Archived Why are bosses clueless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Setting difficult goals is a part of life. Get used to it, or prepare to miss out.
You state this as if it's a fact. It sounds more like a motto. The Earth turning is a fact of life.

I don't mind setting goals. The problem I have are unattainable goals.

When the people setting the goals are clueless, that's when there are problems.

Also, why is there always, ALWAYS, this discrepancy between hours on the adjacency calendar and what stores schedule? It seems needlessly complicated. Target corp sends all these stores a list saying ... Hey, here is how long this will take. But then the stores play loose and free with it. I get it's a guide. But like I said, needlessly complicated.

I AGREE with you!

But, unfortunately I don't know what will our complaint do on a forum here that most people seem to ignore. No top company exec has ever addressed our concerns on this forum.

To solve the problem we have, I feel that we should escalate it to the company top people. Do you have any idea how to do this?

They don't care, if you don't want to do the job there are 100 people willing to take your place next week :p

Setting difficult goals is a part of life. Get used to it, or prepare to miss out.
You state this as if it's a fact. It sounds more like a motto. The Earth turning is a fact of life.

Also, why is there always, ALWAYS, this discrepancy between hours on the adjacency calendar and what stores schedule? It seems needlessly complicated. Target corp sends all these stores a list saying ... Hey, here is how long this will take. But then the stores play loose and free with it. I get it's a guide. But like I said, needlessly complicated.

I AGREE with you!

But, unfortunately I don't know what will our complaint do on a forum here that most people seem to ignore. No top company exec has ever addressed our concerns on this forum.

To solve the problem we have, I feel that we should escalate it to the company top people. Do you have any idea how to do this?

They don't care, if you don't want to do the job there are 100 people willing to take your place next week :p

But how many of them will be hard workers? How many will have the knowledge to really do the job well? How many will actually stay for at lest 90 days?

Goals are only unattainable if you give up. Clearly people who make records should have given up because it's not possible! Lol

wait, what? You mean to tell me we can complete a 24000 piece truck on time with 5 callouts so long as we "don't give up" - HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Or 400 hours of POG with the 300 hours given by Payroll? Or 3000 units of pricing within 16 manhours?

dude.

Last edited:
Goals are only unattainable if you give up. Clearly people who make records should have given up because it's not possible! Lol

wait, what? You mean to tell me we can complete a 2400 piece truck on time with 5 callouts so long as we "don't give up" - HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Or 400 hours of POG with the 300 hours given by Payroll? Or 3000 units of pricing within 16 manhours?

dude.

It's not always about actually achieving that impossible goal, but about having a more positive mindset - as in "I can do this."

That said, Spot's motivation methods aren't exactly known for inspiring confidence in the team members assigned such tasks. Instead of "I know it's not easy, but if anyone at our store can do this, it's you," many leaders these days go for the "I don't care if it's impossible, figure it out or you're fired."

wait, what? You mean to tell me we can complete a 2400 piece truck on time with 5 callouts so long as we "don't give up" - HAHAHAHAHAHA.

dude.

It's not always about actually achieving that impossible goal, but about having a more positive mindset - as in "I can do this."

That said, Spot's motivation methods aren't exactly known for inspiring confidence in the team members assigned such tasks. Instead of "I know it's not easy, but if anyone at our store can do this, it's you," many leaders these days go for the "I don't care if it's impossible, figure it out or you're fired."

Being in that mindset will set you up for success in life.... :)

I AGREE with you!

And I will just sit back and watch the slow fall of a what was once a great company.

I AGREE with you!

And I will just sit back and watch the slow fall of a what was once a great company.

I wouldn't say they are going to fall from being a great company just because some people can't accept challenges.

At any rate, just because employees aren't happy doesn't translate into a non-successful business. A lot of people including me still shop at Target because its a good place to shop. That won't change just because of surly Team Members.

I AGREE with you!

LMAO
Those are people with NO clue how to do it, but they ONLY think they can do it. Kitty is right, how many are going to be hard workers? How many are that good at setting planogram? How many are going to stay honest at what they do, given impossible tasks? People will do half-assed jobs, trust me, I seen enough of that to be certain of it! Yet, these people still keep their jobs, because, again their bosses are completely CLUELESS! Or, that they don't care jobs are done half-assed. Either wouldn't surprise me at this point.

You managers really are ignorant, if you think it's that easy to motivate people into doing the impossible, it's so absurd it's LAUGHABLE!

Trust me, what we do in Revision or POGs AREN'T easy at all. Most of what we do are hard work (and often thought-provoking), not depend on how to talk or how to assist guests. Planogram isn't sales floor or cashier!!! Those are easy, but it is not what Planogram is about! Without enough help or common sense to balance the hours fairly (those are which is the complaint of this thread), you are either asking GREAT employees to suffer personally or asking bad employees to do the job, and like I said 100 of them may tell you they are fast and got it done in half of time, but the truth is that they LIE to you and done a half-assed job!

I have personally seen that we asked flow team to help us setting planogram before in the past, and NO, don't want these people back to help us anymore! They don't know what they are doing!!! They mess it up more than they help us!

The point is, just because people think they can do it, doesn't mean they are any GOOD at it!

I am sorry, barcode, all due with respect, but I have to say that YOU JUST HAVE NO IDEA HERE!

Last edited:
Sorry but as someone who is ASKED for the impossible I disagree with your disagreement. I guess thats the diffrence between being the asker and the asked. Its easy for you to justify it because you just get to walk away and hope for the best. Meanwhile I'm the one that gets all the stress and feels like a failure if it doesn't happen.

It's not the difference. I always aim for the impossible. The goal is to get as close as possible and closer than I have in the past.

I aim to not kill myself, or injury my body while already working hard, to work as if I were in a marathon or something... running, sprinting, breathing hard, non stop sweating!

No, work should NOT be about make yourself suffer in order to come to close to get impossible tasks done.

Last edited:

I AGREE with you!

LMAO
Those are people with NO clue how to do it, but they ONLY think they can do it. Kitty is right, how many are going to be hard workers? How many are that good at setting planogram? How many are going to stay honest at what they do, given impossible tasks? People will do half-assed jobs, trust me, I seen enough of that to be certain of it! Yet, these people still keep their jobs, because, again their bosses are completely CLUELESS! Or, that they don't care jobs are done half-assed. Either wouldn't surprise me at this point.

You managers really are ignorant, if you think it's that easy to motivate people into doing the impossible, it's so absurd it's LAUGHABLE!

Trust me, what we do in Revision or POGs AREN'T easy at all. Most of what we do are hard work (and often thought-provoking), not depend on how to talk or how to assist guests. Planogram isn't sales floor or cashier!!! Those are easy, but it is not what Planogram is about! Without enough help or common sense to balance the hours fairly (those are which is the complaint of this thread), you are either asking GREAT employees to suffer personally or asking bad employees to do the job, and like I said 100 of them may tell you they are fast and got it done in half of time, but the truth is that they LIE to you and done a half-assed job!

I have personally seen that we asked flow team to help us setting planogram before in the past, and NO, don't want these people back to help us anymore! They don't know what they are doing!!! They mess it up more than they help us!

The point is, just because people think they can do it, doesn't mean they are any GOOD at it!

I am sorry, barcode, all due with respect, but I have to say that YOU JUST HAVE NO IDEA HERE!

Sorry but it takes 30 minutes to teach somebody the basics of Planogram. It's not a hard concept. I helped Planogram do sets and I never even worked in that department. Stop trying to act like its Rocket Science and Target is going to have a hard time filling that Plano spot.

I aim to not kill myself, or injury my body while already working hard, to work as if I were in a marathon or something... running, sprinting, breathing hard, non stop sweating!

No, work should NOT be about make yourself suffer in order to come to close to get impossible tasks done.

Getting the most done is typically about finding the best way to complete a task and doing it in the most efficient manner possible, not pushing yourself to your physical limits and making yourself cough up blood.

I AGREE with you!

LMAO

Sorry but it takes 30 minutes to teach somebody the basics of Planogram. It's not a hard concept. I helped Planogram do sets and I never even worked in that department. Stop trying to act like its Rocket Science and Target is going to have a hard time filling that Plano spot.

Comon, there is a huge difference on your own, setting and pushing one of the aisle with 200-300 pegs or 30-40 shelfs in HBA that has so much merchandise on it to work with, and your idea of setting (an EASY) planogram.

It's always that a TL who do a easy pog and think everything else is easy as what they did. Which is hardly the case!

And, it's foolish to think there is a more efficient way to set than follow the A-B-Cs... TTs and 76, 75, 74... and setting the shelfs to the height that they TELL you to set at. That is how you do it, with precision often. You CAN'T just put the pegs or shelfs anywhere, or else it just won't fit.

But that's how most clueless bosses do it.

I consider myself to be the most experienced planogram setter on my team, yet that doesn't even mean I can do the impossible!

Last edited:

LMAO

Comon, there is a huge difference on your own, setting and pushing one of the aisle with 200-300 pegs or 30-40 shelfs in HBA that has so much merchandise on it to work with, and your idea of setting (an EASY) planogram.

It's always that a TL who do a easy pog and think everything else is easy as what they did. Which is hardly the case!
Not really no. Just more time consuming. Nuts and bolts are the same as any smaller/simpler Planogram.

Try being responsible for planning out 28 Endcaps every ~4 weeks and having to Scan, Pull (usually by myself), grab all the shelves/pegs/signs, and set them all by myself within the course of a week, while balancing with my REAL job at the same time? At least you have dedicated hours for POG, I wasn't so fortunate but you don't hear me complaining that its impossible.

I will repeat this

And, it's foolish to think there is a more efficient way to set than follow the A-B-Cs... TTs and 76, 75, 74... and setting the shelfs to the height that they TELL you to set at. That is how you do it, with precision often. You CAN'T just put the pegs anywhere, or else it just won't fit.
I consider myself to be the most experienced planogram setter on my team, yet that doesn't even mean I can do the impossible!

Setting Sales planners isn't anywhere as hard as setting POGS or doing 'certain' revisions, every planogram regulars on my team know this fact!

We all done it, to help out, and feel it's just MUCH easier than what do on regular basis!

Setting a Planogram isn't hard period. You can print it off Online Planogram and it shows the exact spacings/holes for each fixture. You could have a monkey set the POG with instructions that brain-dead easy...

Ummm, no. 1) I ACTUALLY Know for a fact, not everyone has that kind of brain who works at Target to do that. Many have done it, and say it's too hard and yes it's a fact I am not making it up! 2) It's not hard for people like MYSELF but what I am talking about is you have to deal with SO much (pegs, shelves and little stuff to push back)!

Ummm, no. 1) I ACTUALLY Know for a fact, not everyone has that kind of brain who works at Target to do that. Many have done it, and say it's too hard and yes it's a fact I am not making it up! 2) It's not hard for people like MYSELF but what I am talking about is you have to deal with SO much (pegs, shelves and little stuff to push back)!
If dealing with inanimate objects has you stressed out, just be thankful you don't work in a Guest Driven workcenter...

Do you all want rulers so you can whip them out and make this contest official?

Yard sticks please. ^_^

In all seriousness though @CaptainRevision , this is a pointless argument. I'm not saying your job doesn't have its difficulties, what I was trying to stress is that there is NOTHING wrong with your boss giving you a slightly unrealistic workload for you to strive towards. Even outside Spot in my new job, I get added responsibilities each day and have to constantly improve.

Retail Girl, I just can't stand people who don't do the work (I am not talking about occasionally helping out or setting an easy planogram, but full load 40+ hours in every difficult department imaginable - Soup cans, HBA, Baby food, Cosmetics, yogurts in freezer, etc) and think it's easy when they do so little to realize the full extent of it!

I challenge anyone who do a Soup can aisle on Monday, Medicine aisle on Tuesday, Yogurt Aisle on Wednesday (or whichever that has 8 or so sections big in the freezers), a Revlon/Cover Girl/Maybellion aisle on Thursday, and finish it off with the Baby food aisle on Friday to tell me this work is easy stuff without stress! *SIGH*

Last edited:
You can't solve a problem, until you first ADMIT there is a problem.

But here we are, TMs honestly report a very real and concerning problem, what we get? Bosses say "Work harder, then you will achieve the impossible" and don't want to admit there is a problem! :rolleyes:

All these denials by clueless bosses thinks it's all about motivation crap, think one person can handle a 10-12 hour planogram in just 6-8 hours, are full of themselves! They obviously never done one of these themselves! And the most insulting of all? Thinking we aren't already working as hard as we can.

And, this problem ISN'T gonna go away, no matter who you put to the task, no matter who you hire/replace, the ignorance is all on you!

I can SWEAR to you no one who is honest and a good legit worker is gonna get it done, period. Not because of lack of positiveness, nor speed, nor efficiency. But Why? Because of it's nature, because it is a 10-12 hour planogram that is seriously complex or I should say tedious (Because really it's not hard, it's just annoy repetition of a task over and over 100-300 times) in every way! Anyone who isn't really a good worker, did the aisle half-assed way, yeah they will tell you they faster and get it done, but they just FOOLED you! Next time, make sure to check how many shelfs aren't cleaned? How many label strips are still dirty? How many shelves are set to the wrong height?

Don't laugh and ignore what we are saying here, as Bosch said, Target was once a great company, now it's falling, due to ignorant beliefs just like this!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back