Archived When/what to report to AP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My main question might be more of a police situation, but figured I’d ask the other AP questions I’ve always wondered about now too...

1- A few weeks ago I noticed two men acting kinda sketchy deciding which registers to go to.
They split up and one goes to SCO and the other to my express lane. Both the sketchy guys had a couple random cheap items and then thousands of dollars in visa GCs they were trying to buy. Both cards denied. Then each of them had other credit cards to try...all denied. Eventually they each left (separately, saying they were going outside to call their bank..).
Anyway, last night I was watching the local news and literally see one of the guys on it in a mugshot. He and his 2 colleagues were arrested for burglary. I googled it and found a mugshot of one of the other guys...sure enough it’s the same other guy from the sketchy credit card thing a few weeks ago.
So basically these guys tried to use stolen CCs at my store but they didn’t work, then the guys are arrested for way more serious charges. Any use in me reporting this situation to AP or to police? I don’t remember the exact date so might mean reviewing weeks of video to find guys who technically didn’t commit any crime at my store at least...

2- would AP like us to alert them when we see someone acting a little sketchy or wait until they’ve actually done something?

3- If there is no AP at the time and we witness someone pocketing an item...we just don’t do anything whatsoever? (Of course I let my TL know but they basically say oh well sucks we don’t have an AP on).

4- is there anything else I can do? Feel like AP is a losing battle at my store. Anything I can do, lmk! Just sucks trying to help and not being able to.

All AP Teams are different

1- The most you really can do is guest service, it's hard to ask for ID at self checkout. Most these people are professionals as On6 (APS) said. But it depends on the AP Team, my old ETL-AP had my check for a ID when they came to electronics (not even such a huge purchase, just 1 visa) and I told him it was definitely not them and he called a detective down the road to arrest them for attempted guard fraud.

2- Sketchy. You can't actually see when someone does something. You can tell by a persons behavior, what they bring (reusable bags/backpacks), way they dress, item selection. If your know enough, then you can call them out - don't call every single person out you see and waste your AP teams time. Make good judgement.

3- Depends on this. If you know they're 10000% sure they're stealing it, guest service them. A guy the other day at store open pushed off the spider wrap (the newer, old crappy ones that barely tighten) and ripped the box open and I just asked him straight up give me the phone back. Never, ever ever accuse stealing. TPS (AP team) isn't even supposed to accuse of stealing.

4- As an electronics TM, i've seen many many thefts and help the AP team with PMRs. I've also done some bad things, but i keep merch protection on a high level. Guest service, make your presence known, but also what I do is when i know the APS/ETL-AP are working as I'm working, I don't guest service (like pressuring) because i don't want to scare them and it doesn't count for anything. If i don't know AP is there, ill make some BS conversation up. Came 3 times to a guy in mobile accessories next to portable chargers (high theft area) and got him to ditch a watch but he stole a portable charger *facepalm* Sketchy people, call them out. Person grabbing multiples of items, high theft items (such as camping gear, bike stuff, air mattresses - essentially what a homeless person would need), mobile phone accessories, etc.) carrying big bags, reusable bags, stuff like that. I keep up on reddit.com/r/shoplifting just for a read everyday and learn there tactics there. I'm not an AP TM, but hoping one day i've finally decided i wanted to be involved in that field.

Thanks for the thorough response!! Guess how I handle the situation mostly depends on whether we have AP working at the time. That actually makes a lot of sense and I can just check the daily breakout to see if they’re around so I’ll know whether to call for them or guest service the sketchy guest. I like that better than “ummm I’m pretty sure that guy is stealing something...should I do something?!?!?”.

Lol I also follow the shoplifting reddit. Stumbled upon it by accident once and couldn’t stop reading! Guess I can blame my paranoia about theft now on that.

1. For me, I appreciate when the team member has a suspend slip to make it easier to find the transaction. Target has agreements with the CC companies to not check IDs and I believe we can be fined if we do. As far as reporting your incident, your AP team has probably already been contacted by the victim or the detective working the case.

2. If I don't have someone apprehension certified working with me I'd rather be contacted as soon as possible so I can hopefully deter them before they do something. If apprehensions can happen that day, either works since chances are we're already watching that person.

3. If you're 100% positive AP isn't there that day, you can guest service. Be really specific, such as mentioning you were thinking about buying said item. Don't approach the person if you think they might have used a weapon to get the merchandise.

4. The hardest part of spotting people is letting go of preconceived notions. Everyone steals, no matter the race, way they dress, or how much contact they have with others in the store. Never try to intervene during an apprehension, and don't start a conversation with your APS unless they approach you first.

Suspend slip is perfect for my first scenario, kinda feel dumb I didn’t think of that now. Next time!

I have walkied APS when I have seen someone I thought was acting sketchy. Many times they were already watching them before I noticed lol. Other times not and have ended up apprehending. To me it can’t hurt to tip them off if you see something, they have never brushed me off when I’ve shared my observations with them. If I’ve been on the fence about telling them something, I always do just to make sure they can look into something if need be.

Very true about everyone steals. They caught a younger teenage girl stealing a pop socket the other day. When her dad arrived to pick her up, you could tell they were probably an upper middle class family and he was livid. Probably more embarrassed than anything.

Something our ETL-AP has stressed several times to the GS team is making sure you are on top of things if you are working SCO. Speaking to every guest and setting the tone that you are there and you are watching. It’s frustrating when SCO just stands there in the same place and only moves to respond to a blinker. If I’m covering it, I’m walking back and forth constantly, talking to guests. If I don’t have any using SCO, I will go try to persuade some that are waiting in the regular lanes to try it. It’s fun teaching little old ladies how to use it. Lol

I report everything no matter how stupid or small then let AP decide. Get your GSTL involved and give them as much information as possible. I hate it when something happens and my cashiers were like "You were busy or I didn't know where you were" but I didn't see you try to get a hold of me either.

3- If there is no AP at the time and we witness someone pocketing an item...we just don’t do anything whatsoever? (Of course I let my TL know but they basically say oh well sucks we don’t have an AP on).

Best thing you can do is take note of the location and time and leave AP a note theu can review footage.

One of our fitting room girls always loves to tell our ap people stole on his day off but she offers no details.

Your job is to observe and report let them investigate.

keep note of the time and date and remember details report it to AP and let them make the call. I found a few thousand dollars worth in counterfeit $100 dollar bills and AP got pictures from the cameras and got them arrested.

There was a redwire today they are now offering 100 dollar gift cards to people who provide tips on external theft that lead to an arrest with over 1000 of recovered merchandise.

Anytime I see anything that doesn’t seem right I will walkie AP and explain just to give them a heads up. Sometimes in SCO if someone is buying a super big or high dollar item (something that doesn’t make sense to go through SCO with) I’ll tell AP so they can stand by the door and receipt check them once they’re done. I once did this with someone buying a fridge (who goes through SCO with something that awkward and big?) and when his receipt was checked it turns out he put a barcode sticker from a plastic cup over the fridge barcode. Tried to pay $3 for a fridge.

Another time I used the bathroom and was washing my hands when someone came in with a bunch of clothes and was ripping the tags off (this was during jeans month so I was wearing jeans with a normal shirt since my vest was in my locker so I didn’t look like an employee) so I told AP and they waited for her outside the bathroom and asked for the clothes back.

Long story short just trust your gut and if something seems off it’s probably because it is.

Sometimes in SCO if someone is buying a super big or high dollar item (something that doesn’t make sense to go through SCO with) I’ll tell AP so they can stand by the door and receipt check them once they’re done.

Does AP really want to be contacted every time someone goes through SCO with an expensive item?? If they have an expensive item like electronic or vacuum or mixer, then it usually has spider wrap on it..
With the TV situation, do you call AP as soon as someone comes up to SCO with a non-spider TV? Just feel like the people who are stealing. TVs without spiders wouldn’t even bother with SCO..

I actually don’t think ive ever seen anyone go through SCO with a tv since they have to be purchased at electronics or GS at my store. But not really every single expensive thing, just something that doesn’t make sense to go through SCO with

Does AP really want to be contacted every time someone goes through SCO with an expensive item?? If they have an expensive item like electronic or vacuum or mixer, then it usually has spider wrap on it..
With the TV situation, do you call AP as soon as someone comes up to SCO with a non-spider TV? Just feel like the people who are stealing. TVs without spiders wouldn’t even bother with SCO..

You’d be surprised at what people attempt to conceal at SCO.

Our AP wants to be contacted if a guest was acting weirdly or we caught them concealing or they throw a fit at SCO when we try to help them.

You’d be surprised at what people attempt to conceal at SCO.

Our AP wants to be contacted if a guest was acting weirdly or we caught them concealing or they throw a fit at SCO when we try to help them.
Oh gosh our AP would be overwhelmed if we told every SCO attendant to let them know about every sketchy guest

All AP Teams are different

1- The most you really can do is guest service, it's hard to ask for ID at self checkout. Most these people are professionals as On6 (APS) said. But it depends on the AP Team, my old ETL-AP had my check for a ID when they came to electronics (not even such a huge purchase, just 1 visa) and I told him it was definitely not them and he called a detective down the road to arrest them for attempted guard fraud.

2- Sketchy. You can't actually see when someone does something. You can tell by a persons behavior, what they bring (reusable bags/backpacks), way they dress, item selection. If your know enough, then you can call them out - don't call every single person out you see and waste your AP teams time. Make good judgement.

3- Depends on this. If you know they're 10000% sure they're stealing it, guest service them. A guy the other day at store open pushed off the spider wrap (the newer, old crappy ones that barely tighten) and ripped the box open and I just asked him straight up give me the phone back. Never, ever ever accuse stealing. TPS (AP team) isn't even supposed to accuse of stealing.

4- As an electronics TM, i've seen many many thefts and help the AP team with PMRs. I've also done some bad things, but i keep merch protection on a high level. Guest service, make your presence known, but also what I do is when i know the APS/ETL-AP are working as I'm working, I don't guest service (like pressuring) because i don't want to scare them and it doesn't count for anything. If i don't know AP is there, ill make some BS conversation up. Came 3 times to a guy in mobile accessories next to portable chargers (high theft area) and got him to ditch a watch but he stole a portable charger *facepalm* Sketchy people, call them out. Person grabbing multiples of items, high theft items (such as camping gear, bike stuff, air mattresses - essentially what a homeless person would need), mobile phone accessories, etc.) carrying big bags, reusable bags, stuff like that. I keep up on reddit.com/r/shoplifting just for a read everyday and learn there tactics there. I'm not an AP TM, but hoping one day i've finally decided i wanted to be involved in that field.

Before you do this, call for Hardlines Four. I only ever guest service on suspicion, not if I know it is actual theft. I assume, most thieves in a retail store are trying to fuel a drug habit, which means they could make a bad decision, and then you get hurt.

Anytime I see anything that doesn’t seem right I will walkie AP and explain just to give them a heads up. Sometimes in SCO if someone is buying a super big or high dollar item (something that doesn’t make sense to go through SCO with) I’ll tell AP so they can stand by the door and receipt check them once they’re done. I once did this with someone buying a fridge (who goes through SCO with something that awkward and big?) and when his receipt was checked it turns out he put a barcode sticker from a plastic cup over the fridge barcode. Tried to pay $3 for a fridge.

Another time I used the bathroom and was washing my hands when someone came in with a bunch of clothes and was ripping the tags off (this was during jeans month so I was wearing jeans with a normal shirt since my vest was in my locker so I didn’t look like an employee) so I told AP and they waited for her outside the bathroom and asked for the clothes back.

Long story short just trust your gut and if something seems off it’s probably because it is.

At SCO, I generally scan larger/more expensive items for the guest on the premise of helping them out. ("Oh, you can leave that in your cart and I'll help you scan it!") Most of the time they're grateful that they didn't have to lift it out of the cart, and if they have an issue with me scanning the item for them it's an instant red flag for me. Plus I can look at the screen and make sure that they didn't switch out any barcodes or anything. My store is in a really nice neighborhood and is low AP risk so these issues don't come up very often. (We didn't even have ANYONE in AP for the longest time anyway)

Question regarding reusuable bags. Are they allowed to use it as a basket? I see people put their merch in there all the time, but not sure if they are stealing or just using it to hold their stuff.

I use my shopping bag as a basket all the time. Helps to keep me from buying more than I can haul up three flights of stairs in a single trip, because my lungs can't tolerate multiple runs.

I would say if you do that, you need to be really obvious about it, and really obvious about taking everything out of it, shaking it for the monitors, etc. to make it super clear that you're not trying to pull anything.

And if anyone calls you on it and offers a basket...take the basket. I can see how it would be easier and more convenient to use your bag as both a shopping bag and to take stuff home, but it's also understandable that TMs/AP will not be comfortable with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back