COVID-19 Who asked if we would be willing to take the risks vital in keeping the community supplied

Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar’s husband is in the hospital with COVID-19. She said that John started to feel sick … and like so many others who had the disease, he thought it was just a cold. Yet he immediately quarantined himself in case and stopped going to his job teaching in Baltimore. She goes on to say that, “If my husband hadn’t did what he did - he literally went into the apartment and never left except to get groceries and was very careful - I think a lot of other people would have gotten sick from him.”

It wasn’t safe for him to be in public yet it was safe for him to go to the grocery store because grocery store workers are providing a community service and thus work there knowing the risks in the same way as a soldier in battle would, or a nurse on the front lines, or like those scuba divers who rescued the soccer team of children in a deep cave. - my hiring manager never mentioned that I would be required to take such serious risks - serious risks that could jeopardize my health as I provide community service in the time of a dangerous pandemic - and my job description does not give even a hint that I am an employee of an essential business that is vital in keeping the community supplied – and for them to put me in that position as if I am required to do so – as if that is expected of me – without asking me if that is alright with me – is plain and simple just ignorant and wrong of them. I am angry at the world around me.

Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar’s husband is in the hospital with COVID-19. She said that John started to feel sick … and like so many others who had the disease, he thought it was just a cold. Yet he immediately quarantined himself in case and stopped going to his job teaching in Baltimore. She goes on to say that, “If my husband hadn’t did what he did - he literally went into the apartment and never left except to get groceries and was very careful - I think a lot of other people would have gotten sick from him.”

It wasn’t safe for him to be in public yet it was safe for him to go to the grocery store because grocery store workers are providing a community service and thus work there knowing the risks in the same way as a soldier in battle would, or a nurse on the front lines, or like those scuba divers who rescued the soccer team of children in a deep cave. - my hiring manager never mentioned that I would be required to take such serious risks - serious risks that could jeopardize my health as I provide community service in the time of a dangerous pandemic - and my job description does not give even a hint that I am an employee of an essential business that is vital in keeping the community supplied – and for them to put me in that position as if I am required to do so – as if that is expected of me – without asking me if that is alright with me – is plain and simple just ignorant and wrong of them. I am angry at the world around me.
You don't have to work at Target if you don't want to work. By your coming to work you are agreeing to put yourself in danger. Quit when you want.

How likely is backlash/retribution for putting yourself and your family first instead of taking the risk and being a team player ?

No one is holding you hostage there. That's the asking. You're not being treated any differently than gas station attendants, veterinarians, car mechanics, workers at a pig slaughterhouse and long haul truckers. Think they were asked?

You have steady work right now, but yes there are nasty illness concerns. You can minimize your immediate exposure (since we all are probably going to get sick at some point) but doing so means leaving your job. You can't have it both ways, working and without immediate risk.

My impression is that Target is currently very understanding if you need to take an LOA. If you are in a state which mandates sick leave, you are allowed to use it without being second-guessed at this time. We are in a national (and international) crisis. Nobody knows how long this will last, and whether our economy will crater into a very serious recession. I have to admit that every day I go in for a shift, I'm worried. The health risk seems to be less worrisome for teammates who are young - ages 30 and under - but the risk can affect any of us.

Yeah, there are many TMs at my store, including my TL, who don't seem overly concerned, or even concerned at all about this. They are laughing and joking and not practicing social distancing. I don't get it. I find it bizarre, actually.

I'm considering using sick time and then taking an LOA. I'm off today, and scheduled over 30 hours this week - have some thinking to do.

Oh I've talked and laughed with fellow TMs as well, of course. It's more the huddling up next to each other, watching videos on their phones and whooping it up over dumb stuff that I'm referring to.

I understand what the OP means about being angry at the world around them. Those that seem to not understand or care about what's happening are part of the problem.

Can anyone confirm that we are allowed to use sick time to stay out ? I am not sick, just scared and anxious. Will NOT lie like I’ve heard others say “I wasn’t feeling well, I want to use my sick time”.
Am I out of luck simply because I cannot lie ?

Can anyone confirm that we are allowed to use sick time to stay out ? I am not sick, just scared and anxious. Will NOT lie like I’ve heard others say “I wasn’t feeling well, I want to use my sick time”. Am I out of luck simply because I cannot lie ?
ASANTS. At our store, TMs calling out were thanked by the LOD for not coming in sick, and specifically asked if the TM wanted to use sick leave. This might also be because our State's Labor and Industries Dept. has been firmly advising companies not to deny sick leave requests during this crisis. I honestly can't answer the issue of "just scared and anxious". You can call out and NOT claim sick leave, you won't be penalized for calling out. My impression is a lot of our callouts right now are just what you said, particularly TMs with second jobs or younger TMs who are living at home with their parents who are more anxious than their kids about COVID-19. That's what I'm observing. ASANTS.

At my store you can’t simply lie that you are sick. They are asking for a doctor’s note to go back to work.
Where I'm at in the Seattle area, it's almost impossible to actually get an appointment in a doctor's office. If you call your clinic, they will take notes and have a nurse call back later and walk you through treatment options. Clinics and hospitals want to avoid, as much as possible, having sick people from coming in and possibly infecting others who are higher-risk or who are being treated for other conditions. Maybe it's also government regulations around sick leave here in Washington during this emergency are much more strict than in other states. My impression is that Target does not want to force TMs to work if they are sick or contagious. ASANTS.

Where I'm at in the Seattle area, it's almost impossible to actually get an appointment in a doctor's office. If you call your clinic, they will take notes and have a nurse call back later and walk you through treatment options. Clinics and hospitals want to avoid, as much as possible, having sick people from coming in and possibly infecting others who are higher-risk or who are being treated for other conditions. Maybe it's also government regulations around sick leave here in Washington during this emergency are much more strict than in other states. My impression is that Target does not want to force TMs to work if they are sick or contagious. ASANTS.
Here also we can call clinic and doctor will call us back with instructions. They are ready to provide a sick note too in whichever way you prefer. But no visits, for low risk cases.

I’ve been at TSC when HR TELLS certain tm’s “I’ll put sick time in for your shift yesterday” and a minute later ask another tm “you called out, were you really sick ?”
That is infuriating. People should be able to call out and use their earned sick time without question. I am a stickler when it comes to attendance, and not much bugs me more than those who abuse the system, but come ON. These are not normal times, folks. I'm honestly surprised at the number of TMs who are still showing up for work.

I don't have a problem with continuing to work because TMs are my store ARE taking this seriously. We're maintaining some social distance, although it's not always 6 feet. (Guests are more of a problem on that point.) Several TMs are on LOA because of this. I know that at least 1 called off for Sunday's ad set shift because I was standing next to the SD when she took the call (not coronavirus - TM was vomiting, also a very good reason to stay home).
Everyone needs to do what's right for them. Now that my state has a shelter-in-place order, the store was pretty quiet today. Almost like working an overnight shift. I suspect this is how it'll continue for the next few weeks until the order is lifted.

I’m not going to work since few days as I had fever and cold . My HR said me to keep them updated. Now I feel alright and called them to update that I’m ok now and will be back soon. Then she asked me if I could give a doctor’s note. I told I’ll ask and let them know. Thankfully my doctor did have a note even though we had only phone communication. I don’t know may be they wanted to be sure if I’m not having any illness before I go back to work.

I just gotta say, your doctor providing a back to work note without seeing you is a little scary. For a lot of people COVID-19 can resemble the common cold with a fever attached. Please tell me that you were given a test to rule it out at some point.

I just gotta say, your doctor providing a back to work note without seeing you is a little scary. For a lot of people COVID-19 can resemble the common cold with a fever attached. Please tell me that you were given a test to rule it out at some point.
He asked me to stay home and see how the symptoms are improving or developing. My fever was gone in 2 days and still had runny nose for 1-2 days. Now there is nothing . I called him 2-3 times in these days. I was ready to go and see him if they wanted. But he told he will give a note saying there is no symptoms as of this date. I accepted it as they are not letting anyone without high risk for a in office visit.

Back