Archived Why Are No Good Seasonals Hard To Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re hard to get rid of because your ETL HR is too concerned with their turnover and retention metrics to let you term them.

Someone was just saying they termed a seasonal for ‘getting too close to hitting compliance too often’.

If they’re no good, they they’re ‘not a good fit’. Reason enough.

So we had a seasonal TM doing pulls today. I see why you guys don't like us. I got electronics lockup stuff in my pulls. I appreciate the few minutes at the boat waiting for an electronics TM to get free so I can hand that stuff off, but uh guests like to rifle through my vehicle if I'm not right there for some reason. Not a good idea to recycle a repack box, put video games in it and put it a vehicle loaded with Paw Patrol and Lego stuff. Not a good idea at all.

lol, I kinda sorta do a low key version of this myself. I put in my effort to get through Q4, come home every day feeling like I've been hit by a bus, and once the holidays are finally, finally FINALLY over I slow it down by 9000% because I've earned it. Gotta get in some meditation for when the hours drop from 40 to 12 in one week.
Coast down from the high, don't just crash and burn like John Denver in his experimental plane!

we really can’t keep a seasonal cashier this year! it is actually a running joke at my store at this point. it is absolutely insane.

one was AP’d out. two put in their two weeks. five never showed up to their training shift. three only showed up for the cashier training shift to never be heard from again and two (or three i can’t keep track at this point) worked for like two weeks and then disappeared. fast, fun, and friendly in the front end... emphasis on the fun!

They’re hard to get rid of because your ETL HR is too concerned with their turnover and retention metrics to let you term them.

The termination of Seasonal TMs actually doesn't count against the store in the turnover and retention metrics. Only Regular TMs being terminated will affect the metrics.

Last edited:
So we had a seasonal TM doing pulls today. I see why you guys don't like us. I got electronics lockup stuff in my pulls. I appreciate the few minutes at the boat waiting for an electronics TM to get free so I can hand that stuff off, but uh guests like to rifle through my vehicle if I'm not right there for some reason. Not a good idea to recycle a repack box, put video games in it and put it a vehicle loaded with Paw Patrol and Lego stuff. Not a good idea at all.
I’m confused . Are you electronics or backroom? Because if I pull they can come and get it . I don’t need to go and hand it.

I’m confused . Are you electronics or backroom? Because if I pull they can come and get it . I don’t need to go and hand it.

I'm neither. It was just pulls that I took from the line. I'd grab a toys pull and find electronics stuff in it after taking it to the floor to work.

The termination of Seasonal TMs actually doesn't count against the store in the turnover and retention metrics. Only Regular TMs being terminated will affect the metrics.
Oh, I forgot to mention we hired a bunch too early for them to be able to be ‘seasonal’ plus the whole avoiding hiring seasonal electronics but hiring ‘seasonal’ electronics 😂

I'm neither. It was just pulls that I took from the line. I'd grab a toys pull and find electronics stuff in it after taking it to the floor to work.

In my store, that means you put it where it belongs. Not wait for another TM to do it for you.

In my store, that means you put it where it belongs. Not wait for another TM to do it for you.

Can't do that with stuff that requires a key to put away or that needs other security measures. Sure, get a random box of pens in a pull, you go put that away. You get something that came out of the electronics lockup, that's going to have to be handed over to an electronics TM because they have the tools to do what needs to be done with it.

Can't do that with stuff that requires a key to put away or that needs other security measures. Sure, get a random box of pens in a pull, you go put that away. You get something that came out of the electronics lockup, that's going to have to be handed over to an electronics TM because they have the tools to do what needs to be done with it.

This sounds like someone who would leave a robot vacuum at the electronics boat to be spider wrapped by someone else instead of asking to be shown how to use the spider wrap yourself.

This sounds like someone who would leave a robot vacuum at the electronics boat to be spider wrapped by someone else instead of asking to be shown how to use the spider wrap yourself.
lol when electronics comes in every morning there’s always a pile of vacuums and baby monitors to be spider wrapped.. people stop by and say ‘they’ll come back’ and pick the items up but I get in at 3pm some days and there should still a huge pile

If it requires a key, where is @seasonaldude supposed to get the key? Pull it out of his ass? Make it with legos? Or hand the stuff over to someone with a key?

"Electronics, can you come to aisle XX with a key, please?" Key arrives, item gets put away.

Yeah, sure. Instead of waiting at the boat for an electronics TM to be free so I can give them the pulls that should be theirs, I should walk to an aisle, call them on a walkie, and let the whole store know I'm waiting for them to come and unlock a case so I can put something away. You've really saved a lot of time and made things more efficient there. That would also be a great way to change the good and cooperative working relationship I currently have with the electronics team into an antagonistic one. My section is right across the aisle from electronics. I generally know what they are doing with a glance. I cover their breaks. I hold the keys when they have to pee. I clear the call box when I'm closer to it than an electronics TM. I help guests who have purchased TVs out to the car so electronics can stay at the boat. When they get called to go to 3 and are with a guest, I'm the one who responds that they are with a guest and asks if there is anything I can help with. I take their phone calls when they are busy. I help them out and in return they help me out when I'm busy.

Your implication that I'm being a bad or lazy TM by handing off their lockup items to them couldn't be more wrong. I have a good relationship with electronics and no one on their team would tell you I'm doing anything other than what I'm supposed to be doing. That I can guarantee. If they wanted me to do something different, they'd just tell me that because we get along and help each other. So away with your wrong and unnecessary judgemental attitude.

Yeah, sure. Instead of waiting at the boat for an electronics TM to be free so I can give them the pulls that should be theirs

That is an excellent point. People are saying that you should be doing tasks assigned to other people who aren't even in the same department. Would any of the folks telling you to do electronics push want to volunteer to push men's basics for me if someone tossed a pair of socks in their pull? Or is simply handing the out of department stuff to someone in softlines good for them but not you?

@can't touch this, I think most of us do this to some degree. It's crazy-busy and we're all racing during our shifts - when the holidays are done, it's like "whew! we made it through!" I don't begrudge the hard workers backing off and relaxing when the crush is over. It's consistency that counts - don't try to impress me with how great you are and then turn into the complete opposite. And STAY opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back