER getting payed a lot of money for this kind of thing, as well as a clerical human resources person, i don't see why they can't orient people in a timely fashion.

I thought maybe they were waiting on something which they may be from the other newly hired people but the HR assistant told me that they had all my stuff in. I am just trying to be patient and wait. It just gets frustrating cause I am eager to get started and excited.

I interviewed at my first store. Then was given a provisional job offer as long as I passed my drug test. Passed it. And I was back at the store for orientation within a week.

The hard part for some stores is that they have to bank or reallocate hours for training in order to do an orientation.

I waited nearly a month from the time I was interviewed until I had orientation. They provisionally hired someone else right after me, waited for their results, they didn't pass, then they just sort of sat around for a while and finally decided they should just do it with me alone. Then they hired someone else last second, so they went from interview to orientation in less than a week. It's sort of a craps shoot.

It depends on how many other folks are to do the orientation too. Like others have said, background, drug tests, can take longer.

Carts, just hit the edit button to remove the quote.

It depends on how many other folks are to do the orientation too. Like others have said, background, drug tests, can take longer.

Carts, just hit the edit button to remove the quote.

That's the thing no edit button on the mobile version of this forum. Or I cant find it.

:thank_you2:Thanks everyone for all your responses. I am glad I can come here and get information when I need it or just an ear to listen. :excited:

:thank_you2:Thanks everyone for all your responses. I am glad I can come here and get information when I need it or just an ear to listen. :excited:

No problem! Search our threads under search for answers. We are here to learn, teach, & vent a little.

just some support here - I do the orientations in my building and I work only a couple of days a week. My schedule may conflict with your availability, or I may have other responsibilities so we may have to hold off. Also, we are awaiting others results as well and must arrange their availability with yours. We may also be trying to find the hours to give you to - since we aren't making sales it's hard. We still need you - it's not personal at all. Just trying to make it all come together. When we do an orientation, we are giving you your schedule for the next couple of weeks - I need to be sure we have those hours to give you to work.

It's a process - sorry - please don't think we are slighting you - it's not intentional at all.

I usually try to call those who are awaiting orientation just to reassure them we haven't forgotten you.

It depends. Sometimes you get lucky and we have a couple of new TMs ready to start for an orientation and we can get it going in a week after the STL approves the extra hours being allocated for orientation. Sometimes...it takes longer. Sometimes the background check takes longer than expected, sometimes payroll is tight that week and we have to hold off on orientation until the following week, etc.

I always got nervous when I saw a large orientation group because I knew in a matter of days I'd get 9-11 trainees (usually on a weekend) to put through cashier training & my training packets were usually trashed from the last go-round.
I'd start 3-4 on training registers, then move them to TMSC to use the terminals for their alcohol quizes while getting the next group set up on registers. As the first group got paired up with peer trainers & the second group moved to the terminals, I'd start up the third group. By the time the forth group queued up, I was running through the "Check for Understanding" with group one & getting their papers signed. Group two was paired up with peers & group three was going through their quiz. It was like Flamenco dancing through a snake pit but I kept them on the move. I coordinated all the front-end training when our sister store opened up a few yrs back.

I always got nervous when I saw a large orientation group because I knew in a matter of days I'd get 9-11 trainees (usually on a weekend) to put through cashier training & my training packets were usually trashed from the last go-round.
I'd start 3-4 on training registers, then move them to TMSC to use the terminals for their alcohol quizes while getting the next group set up on registers. As the first group got paired up with peer trainers & the second group moved to the terminals, I'd start up the third group. By the time the forth group queued up, I was running through the "Check for Understanding" with group one & getting their papers signed. Group two was paired up with peers & group three was going through their quiz. It was like Flamenco dancing through a snake pit but I kept them on the move. I coordinated all the front-end training when our sister store opened up a few yrs back.

Just a few days ago I figured out how to setup new C.A's for there Quizzes so the GSTL didnt have too. Its a pain making sure all your trainees have everything they need when you have so many.

At this time of year some stores are having to deal with summer college students and their final days before going back to school.....this may have been another possible reason for the delay in orientation.

Just a couple of weeks ago our front end was completely staffed and all TMs were trained.....so things should have been good. However, one GS TM put in her 2 weeks notice that she would be retiring from Target. The main TM in photo had to leave because her husband got transferred to a new military base. One girl got a new job. And another one got a new job, but she still works on the weekend. In a matter of a few days we lost most of GS people.....and add to that we just got a new LOD Guest Experience/Softlines person. So, in no time at all our front end fell apart and it meant that our HR dept had to do some quick hiring for the front end. So people that may have been hired in had to wait until a new group of TMs could get found to learn GS.

As you can see, there are a number of reasons why your orientation hasn't been set-up.

We have had orientation sessions in our store with only one new TM.

We have had orientation sessions in our store with only one new TM.

Ugh, I never liked it when I had to do a one-on-one orientation. It always felt like a waste of my limited weekly hours, and really inefficient. My favorite orientations were the ones with 10+ people. It felt much more productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back