Archived Why are bosses clueless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I catch the same kind of flak on flow. After I finish bowling everything out, I typically start working plastics and baby stuff off the floor. In my store, those sections in particular get super messed up every day after I leave, as if someone decided to rearrange half the items on the shelves into incorrect locations, or someone else just put way too much of some items on the shelf, affecting the number of facing items for adjacent products and just generally making the areas look like crap.

So I fix them. I match up UPCs on items with the tags on the shelves, put the correct number of facing items in the right places, double check for second locations on endcaps, and I put items that do not fit on an appropriate vehicle to take to the backroom when I'm finished. While I'm doing those things, correcting someone else's mistakes instead of just leaving the area messed up, my TL or ETL will often come by and grill me about why there's still boxes on the floor and why I'm screwing around instead of doing my job. Guhh. I thought part of doing my job was making sure shelves are properly stocked instead of incorrectly flexed to shit. My bad. It'd be done much sooner if I didn't have to fix others' numerous mistakes every single day.

Welcome to my world. You are one of people I would defend to the death. But instead I get stuck with the ones that push everything out hiding boxes behind other shoes two valleys over. Why? There is to much in the back to be back stocked so the back stock guys/girls told the pushers to "not bring anything back".

But its fine for me to take two hours to research shoes pulling out a full tub and a one or two shopping carts to go to back stock every other day? And getting a full tub of shoes to go out to fill all the holes I created pulling stuff that shouldn't be there.

I get that all the time as GSA. There are times when I open and the opening LOD will say to me, "I need you to double check the candy cart and get that off the floor before we open, the front lanes need to be zoned right away (even though I have no guest services person for an hour or so...so I'm tied to guest services) and one spot needs to be zoned by 8:30." When they get that absurd with me, I repeat back everything they asked, point out my own tasks that I need to do, and ask them to help me prioritize. When they hear what they've asked of me to do all at the exact same time, they usually help come up with a plan that's a bit more doable.

Not all bosses of course. Here was the situation:

I am given the baby food POG at 6am. It is an 8.5 hour transition. My team lead knew I had to leave at 1:30 to avoid going into OT. I reminded her anyway. She said that after lunch, she would be over to help finish. All is good.

So, I get started. Tie in. Batch labels. Put in the pull. Get cleaning supplies. And I dive in hard.

I'm cleaning and adding new dividers. Moving biter biscuits. AND checking dates.

And then the hammer drops. Here comes my ETL. A nice enough guy.

He says ... How's it going? I say ... Fine. Moving baby food.
He ... Well, Dena (the tl) may not be able to come help you, so I need you to get this done by noon so that we aren't behind. Me ... Oh, I'll try. He ... Make it happen, okay?

I won't go into the frustration I felt right then. Whatever.

So, noon rolls around. I am literally on the floor cleaning the back of a basedeck. Something had spilled back there. Probably years ago. There is all kinds of stuff on the floor. Baby food jars with no wrappers. Old signs that had fallen. Outdated baby food.

Up walks the same ETL. Mind you, I've been in communication with my tl during the morning. She knew the situation and where I was at.

He says ... Are you finished?

All I could do was look at him. What I wanted to say is ... What about this picture says "finished" to you? Name three things that shows how "unfinished" I am.

Clueless. It made all the work I did seem worthless.

Meanwhile, I had to go up for backup cashiering 3 times. Watch electronics once.

But none of that matters. Neither, apparently, does doing a good job. Only, making it happen. Getting it done.

I cant agree more. Drives me crazy when they act like I was lazy or moving slow when I didnt zone the entire Market Section, Do all the pulls, guest service, backup cashier, Do meat coupons + cull, Reshop, collect an entire cart of reshop and work out half a cart more while zoning, working huddle...all in my 5 or so hour closing shift...

Nevermind the fact that we didnt have anyone closing Monday or Tuesday, constantly get pulled to help out other workcenters (opening PA had to do GSTL after Lunch), and lately we have actually had 2 hours or so between opening and closing shifts when nobody is in market.

OH and the best thing...Having literally 4 people scheduled all day in Hardlines and Softlines combined!!!!

Maybe they aren't clueless. Just overwhelmed. I mean a lot of times it's just one ETL or maybe two in the building. Then again, I have had a few ETLs that weren't the best or brightest.

Maybe they aren't clueless. Just overwhelmed.

That's definitely possible. I have no idea what else my bosses are responsible for beyond directing the team around the store as needed. Two ETLs ago, virtually everyone on Flow hated the bossman because he was particularly demanding. I always tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he had some kind of pressure on him from upper management.

Sometimes, though, he was just asking for the impossible. "Hey, OopsChargeback, I need you to bowl out all of chemicals, housewares, and pets before break," and he'd routinely do this to me with 15 minutes until breaktime and there with at least five full pallets in each section. And he usually send the other bowlers to start working market off the floor, so I was all by my lonesome. Yeah, that's reasonable. Pffft.

There is a difference between overwhelmed and clueless.

As a manager, and here I mean any management position in the company, it is your job to manage the workload of those under you. The workload should be doable. Otherwise, you are overwhelming your team.

Clueless is not knowing how to do this.

That is management. Like it or not. Don't hand me work that I can't finish and act like I can.

I get that anyone in any position can be overwhelmed. But as a leader, it is the responsibility you have taken on, willingly, to lead and manage your team.

Part of being a good worker means thinking of alternative ways to accomplish challenges, and working efficiently to complete multiple tasks on time.

Part of being a good manager is knowing whether the workload you've assigned your subordinates is POSSIBLE. I've had TMs look at me like they thought I was clueless for what I was asking them to do -- they were just incapable of completing something that I already knew could be completed because I've done it before.

The TMs on my team that were the best, I would always ask them to do more than I thought was possible, and sometimes I was pleasantly surprised that they found a way to get it all done. Usually they would say "I'll try my best to get that all done, and keep you updated", or something to that nature. If they didn't finish, I usually wouldn't make a big deal of it since they would usually come close; and they were always good communicators on what was accomplished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of being a good worker means thinking of alternative ways to accomplish challenges, and working efficiently to complete multiple tasks on time.

Part of being a good manager is knowing whether the workload you've assigned your subordinates is POSSIBLE. I've had TMs look at me like they thought I was clueless for what I was asking them to do -- they were just incapable of completing something that I already knew could be completed because I've done it before.

The TMs on my team that were the best, I would always ask them to do more than I thought was possible, and sometimes I was pleasantly surprised that they found a way to get it all done. Usually they would say "I'll try my best to get that all done, and keep you updated", or something to that nature. If they didn't finish, I usually wouldn't make a big deal of it since they would usually come close; and they were always good communicators on what was accomplished.

I disagree. My job is not to come up with ALTERNATIVE ways to accomplish a task. My job is to follow best practices and my supervisors directions.

The problem in this situation is that I have far more experience than either my tl or etl. I was given an unachievable goal. When I expressed my opinion about way I believe it is unachievable, I'm told to simply "make it happen." When I ask how, I'm answered with silence.

Unfortunately, I actually still have a nugget of morality left in me. I can't just blindly move baby food without looking at the dates. Or clean.

I disagree. My job is not to come up with ALTERNATIVE ways to accomplish a task. My job is to follow best practices and my supervisors directions.

The problem in this situation is that I have far more experience than either my tl or etl. I was given an unachievable goal. When I expressed my opinion about way I believe it is unachievable, I'm told to simply "make it happen." When I ask how, I'm answered with silence.

Unfortunately, I actually still have a nugget of morality left in me. I can't just blindly move baby food without looking at the dates. Or clean.
@waterspout, you do as much as you can do, as fast as you can do it. If you job is not to find a way to get it done, you ask how and they are silent, I'm almost positive they are thinking - well if you can't figure it out, then maybe you aren't right for the job. When most people say how, they want someone to show them or do the job for them. Maybe it's not what you were asking of them, but I'm pretty sure that is how they heard it.

No, as an adult, when I ask how, that is what mean. No more, no less.

I'm handed a baby food pog that is supposed to take 8.5 hours, which in my experience, is already not doable. Demerchandise, clean, reset, do the pull, and push.

Then I'm told, get it done in 6 hours by an etl who can give me not one bit of advice on how to get it done OR offer help.

Then I get treated like I'm failing at my job when I don't get it done.

You're just doing the bare minimum then, and will be looked over in favor of people who seek to excel.

Your TL didn't ask you if it could be done or not, they asked you to do it. The proper response would be, "I'll do my best, but it will be difficult". By asking "how" to do it, I'm sure they're probably looking at you like "Do I need to teach them how to zone a shelf again?"

I've assigned TMs in Guest Service (when I was a GSA) impossible tasks, and if they asked me "how", I would probably stare at them too. Heres a hint: Sometimes it isn't expected that you actually finish ALL of an impossible task. However it is given for one simple reason, to motivate you. If we just let you do the "usual" easy workload, people get lazy and take their time. When we set the bar higher, people will work more efficiently and overall accomplish more.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I am given an impossible task and told to make it happen I work my ass off to get it done, even skip breaks if I have to.

That said it is very stressful and demoralizing and makes for a very upsetting work experience when I have to deal with impossible expectations. I don't want to let my leaders down or make them think I can't do the job.

This is one reason why people quit.

Lots of LOL's here. Using this logic, I could be asked to unload and push the truck by myself. Regardless of whether it's possible or not. That is the logic you are using. Ha ha, make it happen.

SignKitty, I don't work for free. Not taking your breaks is equal to working off the clock.

If I skips my breaks, that is working for free for 2.5 hours a week. I'm sure Target would love if all their employees worked that much free each week.

Lots of LOL's here. Using this logic, I could be asked to unload and push the truck by myself. Regardless of whether it's possible or not. That is the logic you are using. Ha ha, make it happen.

SignKitty, I don't work for free. Not taking your breaks is equal to working off the clock.

If I skips my breaks, that is working for free for 2.5 hours a week. I'm sure Target would love if all their employees worked that much free each week.

You're just doing the bare minimum then, and will be looked over in favor of people who seek to excel.

Your TL didn't ask you if it could be done or not, they asked you to do it. The proper response would be, "I'll do my best, but it will be difficult". By asking "how" to do it, I'm sure they're probably looking at you like "Do I need to teach them how to zone a shelf again?"

I've assigned TMs in Guest Service (when I was a GSA) impossible tasks, and if they asked me "how", I would probably stare at them too. Heres a hint: Sometimes it isn't expected that you actually finish ALL of an impossible task. However it is given for one simple reason, to motivate you. If we just let you do the "usual" easy workload, people get lazy and take their time. When we set the bar higher, people will work more efficiently and overall accomplish more

I didn't say anyone else had to skip their breaks. However I feel like if I was asked to do something its expected I will get it done and thats what I will strive to do no matter what.

By the way It is a shitty motivator to knowingly ask the impossible. Someone who is lazy or doesn't care isn't going to suddenly care and work harder. Meanwhile those that do care will get stressed and finally just give up after a while or have a nervous breakdown.

Not all bosses of course. Here was the situation:

I am given the baby food POG at 6am. It is an 8.5 hour transition. My team lead knew I had to leave at 1:30 to avoid going into OT. I reminded her anyway. She said that after lunch, she would be over to help finish. All is good.

So, I get started. Tie in. Batch labels. Put in the pull. Get cleaning supplies. And I dive in hard.

I'm cleaning and adding new dividers. Moving biter biscuits. AND checking dates.

And then the hammer drops. Here comes my ETL. A nice enough guy.

He says ... How's it going? I say ... Fine. Moving baby food.
He ... Well, Dena (the tl) may not be able to come help you, so I need you to get this done by noon so that we aren't behind. Me ... Oh, I'll try. He ... Make it happen, okay?

I won't go into the frustration I felt right then. Whatever.

So, noon rolls around. I am literally on the floor cleaning the back of a basedeck. Something had spilled back there. Probably years ago. There is all kinds of stuff on the floor. Baby food jars with no wrappers. Old signs that had fallen. Outdated baby food.

Up walks the same ETL. Mind you, I've been in communication with my tl during the morning. She knew the situation and where I was at.

He says ... Are you finished?

All I could do was look at him. What I wanted to say is ... What about this picture says "finished" to you? Name three things that shows how "unfinished" I am.

Clueless. It made all the work I did seem worthless.

Meanwhile, I had to go up for backup cashiering 3 times. Watch electronics once.

But none of that matters. Neither, apparently, does doing a good job. Only, making it happen. Getting it done.

I cant agree more. Drives me crazy when they act like I was lazy or moving slow when I didnt zone the entire Market Section, Do all the pulls, guest service, backup cashier, Do meat coupons + cull, Reshop, collect an entire cart of reshop and work out half a cart more while zoning, working huddle...all in my 5 or so hour closing shift...

Nevermind the fact that we didnt have anyone closing Monday or Tuesday, constantly get pulled to help out other workcenters (opening PA had to do GSTL after Lunch), and lately we have actually had 2 hours or so between opening and closing shifts when nobody is in market.

OH and the best thing...Having literally 4 people scheduled all day in Hardlines and Softlines combined!!!!

Lmao, if I had to cover GSTL my Redcard callout would be...

"Remember to help guests save 5% with the Target redcard, 2 second pause, and to ALWAYS wash rinse and sanitize!"

Another one I have saved up is...

"LOD, the SDA is complete"

LOD replies "Thank you"

"Just kidding, but I did save 5% by opening up a Target Red Card, blah, blah blah"

Yes! My store team lead was shouting over the walking how much reshop all of hard lines had while all of hard lines beside the electronics guy was on the lanes one day. I was thinking to myself while trying not to say something in front of the guess "shut the hell up seriously." We get there's reshop, but maybe if you scheduled cashiers we wouldn't be on the lanes all day.

I've assigned TMs in Guest Service (when I was a GSA) impossible tasks, and if they asked me "how", I would probably stare at them too. Heres a hint: Sometimes it isn't expected that you actually finish ALL of an impossible task. However it is given for one simple reason, to motivate you. If we just let you do the "usual" easy workload, people get lazy and take their time. When we set the bar higher, people will work more efficiently and overall accomplish more

I was the only one given the po

Thanks for commenting that ... I am only doing the bare minimum.

No, the bare minimum would have been not checking the dates like other workcenters. FIFO? Ha ha. Who cares right.

My point being that my tl, very new, and etl, clueless, seemed to have no idea how involved it was.

And as for the comment about being looked over in favor of people who seek to excel, looked over for what? Promotion. I wouldn't promote if they doubled my pay. If you meant for hours, more lol's because no one wants to work here.

Why do you think I was given one of the most involved, time intensive pogs that week? IMHO, it's because I do excel and push myself. Or I could have been given the diaper pog, but that went to a girl who had to come ask me to move her shelves because she couldn't do it.

But I won't be "set up" to fail at an impossible task. And then be criticized by a clueless etl.

Last edited:
My favorite is - We don't complete enough of the drastic count during the week.

So on the weekends we make sure to leave our last hour so we can turn off the radio and work on it.

Gets stopped by the STL to teach the newbie in electronics how to merch clearance. With 20 min left in my shift, and I still hadn't been able to get to the drastic count, being stuck on a register for an hour will put a crimp in your plans. Five cashier call outs will cause lines to be long.

And since it was so busy the electronics newbie never had the chance to even look at the clearance. So I had to push it.

Given a coaching for not completing the drastic count report on Monday.. It was a hostile meeting...

My favorite is - We don't complete enough of the drastic count during the week.

So on the weekends we make sure to leave our last hour so we can turn off the radio and work on it.

Gets stopped by the STL to teach the newbie in electronics how to merch clearance. With 20 min left in my shift, and I still hadn't been able to get to the drastic count, being stuck on a register for an hour will put a crimp in your plans. Five cashier call outs will cause lines to be long.

And since it was so busy the electronics newbie never had the chance to even look at the clearance. So I had to push it.

Given a coaching for not completing the drastic count report on Monday.. It was a hostile meeting...

Which begs the question ... Did you receive an actual coaching? And I know it's hard to tell sometimes. Some tl's and others like to obscure the fact it's a coaching.

Which begs the question ... Did you receive an actual coaching? And I know it's hard to tell sometimes. Some tl's and others like to obscure the fact it's a coaching.
I always ask if I need to sign something...they get fidgety at that point. I'm always tempted to ask if I can have a second team member as an impartial party there as well...I think they've given up on trying to talk me into drinking their brand of Kool-aid though.​

While I agree giving someone who wanders and does the bare minimum a harder task can be motivating, it definitely makes me want to stab you with a spork. I bust ass the whole shift every shift with few exceptions...if you want me to work harder in the same 8hr shift you'd better be buying me a drink or handing me a cute stuffed bullseye. I've been known to do the impossible, but I too have more experience than my ctl and area knowledge than my etl.

And if I say I can do it but only if _____ happens I mean it. I think I'm lucky my tls are clueless but comfortable enough not to talk around crap.

Yesterday I asked about what day the meat/produce revisions would get done. Ctl says you can look tomorrow and see what you can do. Opening pa did next to nothing. When my ctl asked which I was doing I told him meat cause I had the product and it was the quickest and I had to cover for the openers lazy ass. Unless he likes the empty shelf but full backroom look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back